DIRECTV Rumor Alert!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok it's time for another SatelliteGuys DIRECTV Rumor Alert... (Again this is JUST a rumor!)

While DIRECTV is not "officially" at CES this year again... I am hearing a strong rumor that DIRECTV will be announcing a new device at CES which will allow DIRECTV customers to search for shows movies and VOD content by using their voice. Yes folks I am hearing that Voice Search could soon be coming to DIRECT. I am hearing this new technology will be powered by Veveo, which is considered by many to be like Apple's Siri on Steroids.

So soon you might be sitting at your TV and yell at your receivers "Find me a John Wayne Movie" and it just might actually help you find one.

If you know any more details about this new system PLEASE post them here, or better yet email them to tips at satelliteguys dot us. It should be noted that all tips sent to us via email or PM are anonymous. We even reward members for GOOD tips! :)

I got this from Veveo regarding this rumor.

We unfortunately cannot comment on rumors or specifically speak on behalf of Directv, other than confirm that they are a long standing customer that we’re proud to be associated with.
Independently, we can certainly show you our voice technology in action, and explain our value proposition to various payTV providers in cable, satellite, IPTV etc… in advance of CES or at the show.

Why is directv hotlinking in posts now?

Once again Thanks Scott,sendori was causing words such as Directv,Netflix and Kindle to hot link in posts here.Got rid of that little pest!

Voice command would be a very nice feature hope to see it happen.

Last edited:
I got this from Veveo regarding this rumor.

We unfortunately cannot comment on rumors or specifically speak on behalf of Directv, other than confirm that they are a long standing customer that we’re proud to be associated with.
Independently, we can certainly show you our voice technology in action, and explain our value proposition to various payTV providers in cable, satellite, IPTV etc… in advance of CES or at the show.

Interesting ...

They mentioned a Long standing customer that D* is ...

I wonder what other things that company has done for D* that we may be using already ...

Thank you Scott. I used to visit here daily as a Dish sub, but found it lacking in Direct info. (I know use the other site). I have since switched from Dish..talk about inflexible in their 1 hopper rule...back in august.

Anyhow, I still respect the info on this board/forum and appreciate the fact that you try to cover both.

Respects....btw I yell at my tv anyway per Mrs, but due to content not signal. And love 5 tuners
Dan

Interesting. Could be done nearly entirely with software, the only thing needed to add to current receivers would be a microphone say in the front USB port.

I don't know that this type of thing would make the current receivers (possibly except the Genie) as they are getting pretty slow with all the things in the software on the HR2x/H2x lines.

Definitely an interesting concept.

If you've never seen it, google "siri couple fight" and watch the video.. hilarious... I can just see this happening with the TV too... "Sports" .. "NO change to drama"... "Mom, I want to watch Barney"...

More seriously, it would remove the need for back-lit remotes :) Just pick up your remote and speak in to it.. I've been waiting for GoogleTV to add this.. the voide recognition with Android 4.2 is top notch (magnitude better than before). Alas GTV seems stuck 2-3 versions back.

Personally, I don't see much need for this type of thing.

Like mentioned before, people yelling at the recvr will change the channel ...
Wont work in a busy household.

Also, what happens if you happen to have the recvr in a Entertainment center, doors, not gonna be able to comprehend the requests ...

Personally, I don't see much need for this type of thing.

Like mentioned before, people yelling at the recvr will change the channel ...
Wont work in a busy household.

Also, what happens if you happen to have the recvr in a Entertainment center, doors, not gonna be able to comprehend the requests ...

totally agree!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)