DirecTV Price Increase Effective 2/27/08

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm trying to figure out why Dish raised prices when they really didn't add that many channels?.
Oh yeah I remember now Lawyer's fees!.:D

They may not have added as many channels yet, but they didn't raise my fees either. Actually, gave me a way to lower my costs with the split up of the HD package and the Cinnemax for a Penny a year. :)

You must be confused with the better tv company crap that Directv always dishes out.:D

Hey its not just tv prices going up.....Every consumer item in the country is increasing. Inflation as a result of energy costs. Our money is slowing becoming worth less because of high oil prices. It will turn around but for now...Hang on.

They may not have added as many channels yet, but they didn't raise my fees either. Actually, gave me a way to lower my costs with the split up of the HD package and the Cinnemax for a Penny a year. :)

You must be confused with the better tv company crap that Directv always dishes out.:D

HAHAH Dish is the KING of nickel & dime fees. On top of falling behind now!

You mean splitting the HD package to make it look more like D*'s pricing ($10 for the HD counter part of SD channels and an extra charge for HD only channels)? And for the Cinemax offer I wonder if that would have come along if E* wasn't in the current bandwidth crunch and falling behind D* on HD channels? Good thing you weren't a AEP subscriber since you'd get nothing out of the Cinemax deal, which I've seen some E* subs post their unhappiness about.

HAHAH Dish is the KING of nickel & dime fees. On top of falling behind now!

Even with a $3.00 increase, effective February, my Dish Network package is still attractive, pricewise. America's Top 100, with locals, will be under $40 a month--and that's with a two room receiver. Dish also has a terrific promotion, Cinemax for at least 2 years for a penny a year, provided you switch to paperless billing and autopay...I was on the phone for less than five minutes to take advantage of this a month ago.

Ironically, DirecTV sent me the latest in a series of "We Want You Back" emails this morning. I'm not biting, because after the introductory period is over, I can't afford or justify the monthly rate of anything they offer except for the Family Package any longer..and that package is a joke.

Even with a $3.00 increase, effective February, my Dish Network package is still attractive, pricewise. America's Top 100, with locals, will be under $40 a month--and that's with a two room receiver. Dish also has a terrific promotion, Cinemax for at least 2 years for a penny a year, provided you switch to paperless billing and autopay...I was on the phone for less than five minutes to take advantage of this a month ago.

Ironically, DirecTV sent me the latest in a series of "We Want You Back" emails this morning. I'm not biting, because after the introductory period is over, I can't afford or justify the monthly rate of anything they offer except for the Family Package any longer..and that package is a joke.

We are glad your happy and we hope that after the Tivo lawsuit your DVR still works.;)

Last edited:
You mean splitting the HD package to make it look more like D*'s pricing ($10 for the HD counter part of SD channels and an extra charge for HD only channels)? And for the Cinemax offer I wonder if that would have come along if E* wasn't in the current bandwidth crunch and falling behind D* on HD channels? Good thing you weren't a AEP subscriber since you'd get nothing out of the Cinemax deal, which I've seen some E* subs post their unhappiness about.

I agree what a shot in the butt for DISH's AEP subscribers.They know Charlie thinks highly of them now.:eek:

I agree I was confused but not any more.See I had Dishnotwrok for almost 5 years.The confusion does end though with DirecTV.:rolleyes:

However you want to rationalize it is more than fine with me.

I said that when the price of sat tv went over $100.00 a month I would cut back , but I didn't. I added HD instead and have been paying over $135.00 a month for the last year . THis year with either DISH or DIRECTV you will see a $5.00 increase on their AEP /PRemier packs. AT least Directv will allow you to cut down to a dvr plus pack and it covers ALL the dvrs on your account. DISH only covers one and you have to pay $6.00 for an hd dvr vs $5.00 for an sd dvr. DIRECTv seems to care about keeping the price for dvrs down for the lower choice pack subs and DISH seems to care about only keeping the price down for the AEP subs with dvrs. I would cut down to a dvr advantge pack with DISH but get hit with $11.98 in dvr fees for doing so and lose programming . AT least DISH has followed DIRECTV with their 10.00 hd pack . I can drop my hd programming by $10.00 and absorb the $5.00 price increase with AEP and still lower my bill by $5.00 this year.

BUt in the end I will have to decide what is more important. WE have had 8 years of price increases with no end in sight. I started AEP at $69.99 and now it will be $99.99 with locals. THat is a $30.00 increase in over 7 years . IF this keeps up and my salary doesn't , I will have to decide whether all this extra programming is worth it. I could always go with ota now that it is all in hd . That may be where we are all headed if the yearly price increases keep up. When Americans finally have enough of these price increases they will cut down on programming and extras and push back . Then they will have to cut down on the inflated price of programming. Does anyone really think that HBO is worth $14.00 a month?

Don't know about HBO only know DISH subscribers are paying $14.99 now for HBO.:eek:

For of you who want to get rid of the protection plan. Service call fees are $79.95 without the protection plan. The plan itself maybe good for all of those failures of equitment. But for the price increases I would definetly let D* know your feedback or escalate to an superviors and get 6 months free of HD Extra Pack. Which most people still see as that is an rip off, but we will see. And for the remote control replacements they are $15 dollars. But the retail price for HD-Dvr dropped to $199, but they might charge you $0 to $99 for the installation and then $19.95 for shipping and handling for an idiot technican to come out and install it wrong or damage your home. Where does the price increases stop... I want to know that.

Actually, I've been told that D* increase the price of service calls to approx. $90 without the protection plan. This was done to encourage more customers to sign up for the protection plan.

And prices, for everything, will never stop increasing...ever.

Although the prices have increased dramatically in the past 5-7 years, look at how many more channels have been added since then. Perhaps some new packages need to be created that are more affordable again. Dish Network Family Package for $20 is a good start. Their next package going to $33 ($38 with locals) is a lot for a basic package in my opinion and the $20 package doesn't exactly have what I would call a basic package but it would be better than nothing for those people that need an affordable package. I think it will keep customers subscribed to the service if they cannot afford much instead of losing the subscriber altogether.

Although the prices have increased dramatically in the past 5-7 years, look at how many more channels have been added since then. Perhaps some new packages need to be created that are more affordable again. Dish Network Family Package for $20 is a good start. Their next package going to $33 ($38 with locals) is a lot for a basic package in my opinion and the $20 package doesn't exactly have what I would call a basic package but it would be better than nothing for those people that need an affordable package. I think it will keep customers subscribed to the service if they cannot afford much instead of losing the subscriber altogether.

OMG why don't you just post the all the Dish prices here!.IN THE DIRECTV FORUM !!.:mad:

Are you a Dish installer hurting for business?:hungry:

Last edited:
Cox in norfolk is looking better.
FIOS too if they would just improve that DVR. I wonder how thats coming? I think if D* keeps raising prices they will price themselves out competition for future HD customers. If not and prices keep going up for all providers then HD may be DOA.

i knew this would turn into a pi**ing match between the Dish folks and the Direct TV folks..
Here again, the best way to decide is to COMPARE the 2 package to package..if you are a new Dish customer, they will look much cheaper that Direct TV...Also, didnt Dish just announce a price freeze until April of 2009?

FIOS too if they would just improve that DVR. I wonder how thats coming? I think if D* keeps raising prices they will price themselves out competition for future HD customers. If not and prices keep going up for all providers then HD may be DOA.

Verizon doesn't increase the FIOS prices:rolleyes:

From Verizon Sets First FiOS Rate Hike - 11/20/2006 6:55:00 PM - Multichannel News (11/20/06)

"Verizon Communications plans to raise the rates for its most widely distributed Verizon FiOS TV programming packages by 7.6% in January."

From Verizon to Boost FiOS TV Rates for New Subscribers - 11/20/2007 12:00:00 PM - Multichannel News (11/20/07)

"Verizon will kick up the price of its primary FiOS TV programming package by 12% for subscribers who sign up after Jan. 20, 2008."

i knew this would turn into a pi**ing match between the Dish folks and the Direct TV folks..
Here again, the best way to decide is to COMPARE the 2 package to package..if you are a new Dish customer, they will look much cheaper that Direct TV...Also, didnt Dish just announce a price freeze until April of 2009?

NO.I agree COMPARE the channels that are missing with Dish,COMPARED to DirecTV

Last edited:
Have'nt we had an increase every year for the last 4 years of $3 , or has it been 5 years , My question is when does it stop, will we all be paying $200 to watch Tv by 2020 .

Yes, we probably will and we will also be paying $14.95 for a loaf of bread.
Do the math.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)