DirecTV Rumor: MPEG2 to MEPG4 HD Mirroring / NEW HD Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bob, I followed that as best I could. I guess the best way to say is it could be possible to have D12 at an existing spot, we don't really know. If they can, it would be less than 100% utilized. Did I understand that right?

Either way, we'll know in 2009 :)

And actually they don't want it 100% utilized. As mentioned in a couple of their recent conference calls D12 would be used as an in orbit spare as well as some additional capacity (50 more national HD channels).

So by putting D12 at say 103 they can spread out some of the national channels between D10 and D12 so that D10 isn't completely used either, thus allowing it to run at a lower power and extend it's life a bit (as I understand it). By having unused transponder as in orbit spares that allows them the ability to recover from any transponders that blow.

I wouldn't doubt there isn't a D13 (or D14 if they skip 13) in the works to do the exact same thing at the other orbital slot. This would also give them a fall back if they have a total sat failure due to sunspots or something else.

Maybe Jason meant East Coast DNS! That is going to take a few months I would imagine before all the NY locals are MPEG-4 only for those receiving them outside the NYC DMA!

Even some of the crappy 720p FSN feeds look better than the ESPN feed. .

Just becausse some channels are 720p does NOT mean they are crappy .... that has NOTHING to do with it.

I will take a good 720P signal over a good 1080i signal, but were talking mpeg 2 and 4 not 720 p and 1080i
Once again, nothing wrong with a 720p signal if it's done right.

Jimbo

I have to agree with you Jimbo. Just becuase it is 720p does not make it a crappy channel. Also just because it is MPEG2 does not make it that way either.

I have to agree with you Jimbo. Just becuase it is 720p does not make it a crappy channel. Also just because it is MPEG2 does not make it that way either.

Correct.
Considering that the OTA that most enjoy with stunning pictures is done in MPEG2 and has no plans to change to mpeg4 will remain to be an excellent picture.

Jimbo

With the way things are going at Dish, I've just ordered a SWM-8 and plan on re-mounting my Slimline in about 10 days. Directv is just plain doing it better. The HD Only pack is a great price, and the ViP722 is awesome, but the PQ and the lack of channels like FXHD is too much.

With the way things are going at Dish, I've just ordered a SWM-8 and plan on re-mounting my Slimline in about 10 days. Directv is just plain doing it better. The HD Only pack is a great price, and the ViP722 is awesome, but the PQ and the lack of channels like FXHD is too much.

Welcome Elway!! thats why I came here, I loved my 722, but it just became too much. I do miss DIsh, but its less and less every day.

Yeah. When I moved I shutdown the service but kept the dish and hr20 in the attic just in case. The price on the HD only pack is great, but at the end of the day its just not enough for me.

the lack of channels like FXHD is too much.
I love FXHD. As mediocre as this season of Nip/Tuck was, I was very happy with the quality of the picture. I can't wait for the next seasons of "The Shield" and "Rescue Me" (9/2 for "The Shield")!

Welcome Elway!! thats why I came here, I loved my 722, but it just became too much. I do miss DIsh, but its less and less every day.

Just got D* installed Tuesday after having E* for quite some time. I also miss my 622 but I think I'll get used to the HR-21 just fine (as well as the great HD).

Just got D* installed Tuesday after having E* for quite some time. I also miss my 622 but I think I'll get used to the HR-21 just fine (as well as the great HD).

The HR20 really stunk ( I got one of the first group in fall of 06) when it arrived, but it turned into a great unit. I tried Dish out for awhile in early 07, went back to D*. When the new Mpeg4 launched last fall, D* was plain awesome. When I moved in April 08 I gave the HD only pack a try becuase it was cheap. Its a good deal, but they need to work on the PQ and offerings. Now that Im settled, I'm going back to the HD/DVR package and enjoying the channels. Just need my SWM8 to get here.

The HR20 really stunk ( I got one of the first group in fall of 06) when it arrived, but it turned into a great unit. I tried Dish out for awhile in early 07, went back to D*. When the new Mpeg4 launched last fall, D* was plain awesome. When I moved in April 08 I gave the HD only pack a try becuase it was cheap. Its a good deal, but they need to work on the PQ and offerings. Now that Im settled, I'm going back to the HD/DVR package and enjoying the channels. Just need my SWM8 to get here.

Apologies on hijacking the thread, but wanted to let you know (if you already didn't) that D* is offering the HR-21 with no upgrade fee with the Sunday Ticket offer (not a bad deal).

Welcome back Elway !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)