DirecTV RCA DRD435RH Dolby?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CaptMike

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I'm currently a Dish customer with a DD sat receiver. I'm thinking about changing to DirecTV (long story).

The question is this: is the RCA DRD435RH Dolby Digital capable?

RCA's website states only that this unit has a optical output and that it has digital sound but does does not mention that it is a Dolby Digital reciever as it does in its description of their other units.

So, as long as their is digital output (optical in this case) will it transmit DD to my DD audio receiver (like PPV DD movies)as my current Dish receiver does?

No the DRD435 was not Dolby Digital it offers optical stereo only. They sure sold a lot to people that thought they were getting more than was offered. A key feature of the DRD435 was "Optical Digital Output for true DIGITAL Stereo Sound." The DRD455 was the lowest model in that series with true Dolby Digital sound.

charper1 said:
optical will allow DD when avail.

After bobas' response I had to call Good Guys again and confirm. In fact that unit is NOT DD capible as boba reported.

Thanks boba. I guess I will have to pay an additional $50 ($100 total) and have to get a DVR that they have that is DD capable ( RCA DIRECTVR10).

my bad, i assumed all digital outs provided DD, i will remove my post. why in the world would any company provide an optical out without the DD processing?

Depending on how old the STB DD was still begin defined not all that long ago.

Optical was introduced to consumer electronics first in cd players which were strict 2 channel output devices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)