OTA antenna question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm getting D* installed on Tuesday (2 dish setup for locals) and I was wondering about those OTA antennas that hook onto the dish? I was at Best Buy today and they had a couple different ones that hook onto the small dish... and according to the salesperson, you don't have to run a cable from the antenna to your receiver - you just hook the antenna up to the LNB? I didn't understand how that worked though, since you have to hook a cable from the antenna to the antenna input on the receiver, right?

SO HERE'S THE QUESTIONS:
So anyway, right now I'm using an indoor amplified OTA antenna with my built-in tuner on my HDTV. When I get the HR10-250 HD DVR hooked up, I'll be hooking up the OTA antenna to the DVR so I can record shows on it. As I understand it, I have to hook up the antenna to the "antenna input" on the back of the receiver - so do I have to run a separate cable from the antenna that is attached to the dish to the receiver, or is there an easier way?

Also, I understand the HR10-250 has TWO antenna inputs, right? It that because of the obvious reason - so you can hook up two directional antennas to get all of your stations in without having to move the antennas?

Thanks for the help!

Trav said:
I'm getting D* installed on Tuesday (2 dish setup for locals) and I was wondering about those OTA antennas that hook onto the dish? I was at Best Buy today and they had a couple different ones that hook onto the small dish... and according to the salesperson, you don't have to run a cable from the antenna to your receiver - you just hook the antenna up to the LNB? I didn't understand how that worked though, since you have to hook a cable from the antenna to the antenna input on the receiver, right?

SO HERE'S THE QUESTIONS:
So anyway, right now I'm using an indoor amplified OTA antenna with my built-in tuner on my HDTV. When I get the HR10-250 HD DVR hooked up, I'll be hooking up the OTA antenna to the DVR so I can record shows on it. As I understand it, I have to hook up the antenna to the "antenna input" on the back of the receiver - so do I have to run a separate cable from the antenna that is attached to the dish to the receiver, or is there an easier way?

Also, I understand the HR10-250 has TWO antenna inputs, right? It that because of the obvious reason - so you can hook up two directional antennas to get all of your stations in without having to move the antennas?

Thanks for the help!

not sure what the install wad talking about putting the OTAcable on the dish? all you need to do is hook your indoor antanna one the back on the attanna in put. and for the other 2 inputs. those are for the sat. you need 2 so you can recorded 2 things at once. if i don't make sense some one else will help you more.

Trav said:

Thanks for the help!

Just move the antenna cable from your TV to the antenna input on the HD TiVo. Their is only one antenna in, the unit splits the signal internally for the 2 OTA tuners.

dturturro said:
Just move the antenna cable from your TV to the antenna input on the HD TiVo. Their is only one antenna in, the unit splits the signal internally for the 2 OTA tuners.

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear... right now I'm using the indoor antenna but it's not getting reception that I would like to see. So I was thinking about using one of those outdoor antennas that attach right to the dish (which is on my roof). Anyway, I was just wondering how they hook up to the receiver - the one I saw at best buy says I hook up the cable to the LNB on the dish. But then, how can the antenna be hooked up to the receiver if it doesn't have a cable that runs into the house?

Here is the antenna I was referring to. It says it works with "dual LNB" satellite systems - but I thought I was getting a triple LNB one?

I believe that the antenna you are talking about is a terk. If it is, don't waste your time with that thing. It is junk and the only way it would work for you is if the channels you are trying to get are transmitted in the same direction that your dish points.

Trav said:
Sorry, I don't think I was very clear... right now I'm using the indoor antenna but it's not getting reception that I would like to see. So I was thinking about using one of those outdoor antennas that attach right to the dish (which is on my roof). Anyway, I was just wondering how they hook up to the receiver - the one I saw at best buy says I hook up the cable to the LNB on the dish. But then, how can the antenna be hooked up to the receiver if it doesn't have a cable that runs into the house?

Here is the antenna I was referring to. It says it works with "dual LNB" satellite systems - but I thought I was getting a triple LNB one?

Those antennas that clip to the dish are worse than garbage. What type of indoor antenna are you using? If it's anything but a Zenith (or Gemini) Silver Sensor than you're wasting your time indoors. If the SS won't work for you try antennaweb.org to see how large of an antenna you need.

dturturro said:
Those antennas that clip to the dish are worse than garbage. What type of indoor antenna are you using? If it's anything but a Zenith (or Gemini) Silver Sensor than you're wasting your time indoors. If the SS won't work for you try antennaweb.org to see how large of an antenna you need.

Thanks for the warning about those antenna. I've tried both the Zenith Silver Sensor and a Jensen amplified with rabbit ears. I can't get above about 80 with either of these, and sometimes only 70-75, which causes a dropout now and then. I live about 15 miles from the towers, according to antennaweb but I think my walls and/or something else in the house is causing the signal to be lower.

What other options do I have? I don't know anything about outdoor antennas at all - how to install them or which ones are best, whether I need an amp, etc...

Trav said:
Thanks for the warning about those antenna. I've tried both the Zenith Silver Sensor and a Jensen amplified with rabbit ears. I can't get above about 80 with either of these, and sometimes only 70-75, which causes a dropout now and then. I live about 15 miles from the towers, according to antennaweb but I think my walls and/or something else in the house is causing the signal to be lower.

What other options do I have? I don't know anything about outdoor antennas at all - how to install them or which ones are best, whether I need an amp, etc...

You could try putting the SS in your attic. See if there's a vent facing the towers you want to pick up and aim the antenna out of it. I'm not sure if you could hook a preamp to a SS. If so, go with a Channel Master 7777.

If that doesn't work the other option would be an outdoor antenna installed in the attic with the CM7777. Your best bet would be a CM4228.

dturturro said:

I can vouch for the Zenith Silver Sensor for an indoor antenna. I've had no problems picking up the majority of digital channels in my area.

trav, first, if you are only 15 miles from the transmit towers, assuming you are not behind a mountain or in the middle of a forest, the terk antenna should work fine. They are not the best antennas, but do just fine at close range. When the BB associate said it attaches to your LNB, he was trying to tell you that there is an outdoor diplexer that will combine the satellite and antenna signals at the dish. Then you run one or two lines down the the receiver (rx), place the second provided diplexer behind the rx, and separate the signals again- sat into sat input, ant into ant input. Let me know how it turns out.

greyghost said:
trav, first, if you are only 15 miles from the transmit towers, assuming you are not behind a mountain or in the middle of a forest, the terk antenna should work fine. They are not the best antennas, but do just fine at close range. When the BB associate said it attaches to your LNB, he was trying to tell you that there is an outdoor diplexer that will combine the satellite and antenna signals at the dish. Then you run one or two lines down the the receiver (rx), place the second provided diplexer behind the rx, and separate the signals again- sat into sat input, ant into ant input. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Still a few questions though...

I'm getting D* installed tomorrow. And since the indoor antennas I have tried are not working that great (can get a couple of channels with signal strength around 80, but others drop out a lot), I'm thinking an outdoor one is going to be necessary.

That said, would you recommend going the route where I combine the signals at the dish and use a diplexer - does this degrade signal quality at all or cause any problems? How would that work if I'm using the triple LNB dish - since there are three cables running to the multi-switch, where do I put the diplexer and to which cables? Or do I have to run the cable from the antenna straight to the multi-switch? (scratching my head here)

I was looking at the Winegard SS-1000 here:

http://www.winegard.com/other/presspdf/sshooterpicsheet.pdf

Would this be a good option - I could either attach it to the dish mount or somewhere else on my roof. I assume that this would pick up my local stations significantly better than the indoor models I've tried (Zenith Silver & Jensen amplified).

Thanks!

NOt talking about your DVR but the antanna, most the behind the dish antanna has a build-in diplexer, so, the cable from LNBF going into the antanna inside the diplexer, so there is one cable going into the house, then they do supply you another diplexer, so you can split the two signal behind the receiver.
Trav said:

SO HERE'S THE QUESTIONS:

Thanks for the help!

i have used a diplexer with no problems in the past.. I have a perfectvision 5x8 multiswitch and ran the ota (Winegard Sensar) into it and diplexed it on the other end.. no problems and no signal lost versus just running the ota into the Hughes HTL-HD. I am about 25 miles from the towers in Cincinnati and the sensar works great for me - you can pick up the non amplified version for $25 on line. hope that helps and as always, your mileage may vary :) - especially with antennas.. lol

jim

Trav said:

You'd be better off holding a coathanger out the window than using a 'clip on' antenna. There are not enough four letter words to describe how usless those things are. Put a "normal" antenna on your roof! :)

trav, Since you already bought the terk, try it first. If it works, it is a much better option aesthetically. If it does not work, the Square Shooter will. However, do NOT mount it to the dish mast. I know, the picture shows this option, but the dish mast is not rated for this kind of wind resistance. Also, follow the instructions carefully. The Square Shooter needs to be angled vertically in relation to the transmission point. Again, the pictures show it vertically plumb. Go figure. On to diplexing. You won't have a multiswitch (ms), unless you have more than 4 satellite lines running. I will assume you do not. The ms is built in to the triLNB. All lines coming out have all 3 sats. Diplex as explained previously. Concerning signal degradation, each additional connection point degrades the signal to some degree, but diplexers generally cause very little compared to splitters, for instance. It should not be any problem at all. One last note- weatherproof all outdoor connections.

greyghost said:
trav, Since you already bought the terk, try it first. If it works, it is a much better option aesthetically. If it does not work, the Square Shooter will. However, do NOT mount it to the dish mast. I know, the picture shows this option, but the dish mast is not rated for this kind of wind resistance. Also, follow the instructions carefully. The Square Shooter needs to be angled vertically in relation to the transmission point. Again, the pictures show it vertically plumb. Go figure. On to diplexing. You won't have a multiswitch (ms), unless you have more than 4 satellite lines running. I will assume you do not. The ms is built in to the triLNB. All lines coming out have all 3 sats. Diplex as explained previously. Concerning signal degradation, each additional connection point degrades the signal to some degree, but diplexers generally cause very little compared to splitters, for instance. It should not be any problem at all. One last note- weatherproof all outdoor connections.

Wow, you guys are great - I'm learning a lot. I haven't bought the Terk yet, right now I'm just using an indoor model. With regards to the Square Shooter, you noted that it needs to be angled to the transmission point. I'm concerned because 4 of my local stations are at the 150 degree orientation while 2 others are at 14 degrees - will the SS be able to pick them all up or is it more directional? If the SS isn't a good choice, what might be a better outdoor antenna for picking up these stations from 2 different directions?

Trav said:
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Still a few questions though...

I'm getting D* installed tomorrow. And since the indoor antennas I have tried are not working that great (can get a couple of channels with signal strength around 80, but others drop out a lot), I'm thinking an outdoor one is going to be necessary.

That said, would you recommend going the route where I combine the signals at the dish and use a diplexer - does this degrade signal quality at all or cause any problems? How would that work if I'm using the triple LNB dish - since there are three cables running to the multi-switch, where do I put the diplexer and to which cables? Or do I have to run the cable from the antenna straight to the multi-switch? (scratching my head here)

I was looking at the Winegard SS-1000 here:

http://www.winegard.com/other/presspdf/sshooterpicsheet.pdf

Would this be a good option - I could either attach it to the dish mount or somewhere else on my roof. I assume that this would pick up my local stations significantly better than the indoor models I've tried (Zenith Silver & Jensen amplified).

Thanks!

If you're gonna spring for an outdoor antenna go the whole nine yards and get a yagi roof antenna. 15 miles out , you may not even need a preamp. I'd suggest looking in the yellow pages and have a pro come out and give you some options.

Yagis are directional antennas. For your stations it would need to be repointed from 150 to 14 (rotor). The Winegard Sensar is a very good short-range bi-directional antenna. If you have a professional out to do the install (always recommended), they should be able to give you some good options for antennas in your area.

greyghost said:
The Square Shooter needs to be angled vertically in relation to the transmission point. Again, the pictures show it vertically plumb. Go figure.

grayghost,

Can you help me on understanding vertically in relation to the transmission point. I own a square shooter and I aimed it at the stations which are about 30 miles away. So the azimuth is set and plumbed it vertical. How do I determine the elevation?

I don't know that there is any way to pre-determine the elevation and skew. However, the antenna is made to allow change of both (elevation meaning a front-to-back angling, skew meaning the ability to spin the antenna in a clockwise/counterclockwise fashion). Without a meter you will simply have to experiment with repositioning the antenna on all its axes until you have the stations you are looking for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)