DirecTV Rumor: MPEG2 to MEPG4 HD Mirroring / NEW HD Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is also a slimline 3 dish in development for a dish that does not receive the 110/119 location. With the launch of D12 next year, a new dish may be necessary, as existing setups are not expected to be able to receive anything off D12.

Isn't the AT9, without the sidecar, the same thing as what the slimline3 will be?

I'm not trying to be a thread hijacker, but just out of curiosity, Jason, you wouldn't happen to know when (and even if) Directv plans on adding the Terre Haute, IN DMA locals would you?

You mentioned that they would have the capacity after D12 to provide EVERY DMA, so I was wondering. ...ok, hoping is more like it.

No word on what markets, but stay tuned, it won't be long and a BUNCH are coming. D12 will not go up until 2009, but a lot of markets will go on D11, which will be active very soon (end of july or august).

Isn't the AT9, without the sidecar, the same thing as what the slimline3 will be?

Essentially, yes. No sidecar and the AT9 gets just 99/101/103.

I think it will have a different LNB though, as when D12 goes up there will need to be some different setup to receive that signal, wherever they put it.

I am just guessing that somewhere around 101 would make sense, since the narrow beams from the new satellites are only seperate by 2 degrees, and it would work in combination with the existing 101 satellite (different delivery methods). Essentially, I think the slimline 3 will have 99/101/103 like today, plus a new location like 100.8 or 101.2 or something like that.

There could be a dish that also gets 110/119 still too.

This is mostly just speculation, D12 doens't launch until mid-2009, so figure late 2009 before anything is "in use". They certainely could launch a new dish before D12 is up in the sky though.

As we get closer to the launch of D11, we're hearing more and more info.

Here is the latest rumors from the past couple days:

The simulcating of MPEG2 stations to MPEG4 is going to happen, and it will also include ESPN 1/2, TNT, HD Theater, and the HD Extra packs. This is a big improvement in picture quality for the old stations. They will be mirrored until the MPEG2 swaps are done. This is still expected to happen by July 31.

On a magical date in August, a group of new national HD channels will lauch, along with the conversion of many "game-only" RSNs to 24 hour RSNs, as well as a bunch of new HD locals markets.

As for the Locals additions, the words used were "a ton of local markets". This may not include all 4 of the big 4 for some markets, due to contracts they are still working on.

So, from what I'm hearing, it will all happen on ONE DAY, and it WILL BE BIG!

Again, please consider this information as rumors until you see them on your TV, but I am comfortable with the reliability of the source of the information :)

Quick Question :
Do we expect WGN to be available in HD for all of us anytime soon ?

Just flipped over there after the Tigers game and saw the screen say WGN HD, but it's not for the general public.

Jimbo

Their lease for 72.5 is ending soon, that is a big motivator. I"m guessing that 72 location is going to dish as part of thier eastern arc plans, whoever leases that sat out is flipping.

Actually, Jason, the 72.5 slot belongs to Canada, though they were not using it when DirecTV applied to use it for fill-in locals. When the temporary lease is up, I beleive the slot (but not the satellite, which is one of DirecTV's IIRC) will revert back to Canada.

Satelliteracer has been hinting at this for a week or so at DBSTalk so it's good to see several sources on this.

As for D12, the impression from the investor calls is that it will just go at 99 or 103. Doesn't sound to me like they will fill up all the transponders/bandwidth with just D10 and D11.

Maybe we can rub the magic 8 ball a bit.. That would be way cool if it launched this week. Getr done boys... I want my espn in mpeg 4!!!!

I hope that takes care of ESPN for us. I wonder though if there isn't some other issues with ESPN 1/2 that MPEG4 won't solve. The PQ on ESPN 1/2 just pisses me off. Just makes me wonder if the conversion will be enough. I take a look at YES, MASN, etc....and that is what I am looking for from the leader in sports!

Shibby - between the spaceway sats and the D10/11 sat, I think each of those locations are full. Unless I misunderstand, they can only get 32 transponders at a location? The 103 has 16 spotbeam transponders between the Spaceway and D10, and the D10 has 16 conus. That's 32 for that location.

I don't see how anything else is going up at 99 or 103 past D11.

I hope that takes care of ESPN for us. I wonder though if there isn't some other issues with ESPN 1/2 that MPEG4 won't solve. The PQ on ESPN 1/2 just pisses me off. Just makes me wonder if the conversion will be enough. I take a look at YES, MASN, etc....and that is what I am looking for from the leader in sports!

I think most of the quality issues on ESPN are due to the compression and MPEG2.

While I haven't seen it full resolution, I doubt that is how ESPN is feeding it.

Quick Question :
Do we expect WGN to be available in HD for all of us anytime soon ?

Just flipped over there after the Tigers game and saw the screen say WGN HD, but it's not for the general public.

Jimbo

I asked specifically about WGN (for my own Cubs fasination) and he wasn't sure of it's status.

The WGN America is definately in HD, Dish Network has it now.

Actually, Jason, the 72.5 slot belongs to Canada, though they were not using it when DirecTV applied to use it for fill-in locals. When the temporary lease is up, I beleive the slot (but not the satellite, which is one of DirecTV's IIRC) will revert back to Canada.

Well, I'm not sure what will happen to the sat DirecTV is using at 72.5, but we do know they are leaving that location at the end of their lease.

Here is what I say for Dish using 72.5 (actually the filing is for 72.7):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...7-comes-into-picture-another-8-k-filiing.html

They plan to move one of their existing sats to that location for their eastern arc project.

Shibby - between the spaceway sats and the D10/11 sat, I think each of those locations are full. Unless I misunderstand, they can only get 32 transponders at a location? The 103 has 16 spotbeam transponders between the Spaceway and D10, and the D10 has 16 conus. That's 32 for that location.

I don't see how anything else is going up at 99 or 103 past D11.

99 and 103 have two separate frequency ranges. They are not allocated on an X Mhz per transponder basis like the DBS band, so there is some more flexibility here. I haven't seen anything which says exactly how Directv is splitting up the frequency bands nor an indication on how much of the bandwidth may or may not be still available. When we see some FCC filings for D12, the future may become more clear.

Thanks Bob, like I said - when it comes to D12 I'm speculating:
This is mostly just speculation, D12 doens't launch until mid-2009,

Anyway, am I misunderstanding, is there a way they can have more than 32 transponders at an oribtal location using 3 satellites?

Great news. Jason, you should make this thread a sticky.

Any idea of what national HD channels will be added in August? I remember last year that D* was testing all of their new HD channels before lighting them up in Sept. Some people with special equipment were able to see those channels and report them. Anybody have this equipment and if so, what channels are you seeing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts