DirecTV Price Increase Effective 2/27/08

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just got this email....

Dear DIRECTV Customer:

Effective February 27, 2008, the monthly price of some DIRECTV® programming packages will change.
Please click here for pricing information in English and Spanish.

If you're not sure what amount you currently pay for your package, you can access your account online by signing in at directv.com.

At directv.com you can also:

• View recent transactions and account balance

• Pay your bill

• Order DIRECTV® Pay Per View movies and events

If you do not have online access, you can always call us at 1-800-531-5000.

For seven years running, DIRECTV has had higher customer satisfaction ratings than cable*, thanks to loyal customers like you. Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV, Inc.

Here is the attached pricing details - a PDF.

Now we have all the details :)

Attachments

• 2008pricing.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 277
These price increases can't keep continuing with the way the economy is going. After so many of these it will price TV out of the range for most people or they will be forced to the cheapest possible package available.

That's what they said about gas prices, cigarette prices, ONE Starbucks coffee, etc.

$3.00 for me isn't going to impact much on my monthly retired income. If I smoked, I'd drop one pack a month, or combine a few more trips if I needed to.
People are still buying and using 4x4s (I have 2-required where I live).

Bottom line--D* has made big improvements with D10, and if the Space Gods prevail, D11 will bring much more. Gee, that must be costing them something.

I've always had super customer support when I needed it-even got my HR20-100 free where some didn't. I don't know why that would be except that I always treated CS with respect, and I think that helps a lot.

Some good things you just have to pony up for, or cancel. No whining.

Bottom line--D* has made big improvements with D10, and if the Space Gods prevail, D11 will bring much more. Gee, that must be costing them something.
Given that the new satellites are dedicated almost entirely to HD programming why does its price stay the same while SD packages go up?

I think they should have a senior citizens packges.Ha!

Choice $52.99 (up $3.00)

I was just thinking the same thing. My elderly mom had a fit when her trash collection went up $5 a month. This may cause her to flip!

She was tempted to drop service after the last D* increase.

Sorry but Ala Carte will not lower prices ...
When you can package channels you will always get better prices.
Many channels that you like have other channels that they own that you may not care about that are required by the provider to place in order for the main channel you want to be viewed as well.
Back in the day when I had my C-Band I was allowed to order ala carte, for example ESPN was $ 12 per YEAR .... I bet it's alot more than that now. Your East coast Locals were the most expensive .... (you would get the same network programming with that cities news.)

Non the less, If they were to go Ala Carte, the individual channels would boost the price well past a package price, unless your only looking for a few channels.

Jimbo

which is what every person who posts about a la carte has said. jeez.

....AND....

Since that is exactly what is always said, its odd and down right silly people keep popping up and commenting that a la carte will be the end all saviour for prices. When it won't.

On the flip side of that argument, why should I pay a premium for HD when I don't want to subsidize or have any use for SD? :)
Because you're willing to do it? Until tomorrow, none of the existing multichannel providers offer an HD only package. DIRECTV's HD channels are eating nearly as much bandwidth as any SD package they offer.

I don't think there's really any flip side to my argument if the HD Access programming expands by six fold and the price doesn't change.

It should also be pointed out that the HD Extra package charge will click in March. Isn't that correct? Maybe the new Dish HD package may be the way for some of us to go.

It should also be pointed out that the HD Extra package charge will click in March. Isn't that correct? Maybe the new Dish HD package may be the way for some of us to go.

Well March would be 3 months so I would guess yes.

As for the Dish HD package, if you don't mind missing some of the mainstream SD channels that E* doesn't carry a HD version of or doesn't even have a HD channel available maybe, for me no.

I'm really going to be curious how E* could add all the HD channels that they're missing now that D* has, plus channels coming online in the next few months, and not raise the price.

Because you're willing to do it? Until tomorrow, none of the existing multichannel providers offer an HD only package. DIRECTV's HD channels are eating nearly as much bandwidth as any SD package they offer.

I don't think there's really any flip side to my argument if the HD Access programming expands by six fold and the price doesn't change.

The SD side is paying the Lion's share of DirecTv's revenues. The relatively small group if HD users are getting the results of the Lion's share of DirecTv's expenditures. So I think they are subsidizing us rather than the other way around.

If you look at any corporate business model, the pencil pushers factor in the effects when considering a price increase. If they are looking for a 2% increase in profit, they go 3% They know that raising the price will erode the customer base and calculate what they feel will be a loss of income with the price increase. The only time D* would react if the pencil pushers screwed up their math and caused a larger decline in business and profits. At that time D* or any corporation would fire the CEO and blame him for screwing up. They may lower their pricing to get back to being competitive and push for more sales and customers. So if we call D* and complain, then they may realize it would not be in their best interest to push out a price increase. If the few of you jump ship, they will not miss you. One case in point was the upset with the HD channels D* had set up so we could watch them for a month or two and then blocked them if you didn't pay the extra $5.00 D* is still reeling from that and extended all those who complained 3 free months. I guess if jumping ship works for you, go for it. I know I let my fat head get in the way of making rational decisions from time to time.

DNS service increase for all four nets is 33%.

More importantly, DirecTV needs to take a math class.

Individual DNS LA/NY service is going up to $2.99 (from $2.25). For all four nets the new price is $11.99, shouldn't that be $11.96 (4 x $2.99)?

The SD side is paying the Lion's share of DirecTv's revenues. The relatively small group if HD users are getting the results of the Lion's share of DirecTv's expenditures. So I think they are subsidizing us rather than the other way around.

We sure are,and do you want to know what we would have if there wasn't any HD channels?.We would have the capacity for 450 SD channels.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)