DirecTV price increase coming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How would you know? Do you have D*?.I would rather have strecho vision than HD Lite like E* subscribers have now.;)

I wouldn't go that far. Stretched channels are a disgrace. I do not watch stretched programming: I watch the SD feed. More often than not, I watch nothing on any channel that chooses to stretch content (SD or HD).

I wouldn't go that far. Stretched channels are a disgrace. I do not watch stretched programming: I watch the SD feed. More often than not, I watch nothing on any channel that chooses to stretch content (SD or HD).

Why?.Did you really think all these programmers were hiding hours and hours
of HD programming?.It's a start and will become less and less,but it would not even have happened if it wasn't for DirecTV.They are the ones who have
kick started the HD channels and programming.:rolleyes:

I dont believe it is Directv's fault these channels don't produce much in HD. They are ahead of the curve in getting their HD channels up, so when they do have programming they don't have to go through the clearance issues. So what? If you don't want to watch what's on those channels then don't.

Why?.Did you really think all these programmers were hiding hours and hours
of HD programming?.It's a start and will become less and less,but it would not even have happened if it wasn't for DirecTV.They are the ones who have
kick started the HD channels and programming.:rolleyes:

You missed the point. I want the new channels, even if they don't show native HD. If we don't have it we definitely won't see the HD they eventually send. I was specifically responding to the statement you made about stretch-o-vision versus Dish's HD Lite.

Stretch-o-vision is only on a handful of channels. Until they quit stretching them, I will be watching the SD feed. When those channels do get their head out of the sand and stop distorting their own content, I'll gladly watch.

If Dish had those channels, they would be just as distorted AND overcompressed. I think the stretch-o-vision comments people make are completely separate from those about upconverted content. Upconverted content is superior to the SD feed. Stretched content is not.

What other ESPN's are there ?

Hmmm. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNews, ESPN Classic, ESPN DEPORTES, ESPNU (college sports), ESPN Alt (occasionally)

ESPN Ocho nearly here... Dodgeball? Moments away.

P.S. Loved the classic line in Dodgeball "ESPN the Ocho!" - funny movie

The whole system is rigged. It doesn't matter from where you get your cable television programming -- increases are routine and as predictable as rain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong -- but hasn't it been two consecutive years DirecTV raised [some] subscription prices? And in the month of March!?

DISH has had a price increase every year since 1999. I believe Directv has also followed through with their own price increases or they have redone their programming packs to reflect some kind of price increase or loss of some channels in the older packs. Cable has a price increase EVERY year and now satellite is just like them.

What "EXTRA $ 10 ???" we have always paid $ 10 for the HD channels so it nothing extra... the others are optional, at least so far. although I think they should be included.

How's the HDNet lawsuit coming ? anyone heard anything about it ?

Jimbo
We have paid 10 dollars for the hd Pak, come january or so we will pay 10 dollars for access to HD programming and another 5 dollars for the HD pak. A 5 dollar increase total.

You missed the point. I want the new channels, even if they don't show native HD.
If distributors are willing to carry a channel without having any HD content on it, what's the motivation to push for HD content? It should take more than a stretch-o-vision bone or simple upconverts to call yourself HD.

I'd imagine that the MTV networks see things as competing with themselves. They have to be wondering what the point is. Bravo went there once already.

DISH has had a price increase every year since 1999. I believe Directv has also followed through with their own price increases or they have redone their programming packs to reflect some kind of price increase or loss of some channels in the older packs. Cable has a price increase EVERY year and now satellite is just like them.

No different than most companies in most industries.

I can't thnk of too many things I pay the same for now that I did last year, certainly not 2 years ago.

Now - I'm not defending a price increase, I am just stating that I see no real issue, I see them all around me - all the time.

I can't thnk of too many things I pay the same for now that I did last year, certainly not 2 years ago.

Now - I'm not defending a price increase, I am just stating that I see no real issue, I see them all around me - all the time.

Exactly right.

Somehow many more people become outspoken when their TV viewing bill increases by as llittle as $1/month, but remain quiet over much larger increases in food, housing, insurance, fuel.... there's this mindset that pay-tv ought to be free, and it's not rational.

Fact is, HD is a luxury service and nobody should be surprised that it costs a bit more and can be subject to more increases than your basic subscriptions.

I think D* should've never said that there wasn't going to be a price increase. Then once the new channels went up change the HD Access fee to $15 and not create the HD pack. While there would've been some complaining (not by me though) I think most people would've accepted it knowing that with the amount of new HD they got and D*'s costs in giving it to us they were getting a lot of value for the money. Not to mention it is still less than what E* charges for fewer HD channels. They also would've avoided the lawsuit from HD Net. And D* would've made more money because they would've gotten the extra $5 from everybody with HD instead of just those willing to pay for the HD Extra Pack.

The only issue I see is that sooner or later they will price themselves right out of the average consumer's hands with the continued price increases. Remember the baby boomers, the largest demograhpic group of Americans since after WWII, are getting older , and with that comes fixed incomes . That means the first thing to go is luxuries like hdtv and large premium programming packs. Cable alread saw defections when satellite was created because they offered more bang for a much smaller buck. That is why I went with them and more selection. Telecos have started now that seem to have had a small effect on satellite customers, but the deflections are growing. Remember that internet tv is the next big thing to come that will take subs away from both satellite ,cable and the telecos. Sooner or later there will be a backlash if bigger and bigger price increases keep coming and there is little in value to show for them.

Also what's up with E*'s HD access fee?.Is that another"because we are E* we can fee"?.:confused:
Obviously, like D*'s relatively long commitment, it is a method of subsidizing a HD DVR that comes without an up-front fee and optionally with no commitment. $6.99 may be survivable when $20 is not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.