DirecTV Rumors

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now if this is the case how different is this new DVR vs the Tivo?

My guess is they are evaluating cheaper versions (without the monthly fees) from NDS and TiVo (and possibly from Moxi). By September, I guess they will reach a conclusion who to go with.

Hong.

Ok now lets just imagine this...

(and I have heard NOTHING about this, this is not even a rumor, it's more a pipedream) :D

Imagine this...

They replace everyones box with a DVR, but the big surprise is every box they put in is a HD DVR. This will make everyone with DirecTV HD ready, they just need a HD monitor and they are all set.

When DirecTV airs a football game in HD instead of showing in both SD and HD it will only be aired in HD, the DVRs will be able to downconvert for everyone who has a SD TV.

This would fuel ahead HDTV greatly. It would also mean new revinue for people subscribing to the HD package.

I believe that if they had enough units they could bring their costs down to a VERY reasonable level.

That would make me say WOW. :D

I would go for that!!

One thing I do miss is the Tivo that was in our living room. When we got the HD receiver the Tivo got moved into our bedroom.

As long as the functionality of the new DVR box is the same or better than the Tivo I would switch. My wife loves our Tivo box.

It has to be as good if not better than Tivo or Ruppert will have a mutiny on his hands. I am very happy with my new HD Tivo so leave well enough alone

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok now lets just imagine this...

(and I have heard NOTHING about this, this is not even a rumor, it's more a pipedream) :D

Imagine this... ...That would make me say WOW. :D
Pipedream is right! They could afford this but it will not happen in the next 10 years LOL! It never hurts to dream though. Ok Scott, you just hijacked your own thread. But boy, wouldn't it be nice!!!!

I would like to see them add StarzHD ... that is my missing link.

Scott, maybe this goes with the rumor I got about the HD tivo being sold to Old customers for half the price and paid over 3 months.

As long as they're adding Internationals, which will dull Dish's leadership in that area, and, all the HD channels, which will render Dish's "HD Leader" handle as even more BS than it already is, why don't they make Superstations available?

They already carry these channels for their respective local markets. They just need to make them available to all subs, as the law currently allows. It would cost them nothing!

If Rupert is serious about this new competetive campaign, then he should know that many people stick with Dish because of the Supers, and would switch in a NY second if DirecTV offered them.

Well, if they did replace all of the existing STBs with new DVRs, they would then also be free to move to newer Transmission technology. MPEG-4, WM9, 8PSK, etc.. They would just have to put them in the new DVRs. That would gain them more efficiencies from their satellite slots.

I would also agree that these new DVRs should be HDTV capable. At this volume, they should be able to get the chips at a discount.

GaryPen said:
No. I think they've made their decision already. Besides, they already supply other Murdoch businesses, and the NDS website already lists DirecTV as a customer ("partner").

There was a rumor on DBSTalk that DirecTV was evaluating Moxi at the moment (for what? why? I have no idea). For fun, read several more posts below that. As I said, this is just a rumor.

Hong.

All the info and pipe dreams here sound great, but has anyone heard if D* is planning on making the HD receivers any less expensive? Personally I love the thought of more HD content, but it seems like if they really want to ramp up the subscriptions they would make the equipment more affordable.

The reality is that HD still is well below 5% of DirecTV's total subscriber count.
So "if they really want to ramp up subscriptions" (and of course they do) they will add a FREE DVR to every hookup and replace current SD tuners with SD DVR units.
The HD subscribers simply shouldn't count on getting a free HD DVR...yet. There just aren't enough of us at the moment.
But that will change.
D* clearly sees its best chance right now to get subs, and lots of them, from disaffected cable customers. And to a great extent, cable has been slow to adopt DVRs.

Dont' get me wrong, fredfa, I agree that DVR service (SD or HD) is the smartest thing for D* to do... Cox cable is already testing and On Demand service much like that of Stars On Demand that D* has been promoting. DVR will bring many new subs in the SD market, but launching new HD content would go hand in hand with a new lower price on the HD recievers (DVR or not). When I mentioned "ramping up subs" in my earlier post I was referring to those of us willing to add another $10.99 to our existing subscriptions by upgrading to HD.

I don't remember the numbers, but the CEA's always publishing that millions of HD ready sets are being sold, but very few HD STB's. Maybe D* thinks they can get that market if they had a good slate of HD programming, that others don't carry, and inexpensive hardware that people would be willing to buy.

If this is true it could mean big trouble for Dish, VOOM and Cable.

"If this is true it could mean big trouble for Dish, VOOM and Cable."

Oh I think voom has its own BIG plans too. I think ANY and ALL sat tv services are going to be strong and growing. Its a hot and booming market, that no one has any real advantage, or will have. The only possible loosers are the cable companies, but then they have high speed internet service the sat companies cant come close to matching (yet).

Sat Internet will be a while to match cable internet. Limitations will always hit that.

Voom has it's own problems with it's service like it is. Once they get a stable STB, PQ improvements, and a better dish for handling rain fade that is the norm for installs, then I see them giving D* and E* a run for their money.

All I can say is thank God for competition in this sector.

Just this week I upgraded to an HD set and switched from Dish to DirecTV primarily on the strength of the DirecTV HD Tivo and on the assumption that competition would drive HD programming upward no matter which service I chose. Looks like my choice was validated.

My "ideal" satellite service would be:

Good variety of HD movie and educational channels
Good HD national sports coverage
Regional Fox sports in HD (primarily for college football)
All network channels on HD
Major news channels on HD
Children's channels in HD

With this recent announcement DirecTV is getting closer to what I really want. The next step is the regional Fox networks. The rest of it is pretty much out of their hands as it's more up to the networks themselves like ESPN to get their act together.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)