DIRECTV Remote Control over the network.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CiroIp

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
NC and Italy
I'm writing a Windows Store (PC desktop, Surface, RT) application to remote control the HR series DVR over the network.
The protocol I'm using is pretty old (1.0 from 2010) but is the only version I've been able to find floatin around:
it's just pretty straight forward HTTP requests and JSON asnwers from the receivers.
Point is: I don't have access to any Genie's {HR34-HR44?} mini units {C31-C41?} and I was wondering if the control over netwrok feature is still there.
Anyone can do a quick test to confirm it? Are they recognized by DLMA servers? UPnP?

I'm writing a Windows Store (PC desktop, Surface, RT) application to remote control the HR series DVR over the network.
The protocol I'm using is pretty old (1.0 from 2010) but is the only version I've been able to find floatin around:
it's just pretty straight forward HTTP requests and JSON asnwers from the receivers.
Point is: I don't have access to any Genie's {HR34-HR44?} mini units {C31-C41?} and I was wondering if the control over netwrok feature is still there.
Anyone can do a quick test to confirm it? Are they recognized by DLMA servers? UPnP?

I can't help you with this, but I'd gladly buy something like this if ported to Windows Phone 8.

Look for the SHEF version 1.3C documentation. It gives a slight nod towards HR34 (and, indirectly, C31) support.

If you're speaking of the link you offered in post #9 of that thread, that's the one.

Here's a link that takes you directly to the post I think you intended:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303586-Questions-about-SHEF?p=3086424#post3086424

You can obtain the link by clicking on the post number (#9 on the right side of the bar that shows the time stamp of the post).

Sorry for the long delayed answer. Opera12 (I know I shouldn't use it) seem not to be too forum friendly and lost of the updates...
Yes, waltzremote seem to be exactly overlap with ... Ill study a bit of his implementation to see if I can learn something new about the protocol.
Thanks for the link.
I already published a first version of the application on the windows store (pc with Windows 8, surface, surface RT) but don't want spam the forum with the link.
I decided to charge a couple of bucks for the application mostly to get motivated to introduce new features: managing the DVR answers, favourites channels, IMDB, wikipedia wikilyrics integrations, eventually some social bs as in twitter or facebook that seem milleniums love while watching tv and and the support of genie RVU based miniunits and we are back to post #1.
Since I'm charging something for my application Ill be sure to share part of the booty with waltzremote in case I'll recover the microsoft developing fee.

I can't help you with this, but I'd gladly buy something like this if ported to Windows Phone 8.

Oh, ok. The application is already up in the windows store.
I'm keeping a blog about the progresses to test the application's pulse since the the microsoft dashboard infos are pretty limited and delayed.

Feel free to download the trial and report here: I'm a feedback's sucker.

Thanks, yes, perfect, it's an improvement over the version 1.0 from 2010 I have but still seem that, at that point in time (october 2011), DIRECTV had no clue about RVU and mini units.
Ill stumble eventually in someone that have the Genie {HR34 HR44} with a mini unit {C31 C41} and technical enough to do some testing.
Point is to check if directv removed the http service from the mini units.

I just had a HR44 and two C41 boxes installed.

The good news is that I can query the current show, change channels and power on and off the HR44, just as I could my HR23's.

However, I am having no luck with the C41's.

The first thing to know is that there is no way to edit the network settings directly on the C41's (to set a static IP). I was able to find them in my router leases table and have the router assign a specific IP based on their MAC addresses.

There is also no option in the "whole house" setup for external access (as there is on the HR44).

When I try to call a simple http command I get a Firefox can't establish connection error.

Below is a sample of my command, the results on the HR44 and error on the C41 (I tried both C41s with the same result).

So unless there is a "hidden" command to enable external access, or it is running on a different port, or ???, it does not look good.

If anyone finds a way to control it, please post back here as I am very interested.

Here are my results (NOTE: I cannot seem to post a valid URL, so I have removed the ":" from the http commands listed below):

Code:
[COLOR=#b22222]HR44[/COLOR]: http//192.168.31.167:8080/info/mode

{
  "mode": 0,
  "status": {
    "code": 200,
    "commandResult": 0,
    "msg": "OK.",
    "query": "/info/mode"
  }
}

[COLOR=#b22222]C41[/COLOR]: http//192.168.31.168:8080/info/mode

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.31.168:8080.

Reactions: CiroIp
An update...

I downloaded the 1.3C version of the SHEF command set which lists commands including "clientAddr" paramater, which work with the C41 Genie clients.

The key is that the command is issued to the main Genie box (HR44 in my case) passing a parameter to have the box pass the Genie clients info via it's MAC address.

Here is the command to get the current tuned channel on the C41:

http//192.168.31.167:8080/tv/getTuned?clientAddr=907530289895

Where the mac address of the C41 is 90:75:30:28:98:95

(NOTE: I cannot seem to post a valid URL, so I have removed the ":" from the http commands listed above.

Code:
RESULT:

{
  "callsign": "KTVN",
  "date": "20130516",
  "duration": 1860,
  "episodeTitle": "The Bon Voyage Reaction",
  "isOffAir": false,
  "isPclocked": 3,
  "isPpv": false,
  "isRecording": false,
  "isVod": false,
  "major": 2,
  "minor": 65535,
  "offset": 2669,
  "programId": "10932958",
  "rating": "TV-PG-L",
  "startTime": 1379646000,
  "stationId": 3289529,
    "query": "/tv/getTuned?clientAddr=707630289794"
  },
  "title": "The Big Bang Theory"
}

However, I am having no luck with sending the poweron and poweroff "processkey" commands.

Reactions: CiroIp
I am bumping this thread up, as it has suddenly become very relevant for me. I installed the trial of "Directv Remote" on my windows 8 home computer, and it does a masterful job of controlling my HR-44, but does not communicate with the C41 client. Is this the program that the thread starter wrote, and is there a way to get it to control the client? If not, has anyone found other solutions?

Thanks in advance!

As nobody here is speaking up, you should probably contact the people that produced the existing apps and reconnoiter where they are headed.

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. What is wrong with the remotes you have? Also, there are apps for this already. What am I missing?

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this.
You're missing having read another thread the hijacker started that spoke to trying to remotely control a GenieMini to execute real-time captures of programming while away from home.

Ok, DirecTV Remote Control developer here.
Im working on trying to support multiple receivers.
Things are a bit tricky since I didn't really find any documentations so far and and only have one receiver in the house.
If anyone have extra info please feel free to jump in.
I'll try to keep an update log of what is goin on the BLOG.
The DTVRC release 4 is avaible in the STORE.

An update...

I downloaded the 1.3C version of the SHEF command set which lists commands including "clientAddr" paramater, which work with the C41 Genie clients.

The key is that the command is issued to the main Genie box (HR44 in my case) passing a parameter to have the box pass the Genie clients info via it's MAC address.

Here is the command to get the current tuned channel on the C41:

http//192.168.31.167:8080/tv/getTuned?clientAddr=907530289895

Where the mac address of the C41 is 90:75:30:28:98:95

(NOTE: I cannot seem to post a valid URL, so I have removed the ":" from the http commands listed above.

Code:
RESULT:

{
  "callsign": "KTVN",
  "date": "20130516",
  "duration": 1860,
  "episodeTitle": "The Bon Voyage Reaction",
  "isOffAir": false,
  "isPclocked": 3,
  "isPpv": false,
  "isRecording": false,
  "isVod": false,
  "major": 2,
  "minor": 65535,
  "offset": 2669,
  "programId": "10932958",
  "rating": "TV-PG-L",
  "startTime": 1379646000,
  "stationId": 3289529,
    "query": "/tv/getTuned?clientAddr=707630289794"
  },
  "title": "The Big Bang Theory"
}

However, I am having no luck with sending the poweron and poweroff "processkey" commands.

This is actually very helpfull.
Ill investigate and report. Thanks for the hint. I'll try to keep the forum update if someone is interested.

Im working on trying to support multiple receivers.
Additional receivers is just a list longer than one of IP addresses.
Things are a bit tricky since I didn't really find any documentations so far and and only have one receiver in the house.
Did you download the SHEF 1.3C document? That's the latest publicly available documentation. For something newer (but not likely any more oriented towards hand-holding), you'll probably have to approach DIRECTV directly from your position as a software developer.

You're missing having read another thread the hijacker started that spoke to trying to remotely control a GenieMini to execute real-time captures of programming while away from home.
Additional receivers is just a list longer than one of IP addresses.Did you download the SHEF 1.3C document? That's the latest publicly available documentation. For something newer (but not likely any more oriented towards hand-holding), you'll probably have to approach DIRECTV directly from your position as a software developer.
I do have the 1.3C but before http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/members/gerlin.189421/ 's hint about the clientAddr parameter I had no clue about how the Genie/Whole home things could works. I doubt DirectTV would "officially" waste a single second about my requests. My only hope could probably be to approach some tech guy that would share something under the table.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ill see how I feel about contacting "big US corporate".
The protocol is not complicate at all but the UPnP protocol is a bit itchy and the clientAddr thing is unexplored territory for me.
Ill see if I'll be able to prepare a version that people can side load on their computers without have to install any developing tool and ask for some beta testing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)