DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's not the satellite that has the licenses for a particular orbital postion its the company, as in D* or E*, if they decided to use 1 or more satellites to provide all their licensed coverage that's up to them. In the case of 99 and 103 Ka licenses if you read the link I gave you earlier in this post: DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DIRECTV and Ka (with satellite configs) Tom says:

"Typical Ka dbs licenses allow two 500 mhz ranges of downlinking: 19.7-20.2 GHz (A-band) and 18.3-18.8GHz (B-band) as well as three more of uplinking. Ku licenses allow one 500 mhz range each.

Directv standard Ku transponders, numbered 1-32, are 29mhz wide with 24mhz usable. For D10 and D11, Ka transponders are numbered 1-24, and are 40mhz wide with 36mhz usable. S1 and S2 can be operated as eight transponders 62.5mhz wide."

DirecTV has the Ka DBS liceense for both 99 and 103 which they're using for the MPEG4 HD system, they also have a Ka license at 101 which they are using for backhaul purposes.
So it depends on a lot of things, They can get more out using KA rather then KU? Just wondering ,because I didn't notice anyother satellites at 102.8 and 99.2 other then D* . I guess I'm just wondering why then they don't have more active transponders on each satellites. That would bring a lot more channels,and PQ would still be fine,as long as you guys claim they keep 4-5 per transponder.

So it depends on a lot of things, They can get more out using KA rather then KU? Just wondering ,because I didn't notice anyother satellites at 102.8 and 99.2 other then D* . I guess I'm just wondering why then they don't have more active transponders on each satellites. That would bring a lot more channels,and PQ would still be fine,as long as you guys claim they keep 4-5 per transponder.
It is not a matter of claiming, it is a matter of fact.

DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DirecTV HD - Current Listing

It is not a matter of claiming, it is a matter of fact.

DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DirecTV HD - Current Listing
I didn't mean it as they aren't only putting 4-5 per TP? Why do you have to get so defensive over this nonsence? I mean it as you guy are claimming they are using 4-5 now but only using half their TPs. SO you guys Claim thats 4-5 is what they should stick with RIGHT? So why don't they have more active transpnders ? If they are only using 4-5 per TP, what are they worried about? Its not going to effect PQ, Right? you guys said it yourself. If I had 10 TP left on a satellite just sitting there why am I not going to use 5 of them, 25 more channels. I just don't see spending Billions on a satellite to us only Half the satellite, OR 3 Transponders on the 110. I can't see how a 32 Transponder D10 can be maxed out as quick as it was? When there are all those N/A transponders on it ,and No one else using the 102.8 orbital slot but D*.

I didn't mean it as they aren't only putting 4-5 per TP? Why do you have to get so defensive over this nonsence? I mean it as you guy are claimming they are using 4-5 now but only using half their TPs. SO you guys Claim thats 4-5 is what they should stick with RIGHT? So why don't they have more active transpnders ? If they are only using 4-5 per TP, what are they worried about? Its not going to effect PQ, Right? you guys said it yourself. If I had 10 TP left on a satellite just sitting there why am I not going to use 5 of them, 25 more channels.

Hemi, where did we say that D* is using only half their LICENSED frequencies? Transponders and frequencies are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!

I'm sorry but you keep asking why doesn't D* use ALL the transponders on their satellites and we keep saying they have spare transponders in case of a failure. Where is the disconnect here in this discussion?

I'm sorry but you keep asking why doesn't D* use ALL the transponders on their satellites and we keep saying they have spare transponders in case of a failure. Where is the disconnect here in this discussion?
OK but how many do they need as spares? 18? How many TP failures have their been on the D* satellites? We know E* 129 is a POC. But I don't recall to many D* TP failures.

OK but how many do they need as spares? 18? How many TP failures have their been on the D* satellites? We know E* 129 is a POC. But I don't recall to many D* TP failures.

In post DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DIRECTV and Ka (with satellite configs) Tom shows the configs for D10/D11 and D12 (they're basically identical) so you can see how many spares D* put on them. How many failures has D* had, don't know, D* seesm to be more secretative then E* is about their failures. The thing is you want to build these things with enought redundancy in them so that you can continue to provide service in case of one or more failures since you can't send the repairman out there to fix it.

For a list of published sat failures you might want to check Sat ND | Failures.

I didn't mean it as they aren't only putting 4-5 per TP? Why do you have to get so defensive over this nonsence? I mean it as you guy are claimming they are using 4-5 now but only using half their TPs. SO you guys Claim thats 4-5 is what they should stick with RIGHT? So why don't they have more active transpnders ? If they are only using 4-5 per TP, what are they worried about? Its not going to effect PQ, Right? you guys said it yourself. If I had 10 TP left on a satellite just sitting there why am I not going to use 5 of them, 25 more channels. I just don't see spending Billions on a satellite to us only Half the satellite, OR 3 Transponders on the 110. I can't see how a 32 Transponder D10 can be maxed out as quick as it was? When there are all those N/A transponders on it ,and No one else using the 102.8 orbital slot but D*.
I wasn't being defensive, just adding clarity and providing additional information. Sorry if I came across in such a manner.

In post DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DIRECTV and Ka (with satellite configs) Tom shows the configs for D10/D11 and D12 (they're basically identical) so you can see how many spares D* put on them. How many failures has D* had, don't know, D* seesm to be more secretative then E* is about their failures. The thing is you want to build these things with enought redundancy in them so that you can continue to provide service in case of one or more failures since you can't send the repairman out there to fix it.

For a list of published sat failures you might want to check Sat ND | Failures.

Frequency licenses are paid for dearly, to leave them unused is stupid. There is no really reason to leave some of the TPs unused for backup purpose. Backups are provided by backup satellites, not by leaving a few TPs unused. When a satellite fails, often it is totally gone, requiring the backup Satelilte to kick in and replace it. I have yet read once when on satelite had some kind of failure and half of its good TPs were activated to replace the other half bad ones. And even if backup TPs are needed, most satellite actually do have spare TPs, in addition to the 32, built in as redundant TPs for backup already. Agains no need to leave any TPs unused for backup.

So Hemi's question is still valid, why leaving so many TPs unused? The only logical answer is there are no more new HDs to add, but clearly there are many more out there not yet added.

Frequency licenses are paid for dearly, to leave them unused is stupid. There is no really reason to leave some of the TPs unused for backup purpose. Backups are provided by backup satellites, not by leaving a few TPs unused. When a satellite fails, often it is totally gone, requiring the backup Satelilte to kick in and replace it. I have yet read once when on satelite had some kind of failure and half of its good TPs were activated to replace the other half bad ones. And even if backup TPs are needed, most satellite actually do have spare TPs, in addition to the 32, built in as redundant TPs for backup already. Agains no need to leave any TPs unused for backup.

So Hemi's question is still valid, why leaving so many TPs unused? The only logical answer is there are no more new HDs to add, but clearly there are many more out there not yet added.
OK, if you feel that there is no reason to have spare transponders on a satellite then not even worth having a discussion with you.

Let me address this by asking one simple question. What would happen if an entire satellite does go out?

Where would they put the stations that were carried on that bird? Hopefully they have extra transponders on another bird they can use...
There are and always have been unused spare TP's on D10, yet when there were a lot of games being shown on their sports packages they would remove programming from a PPV channel or two because of the extra bandwidth need. I think it was more logical to conclude that there was no more bandwidth as opposed to no more stations to add???

Last edited:
Let me address this by asking one simple question. What would happen if an entire satellite does go out?

Where would they put the stations that were carried on that bird? Hopefully they have extra transponders on another bird they can use...
Impossible if they don't have licences for that location right? D* would have to move another satellite into that location correct? If D10 failed they wouldn't be able to fit all that on the 110 orbital location, They would have to do what E* was forced to do when AMC 14 didn't make it to the 61.5,and when the 148 bit the dust. 7-8 channels per transponder on Spaceway 1 and D11 would be what would have to be done. D* has been lucky, E* has been force to do things not intended because of bad luck, But E* still has made good on what they have to work with.

Impossible if they don't have licences for that location right? D* would have to move another satellite into that location correct?

Correct.

If an entire satellite failed and there wasn't another satellite at the same location with transponders that were available then they would be in deep sh*t until they could move another satellite to that location to pick up the slack.

Maybe they could squeeze some channels on the remaining satellites but downrezzing and putting more channels on a transponder like E* does but they probably would have to take a bunch of channels down due to lack of bandwidth until a new satellite could be launched.

Correct.

If an entire satellite failed and there wasn't another satellite at the same location with transponders that were available then they would be in deep sh*t until they could move another satellite to that location to pick up the slack.

Maybe they could squeeze some channels on the remaining satellites but downrezzing and putting more channels on a transponder like E* does but they probably would have to take a bunch of channels down due to lack of bandwidth until a new satellite could be launched.
And the extra transponders on this moved satellite may be used to pick up this slack, correct?

Correct.

See I'm starting to understand!. But they could be forced to 7-8 channels per transponder if a failure occured on another satellite, but still would be ok ,Just be in the same boat as E*. E* should have just moved faster with their plans. But D* is making good, and I'll admit still in much better shape if a failure occured then if another happends to E*.

And the extra transponders on this moved satellite may be used to pick up this slack, correct?
That's the plan from what I've seen, but if one of the new Ka satellite bit the dust they're in deep sh*t until D12 could get launched. IIRC for the old Ku fleet they have D9S up there which they say can be used in case of a failure somewhere.

See I'm starting to understand!. But they could be forced to 7-8 channels per transponder if a failure occured on another satellite, but still would be ok ,Just be in the same boat as E*. E* should have just moved faster with their plans. But D* is making good, and I'll admit still in much better shape if a failure occured then if another happends to E*.
I too am getting a better understand...

I do have to admit that Dish has done a good job overcoming a lot of bad luck and adversity. At the same time, desperate times calls for desperate measures and they have stepped up to the plate and worked the count full when nothing but curve balls have been thrown at them.

That's the plan from what I've seen, but if one of the new Ka satellite bit the dust they're in deep sh*t until D12 could get launched. IIRC for the old Ku fleet they have D9S up there which they say can be used in case of a failure somewhere.
Which birds are Ka and which stations are primarily broadcast from them? I am assuming they are mostly locals and SD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts