DirecTV Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
We are currently set up with the 5LNB slimline (non-SWM) and I also have the DirecTV protection plan. We've had some wicked storms this winter, and I think I've been knocked out of alignment, as there are no trees in the way, and on a sunny day I'm look at high 60's low 70's, even for TPs on 101, which I know is terrible. When we had the 18" single LNB, I'd get up on the roof and fix it myself, but I don't trust myself with the 5lnb dish.

Has anyone ever used the DirecTV protection plan? I've been signed up for it for over two years now, and never had to use it. Is there any deductible involved in creating a service call for low signal strength? I will assume that there is nothing wrong with the equipment, and that the heavy ice and strong winds have just moved it a little bit.

Thanks!!

no deductible. Call them to fix it. You pay through the nose for it.

It depends on what your definition of "pay through the nose for it" is based on your own experiences.

One year's cost of the protection plan is approximately the same cost of one service call without the plan during that year.:eureka

13.5 months actually :)

Yea just call D* and tell them you need your dish aligned.

Its just easier, I had some stuff zapped by lightning a long time ago, and the 5.99 a month is great for piece of mind.

Reading D*** faq's on the protection plan it appears to apply to the outside equipment. Don't recall the exact wording but the leased receiver would be repaired/replaced if faulty at no cost. Would one expect to pay a service call for a receiver problem?
It might be in some of the fine print but I couldn't find any specifics in the online agreements.

It depends on what your definition of "pay through the nose for it" is based on your own experiences.

One year's cost of the protection plan is approximately the same cost of one service call without the plan during that year.:eureka
signing up AFTER it breaks and then calling it in costs very little. Its a shame that D* drives customers to that point with ridiculous policies on fixing THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT. Paying them money every month to fix their equipment incase it fails so that they can provide a service you pay for is nonsense. I cant imagine anyone ever paying to fix a freaking cable box they do not own themselves. You take it back and they hand you a new one. I don't understand why anyone would ever pay for a service call for something they are renting. D* has gotten shipping fees out of me before and a fee for the AM21 I own but that's it and I only pulled the protection plan switcheroo one time. I have lost count of the number of times they have been out to fix their own bologna but Ive never paid for it.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the Protection Plan covers at least the "leased" receivers. I had one D-10 and one H20-100 (both leased) and am keeping the plan "just in case". ;)

From my experience, they won't come out unless there's a problem with dropouts, etc. A "low signal strength" is not something they care too much about.

signing up AFTER it breaks and then calling it in costs very little. Its a shame that D* drives customers to that point with ridiculous policies on fixing THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT. Paying them money every month to fix their equipment incase it fails so that they can provide a service you pay for is nonsense. I cant imagine anyone ever paying to fix a freaking cable box they do not own themselves. You take it back and they hand you a new one. I don't understand why anyone would ever pay for a service call for something they are renting. D* has gotten shipping fees out of me before and a fee for the AM21 I own but that's it and I only pulled the protection plan switcheroo one time. I have lost count of the number of times they have been out to fix their own bologna but Ive never paid for it.
well you could pay FULL price for all the eqipment if you like and then get them to fix it for free:D

From my experience, they won't come out unless there's a problem with dropouts, etc. A "low signal strength" is not something they care too much about.

Chances are pretty good that he's having some dropout if his signal is in the 60's on a sunny day. Just tell them that it keeps freezing up on you. Then they will send a guy out to realign your dish.:)

After reading my question I need to clarify....
The faq's suggests the leased receiver, if faulty is covered at no cost ... period. The protection plan is not required... and I don't have it.

The rest of the story..... a few months ago I found the HDMI output did'nt work. I'd been using the component output on the H20 since new so don't know if it ever worked.
Called customer service and she said they would send out a technician if wanted. I specifically asked if there was a cost involved. Answer = no. This fit my definition of no cost as listed in the faq's. The H20 was replaced with a H21 BUT next month's bill had a $50 service call listed. A followup call to billing got me 6 months of credit of the HD access charge.... which is slightly more than the service charge. So this isn't a bitch.

I could not get an answer from CS as to why there was a charge in the first place and I can't find anything in the agreements giving this detail.

Back on topic...yes, I am having frequent dropouts even on clear days...otherwise I probably wouldn't be worried about it! Rain and clouds...forget it, the signal is gone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)