DirecTV removes OTA scanning from Genies? WTF!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think he is thinking about the other forum. :)

Which explains why we don't ban or jump on folks who speak bad about the company here. :D

If that happened, there wouldn't be many left! ;) Just kidding of course. We love Directv here, don't we, everybody! :D

at least till fiber gets here

If you are referring to FIOS, here in CT it's only in Greenwich. It's my understanding that they aren't building out their system any more. If it was available, I'd seriously consider it.

I would consider it too.

We got UVERSE here, but it will not work for me, as I have 6 HDTV's and currently they can only support only 3 HDTV's.

Plain Old Telephone Service. (POTS)

Using just regular telephone lines to deliver the product to the home, no fiber to the home. (Note there are a few small areas where UVERSE IS delivered by Fiber to the Home, but our area is not one of them)

Mine neighborhood is even worse. I'm about 3500 ft from the VRAD, so the only way to get UVerse on my street is with bonded pairs. They tried to sell me on it but when I talked to the csrs about why I didn't want it, they said "but it's fiber!" I told them how it really is here, and they stopped calling me. :)

Plain Old Telephone Service. (POTS)

Using just regular telephone lines to deliver the product to the home, no fiber to the home. (Note there are a few small areas where UVERSE IS delivered by Fiber to the Home, but our area is not one of them)
thanks
we got that it's no good lol
maybe before i die Fiber to the Home

Why do you think I work for Directv? I'm a retired mailman!
You responded like you knew more accurate information than I did. Besides, the point is that we have been fed a load of garbage from DirecTV, they have poor customer support on this issue with inconsistent information, and they are taking away a feature many people have wanted or enjoy. Can anyone really dispute that?

I have one more for you guys... some fuel to the fire. I experimented with my HR23/shAM-21 combo last night trying to add Milwaukee channels as my secondary market in addition to the Chicago ones. You know what I found? It appears the inferior software won't add the local OTA channels from the DirecTV OTA list if it does not get an adequate RSSI. So, what this means is the software in the HR21-24 series likely has some form of scanning in it that is disabled. How else would it know the signal strength was not high enough and prevent that from being added to the OTA channels available list?

Go ahead and try it. Add some channels that might be marginal on some days. Repeat the process when you have some troposhperic ducting (i.e. atmospheric enhancement/SKIP) going on. You'll probably see what I did. The number of channels added to your list is different. Now, you could probably point a high gain antenna on a rotator in a certain direction favoring one market and not the other and accomplish the same thing.

The ramifications are that if you are between two markets and want even the gustappo approved list you won't necessarily get all the channels in their list. So, what's the point of the list? An already abridged starting point to pare down channels that you can possibly get after the OTA RSSI scan? Why not just nix the idiotic censored list and do pure scan? Pure scan with acquiring program information from the provider from the OTA stream?

I always thought you get all of the channels in the DirecTV gustappo approved list for OTA and signal strength made no difference. Not so. (Keep in mind I am talking about which one show up in the available channels list in the Antenna setup menu.)

Last edited:
You responded like you knew more accurate information than I did. Besides, the point is that we have been fed a load of garbage from DirecTV, they have poor customer support on this issue with inconsistent information, and they are taking away a feature many people have wanted or enjoy. Can anyone really dispute that?

I have one more for you guys... some fuel to the fire. I experimented with my HR23/shAM-21 combo last night trying to add Milwaukee channels as my secondary market in addition to the Chicago ones. You know what I found? It appears the inferior software won't add the local OTA channels from the DirecTV OTA list if it does not get an adequate RSSI. So, what this means is the software in the HR21-24 series likely has some form of scanning in it that is disabled. How else would it know the signal strength was not high enough and prevent that from being added to the OTA channels available list?

Go ahead and try it. Add some channels that might be marginal on some days. Repeat the process when you have some troposhperic ducting (i.e. atmospheric enhancement/SKIP) going on. You'll probably see what I did. The number of channels added to your list is different. Now, you could probably point a high gain antenna on a rotator in a certain direction favoring one market and not the other and accomplish the same thing.

The ramifications are that if you are between two markets and want even the gustappo approved list you won't necessarily get all the channels in their list. So, what's the point of the list? An already abridged starting point to pare down channels that you can possibly get after the OTA RSSI scan? Why not just nix the idiotic censored list and do pure scan? Pure scan with acquiring program information from the provider from the OTA stream?

I always thought you get all of the channels in the DirecTV gustappo approved list for OTA and signal strength made no difference. Not so. (Keep in mind I am talking about which one show up in the available channels list in the Antenna setup menu.)
Plain and simple. Removing the scan feature from the HR34/44 has nothing to do with what you just laid out. The AM21 will pick-up any channel in D* database for your local market (IF) the antenna you have is good enough to pick-up the signal. If you add a secondary zip it will pick-up any channel from that market, also. It will only show the channels it picks up and not all the channels listed in the database for a certain DMA. By removing the scan feature it doesn't change the way the AM21 works except for the fact that it won't pick-up channels not in D* database that are being picked up by your AM21. To pick-up local DMA channels not listed in D* database there is a possible workaround by matching either the actual channel number to a zip with the same active channel, or by matching a subchannel with the same RF to a zip. I don't know why but it does work to get channels not in D* database. It makes it alot more difficult and confusing with the scan feature removed but D* must have there reason's for doing so. In summation, you will only get the channels your antenna is receiving and that are in D* database for the zip codes you enter, and any channels you can match up a secondary zip to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts