Directv Protection Plan--$5.99/Month??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I just switched from Dish to Directv a few weeks ago. Today I received a brochure from Directv that indicated that I signup up for a Directv Protection Plan. I never intentionally agreed to this. I NEVER purchase these things.

Is purchasing this plan buried in the fine print of my new install package. Or was I just not being very careful.

Thanks and aloha from the Big Island,

Dennis

I just switched from Dish to Directv a few weeks ago. Today I received a brochure from Directv that indicated that I signup up for a Directv Protection Plan. I never intentionally agreed to this. I NEVER purchase these things.

Is purchasing this plan buried in the fine print of my new install package. Or was I just not being very careful.

Thanks and aloha from the Big Island,

Dennis

Your install technician probably signed you up for it since he gets a commission on it!

Jason

It's hard to tell after the fact if it was buried and missed, or put on in error by an overzealous sales rep, tech, etc. Either way, if it's less than 30 days, you can cancel the protec plan without the $10 disconnect fee if you don't want it. You should be able to cancel over the phone without having to talk to a rep.

It's hard to tell after the fact if it was buried and missed, or put on in error by an overzealous sales rep, tech, etc. Either way, if it's less than 30 days, you can cancel the protec plan without the $10 disconnect fee if you don't want it. You should be able to cancel over the phone without having to talk to a rep.

You can also cancel it online......but I would call and actually talk to a rep to ask/assure that your not going to get hit with the $10 disconnect fee as freckldgrl mentioned.

Thanks everyone. I just called Directv and spoke with a CSR who cancelled the Protection Plan and assured me that I would not be charged anything, including the $10 cancellation fee.

Dennis

I was signed up for this too and was told I could cancel before 30 days. I tried to cancel a couple of days before the month was up and they were giving me a hard time saying I had to pay a $10 fee. Finally after the customer service person talked to a couple of people she said I would not have to pay. I tried to cancel online but it was going to charge me $10. I think this plan is included for all new customers and is free for the first 30 days.

You're correct, the first 30 days is a no claim period so there's no charge. That also means you aren't covered so there is no fee to disconnect during the first 30 days. When I auto canceled protec plan over the IVR recently it told me there would be a $10 fee also even though I knew there wouldn't be. Sounds like they don't have it set up to figure how long the service has actually been active so that's possibly the same thing with the website.

As for the agent, sounds like you got someone new. I don't know why but in my experience, protec plan seems to be a difficult issue for some new agents to grasp. Sorry you had to wait for your answer but glad it got resolved.

New agents tend ot have issues with fees, rebates, when to transfer to tech , transfering to nmts for random reasons, and dont get me start on Billing agents who send basic billing questions to ace just because they dont want to deal with a angry customer.... All things I see new agents

sorry, but i think you'll regret cancelling. it only takes one unexpected service call to pay for a year of protection plan fees. or paying shipping and handling fees if one of your units goes bad and they have to send u another.

obviously, i have it and its worth every penny i pay for it. but its your decision.

This has been covered before but this is for the OP if he oe she does not know. You have 90 days form the install that covers everything. No need to get pp right away.

Your install technician probably signed you up for it since he gets a commission on it!

Jason

Well let's tell the whole story here. Directv and it's HSP's have decided that it is now part of the installers job to SELL Directv's protection plan. It is counted as part of the technicians grade on how many of these he/she sells. So if the tech does not sell enough of them they get a lower pay scale or lose their job.

As a tech I wanted nothing to do with selling. If I wanted to sell stuff I would have gotten a sales job. So what do techs do, they put the paper work in front of the customer and say sign here. If the customer does not take the time to read what they are about to sign, then I guess they may have just signed up for the protection plan.

Personally I did not like it, but if you explain the protection plan most customers want nothing to do with it. So you do what you have to do to keep your job. Besides who really cares about the $2.00 you got for selling it, and most customer will cancel in the first month anyway. So it did not cost them anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)