Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DBSTalk has posted a rumor that the big wow is a new interactive service.

From what I know yes the Interactive service is coming but is not the big wow we are hearing about.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
How accurate is the news that comes from the political forum known as DBSTalk? They are always reporting breaking news AFTER you do on this site Scott. DBSTalk is unreliable.

texasdiver

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 20, 2004
Scott Greczkowski said:
DBSTalk has posted a rumor that the big wow is a new interactive service.

From what I know yes the Interactive service is coming but is not the big wow we are hearing about.

I've never gotten this interactive thing. I want to WATCH my TV not interact with it. If I want to surf the net or shop I can do that much easier on my computer.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I agree with you Neutron, although they did get me this week with the NBC announcement, which surprised me as I heard about the NBC from friends at Dish and they made it sound like it was going to be a Dish exclusive. So I never asked my DirecTV contacts about it.

I have though about putting a thread of of news reports posted here to SatelliteGuys and the times they were posted here, and then post the times they were actually posted to DBSTalk (sometimes a day later!) also if you notice when they make their breaking news updates the time they use is CENTRAL time, meaning once again we beat them to the punch by an hour. :)

I do also agree with you about them being a political board, everytime I go there in the last 5 posts box the last 3 of them are always political posts.\

With that said though I must admit I do enjoy going over there to watching users fight with each other in some of the political posts, so posts actually have me laughing out loud. I also still like going there and setting the record straight when someone posts bad info and I like helping new users as well.

I think the numbers here at SatelliteGuys (Members, Users Online, posts per day and amount of breaking news reported first) says volumes about SatelliteGuys.US

I am awfully proud how far we have come in just 10 months. Thank you to everyone. :)

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
I read that NBC HD will be staying on as a perm ch after the olympics....and we all know about Fox HD being a perm ch. Could it be possible that they are the two unnamed ch's? INHD 1 and 2 would be a huge catch for DTV because there is no other sat company that has those ch's. I agree that without competition HD wouldnt be where it is today. I think that VOOM and cable adding locals in HD has alot to do with DTV's moves.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Man I must have hit a nerve with someone, look at the private message I just got...

if you've got better, verifiable information, then post it. Otherwise, shut your hole and go back to your corner.
neilster1@dbstalk.com
E*/PVR721,PVR510,DP301 x2

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
He don't get it, hes a moron.

Show me one piece of news that he has every posted or contributed to DBSTalk.

I guess some people don't like it that I speak my mind. I speak what I feel is the truth. I always have an always will. Some people may not like it, and I really don't care. :)

Now getting back to DirecTV and DBSTalk for a moment, here is something else I found funny.

The other day Chris posted this...
This is the main reason why I shouldn't really say anything more. We (myself and the staff of DBSTalk) respect the rights and business practices of DirecTV, Dish, Voom etc. We have been down this road before. Telling everything now would only cause problems in the long run. Some don't agree with our "gag" policy and that's okay. I just feel that the free flow of information between the small dish companies and DBSTalk in the long term is much more important than breaking a major news story before we have been given the green light. Hope you understand.

I wonder if DirecTV gave him the "Green Light" to post the info about "Mosaic" If not why did he violate his own "gag" policy?

Some things to make you go hmmm.... ;)

fredfa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 12, 2004
Los Angeles CA
Scott, you have no need to get in a pissing match with the DBStalk folks or anyone else.
Personal attacks, in my mind, demean the attacker more than his target.
This forum, with its many strengths speaks volumes.
You don't need to add anything and you won't convince DBStalk honks any more than D* folks can convince VOOM people.
You have, I would presume just from staying in touch with this web site, far better things to do with your time than to deal with petty sniping from others.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
You can just tell that this is the greatest forum by looking at the member numbers and posts, especially in the short ammount of time that this forum has been up. Keep up the good work Scott!! :D

I hope those rumors hold true.

crazywater

SatelliteGuys Family
May 6, 2004
dogger01 said:
I read this last week in USA Today. It talks about how the relationship DTV has with Tivo will be ending in Dec. and that the new dvr system from newscorp will be able to accept an adapter for the current Tivos to be able to get the new service.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-07-28-tivo-cov_x.htm

It does? Where? The only thing I see is this...

Their big fear will come true early next year: DirecTV plans to introduce a DVR service from another company Murdoch controls, NDS Group, an executive familiar with the company's plans says. DirecTV subscribers will be able to buy a decoder equipped with a DVR designed either for TiVo or for NDS, at least until 2007, when TiVo's arrangement with DirecTV expires.

And all that really says is that a new box will allow either TiVo or NDS software to run on it...

Hell Raiser

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 12, 2004
New HD info from the Horses Mouth!!

Sent a nasty email to DirecTV and demanded to know what new HD channels are to be added:

They sent me an email stating someone will call from the retention group:
Well they just called and stated this:
2 new channels to be added this year only. No info on what the channels will be. She also stated that they just do not have enough room for anymore then 2 more HD channels with the current SATS they have in orbit now.

She said currently there is only enough bandwidth for 2 HD Channels, and that early next year after the launch of their new SAT only then they will add more.

Well after being told back in April 2004 that I should stay with DirecTV as they will be adding 10 new channels by the end of July, I did just that.

Well they lied again and again and Voom and or Cable is looking better and better for a major switch.

So with all you inside info of 10 , 20 new HD channels sounds like BS to me.

My Pain grows with DirecTV.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
There will be more then 2 channels added (for the NFL HD alone they need more then 2 channels and they already announced those) just the CSR's have not been told anything thats going on yet.

If I were you I would hang in another month of two. :)

Hell Raiser

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 12, 2004
New HD Website

Well check out the new designed website for D concerning HD,

Sure NBC but only for the Olympics on Channel 84.

Plus if you look they say sure ABC,NBC, FOX OTA only for those HD Channels.

Still sounds like BS to me.

Not to be rude but Scott sure you can FART but do you have the SH@# to back it up?

slobizman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 4, 2004
16:09 TIVO TiVo sinks on NDS Group's deal with DirecTV (5.34 -0.31)

TiVo shares fell 5.5% after British rival NDS (NNDS) said on its earnings conference call that it would supply DirecTV, TiVo's largest reseller of the TiVo service, with a competing digital video-recording service starting in Q1 2005. TiVo still has a deal to offer its recorders to DirecTV through 2007.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
So there has been a big buzz at the other forum about the new Mosiac Interactive Service which is coming to DirecTV in October.

I am told by a few dealers that they were shown demos of Mosiac last week in special DirecTV meetings last week. From what I am told, the technology while neater then WINK was still not impressive.

If you want to see what MOSIAC will probably look like when launched take a look at these videos. (Requires Windows Media Player)

Ryder Cup Golf
US Open Tennis
Rugby
Cricket
Wimbeldon Tennis
World Cup Soccer (From DirecTV)
Formula 1 Racing
Olympics
Sports Active

I am working on getting actual screen shots of DirecTV's Mosaic Interface. if and when I get them I will post them here.

BTW I am also told that as exciting my idea was to give everyone free HD receivers its not going to happen. They did say that the new DirecTV standardized boxes would be coming out soon. I asked if the boxes would contain support for new broadcasting and compression technologies such as 8PSK, WM9 and MPEG4 and all's I got back was a "I am sorry I can't discuss that" :)

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
That F1 stuff is great. Shame we'll never get it here becaue SpeedTV has the rights to F1 in the states. hmmm.... Well let me think this through.

SpeedTV is owned by News corp.
Sky is owned by News corp.
DirectTV is owned by New corp.

Maybe we could have this. I do think that F1 dropped its digital feeds plans back in 2002 though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)