DirecTV R-15 DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
billbillw said:
I think the debate is over now.

It doesn't make it look good, but I'll still take a wait and see kind of approach. If it isn't true, then the R15 is even more unimpressive. :(

~Alan

Hogarth said:
No, you can't.
These DVRs have CPUs which barely crack 200 Mhz.
Can you imagine trying to watch a DIVX video on a 200Mhz Pentium 1?
I said Theorically, didn't I? :p
I didn't say it would look good.... It would probably look like a slide show.

Hogarth said:
Guess again!
Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, I confirm that the R15 uses the STi5528 mono chip.
It provides double decoding (to be used for watching/recording in parallel or double recording).

I was looking around somemore, and found an interesting link on Conexant's web site.
http://www.conexant.com/servlets/DownloadServlet/102488A.pdf?FileId=1824 , take a look at page 3 - its an HDTV DBS recorder, WITH the ability to add MPEG4 as a co-processor - if you take a look at the specs - makes a specific mention to DirecTV stream demultiplexing (And directv security support). Also note, that this chipset can handle 5 satelite inputs, and 2 NTSC / OTA inputs.

Also, upon further investigation, if you look at the documents on the FCC's website of the R15, there is a part noted as 2 - JEI connector, ST40, and ST20 - these are the ports where a co-processor can be connected. Fron some quick research, the ST40 is capable of processing mpeg 4.

fkostyn said:
Also, upon further investigation, if you look at the documents on the FCC's website of the R15, there is a part noted as 2 - JEI connector, ST40, and ST20 - these are the ports where a co-processor can be connected. Fron some quick research, the ST40 is capable of processing mpeg 4.

From the way I read it, the ST20 and ST40 are the RISC processors that go into STi5528 system on chip. It has one or the other depending on the application. I don't think the ST40 has enough processing power for MPEG-4. Its only 200MHz and nowhere in ST's literature does it mention MPEG-4 with this chipset.

Hi, I am new to this board and found it because I am looking into switching from Dish to DirecTV. Now that DirecTV has locals in my area, I would like to get it because of the NFL Sunday Ticket. I do have the Dish DVR feature now. When I switch to DircTV, I will be getting 2 DirecTV DVR units. I found this thread about the upcoming new R15. When will it be available? I have not yet seen them on DirecTV's web-site yet. While reading some of the threads I have also noted R* and E*. May be a stupid question, but what do these stand for?

Thank You,

CEV

Not sure what R* is, but E* stands for Echostar, which is Dish Network. You may have seen D*, which stands for the other biggie, DirecTV. I have seen it posted that the R15 will be available August 1st. There also MAY be another 100$ price drop on the High Def Tivo DVR on August first, which would bring it to $599.

CEV said:
Hi, I am new to this board and found it because I am looking into switching from Dish to DirecTV. Now that DirecTV has locals in my area, I would like to get it because of the NFL Sunday Ticket. I do have the Dish DVR feature now. When I switch to DircTV, I will be getting 2 DirecTV DVR units. I found this thread about the upcoming new R15. When will it be available? I have not yet seen them on DirecTV's web-site yet. While reading some of the threads I have also noted R* and E*. May be a stupid question, but what do these stand for?

Thank You,

CEV

The R15 has been delayed until early Sept per Robert at ValueElectronics.

I'd also advise that you wait until after August 1st to sign up with DirecTv since that will be the start of their yearly "get Total Choice Premier and Sunday Ticket for a super low price" deal. Last rumor I saw it will be $69 for 4 months. So that's basically $25 or so off Premier and Sunday Ticket for free.

bonscott87 said:
The R15 has been delayed until early Sept per Robert at ValueElectronics.

I'd also advise that you wait until after August 1st to sign up with DirecTv since that will be the start of their yearly "get Total Choice Premier and Sunday Ticket for a super low price" deal. Last rumor I saw it will be $69 for 4 months. So that's basically $25 or so off Premier and Sunday Ticket for free.

Thanks for the headsup on the promos. I'll wait and see what they are for sure. That would be a good one. I will also wait for the new R15.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts