DirecTV Scam

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It may sound misleading but it is not a scam. Even though i agree with the stupid contracts. Always read before you sign do not take csr word for it. Just like cell phones you uprade your phone your contract gets renewed. It is in writing so there for it is not a scam.

Since two Supreme Court rulings in the 1990's, the credit card companies have been modifying their contracts just by sending a notice. You could either pay them off or accept the terms.

DirecTV seems to do the same thing. Offer the customer a replacement receiver in exchange for an extended one or twoi year commitment.

It's perfectly legal. The only catch is that the customer is still committed to the original contract without a receiver to get the service.

The same happens with cell phone companies. Except, you can buy a phone.

It might be better, if you can, to buy a "customer owned: receiver to fulfill the commitment, if that is an option.

Personally, I have Dish, with owned equipment. I have NO commitment.

When my current cell phone contract is up, I'm going to Net10. It's 10 cents a minute, without all of the taxes that the Federal, State and local government's tack on.

Since two Supreme Court rulings in the 1990's, the credit card companies have been modifying their contracts just by sending a notice. You could either pay them off or accept the terms.

DirecTV seems to do the same thing. Offer the customer a replacement receiver in exchange for an extended one or twoi year commitment.

It's perfectly legal. The only catch is that the customer is still committed to the original contract without a receiver to get the service.

The same happens with cell phone companies. Except, you can buy a phone.

It might be better, if you can, to buy a "customer owned: receiver to fulfill the commitment, if that is an option.

Personally, I have Dish, with owned equipment. I have NO commitment.

When my current cell phone contract is up, I'm going to Net10. It's 10 cents a minute, without all of the taxes that the Federal, State and local government's tack on.

And the same thing happens with Dish.In Dish's new commericial in the fine print on the bottom there's the word commitment,but the type is so small on my 50" screen I can barely make that word out.:rolleyes:

Sprint is notorious for doing this.

I was out of town in 03 and I couldnt get a charger for my phone so I went to a radio shack and got a new phone free on a 1 year contract. Couple months later I called to change my package, month later I bought a new phone for my wife and mergerd our accounts into one. A year after I got the free phone I went to cancell for a better deal and found out I was still under contract, any time I changed my plan it renewed my contract, they did it to me when I changed my nights and weekends to 7pm from 9pm. I spoke with several reps and retentions and I was told by retentions that I had to verbaly ok a new plan and they considered that an admission that I wanted to extend my contract.

And the same thing happens with Dish.In Dish's new commericial in the fine print on the bottom there's the word commitment,but the type is so small on my 50" screen I can barely make that word out.:rolleyes:

Yeah, you're right. That's the lease plan.

Dish has no commitment, if you own your equipment. Dish will activate any customer owned equipment, used or new with the original card or the embeded card for the newer receivers. This excludes leased receivers, which belong to Dish, and receivers with "owed balances" on them. There is no need to buy a new card.

Nobody has a commitment when you own your own equipment. The commitments are to keep people from getting subsidized equipment and then dropping the service before the company breaks even on them.

I signed up for DirecTV in Feb of 2007. At that time I got a regular receiver as well as a DVR receiver, both on lease. I was informed by the customer service rep on that phone at that time, that I was on a annual contract, which means I should have come off contract this month i.e. Feb 2008.
Also my DVR went bad 4 months later and DirecTV replaced it in June of 2007.
Now DirecTV is telling me:

1. Because I got a DVR, I am on a 2 yr and not a 1 yr contract. The cust service rep basically lied to me to get my business.
2. Because they replaced my defective leased DVR they also extended my contract by 4 months above and beyond the 2 yr contract.

In my opinion this is not only bait and switch, but illegal.
The way I look at it, DirecTV has me on a contract and anytime my DVR goes bad and they replace it, they will extend the contract. So in other words, I can never be out of a contract in theory if their defective DVRs (which they supply) keeps failing and they keep replacing it.

I want to take this matter to the right authorities - FCC, Better business bureau or whoever regulates that industry.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
This is why I URGE all customers to keep the copies of any parerwork in a safe place and DO NOT LOSE IT!!!
Hopefully you have these important documents.
If you signed nothing to the effect of a new contract, then you do not have one and what the CSR told you is immaterial.
If you have not retained your copies, well....

I personally will NEVER EVER sign a 2 year contract again. I went through 3 HR20s in 4 months. I have not requested termination of that contract because I know about how far that would get me. But in my opinion, I signed a contract in good faith. I have held up my end of it...but with the crappie service since Sept., can Directv say they have? :(
for situation such as yours, there should be Lemon Laws covering consumers. Same goes for Cell phone service.

Nobody has a commitment when you own your own equipment. The commitments are to keep people from getting subsidized equipment and then dropping the service before the company breaks even on them.
Yea ,,You think so?? ,Your commited to Programming not equipment . Anytime you activate a receive it comes with a programming commitment. You can Buy Buy Buy all you want!! The only way around this extra commitment time is Having the protection plain. Or you have to buy a Reciver Directly from D* in order to avoid this. I know of No one who has Bought a used Receiver and was able to activate it without adding time to your programming commitment,Myself included!

Yea ,,You think so?? ,Your commited to Programming not equipment . Anytime you activate a receive it comes with a programming commitment. You can Buy Buy Buy all you want!! The only way around this extra commitment time is Having the protection plain. Or you have to buy a Reciver Directly from D* in order to avoid this. I know of No one who has Bought a used Receiver and was able to activate it without adding time to your programming commitment,Myself included!

I think you are taking this out of context.
If joe smith goes on ebay and buys a receicer/dish and mount, installs it himself, activates the EQ then decides a week later he hates DTV and cancels, my question to you is , where is the committment?.
If you are implying that the purchase of the hardware is a commitment, then you are splitting hairs.
Generally when commitments are mentioned , it is in the context of signing a contract that locks the user into programming service for a certain length of time. In this case 24 months of continued service.
Now if you have pruchased hardware and activated it only to find yourself obligated to a commitment oto D*, then it is a mistake on your part.

If joe smith goes on ebay and buys a receicer/dish and mount, installs it himself, activates the EQ then decides a week later he hates DTV and cancels, my question to you is , where is the committment?.
If you are implying that the purchase of the hardware is a commitment, then you are splitting hairs.
Generally when commitments are mentioned , it is in the context of signing a contract that locks the user into programming service for a certain length of time. In this case 24 months of continued service.
Now if you have pruchased hardware and activated it only to find yourself obligated to a commitment oto D*, then it is a mistake on your part.

DIRECTV - DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum

;)

What?

You people crack me up, so are you going to quit watching TV in the next 2 years? And what are you going to point your furniture at if you do quit watching TV. You people just like to bitch about stuff I think. Next time sign up for the protection Plan.

Is it time to drop the FREE installation and FREE everything else? Charge for everything and offer discounts for selecting a long term contract. How abut it?

Joe

Is it time to drop the FREE installation and FREE everything else? Charge for everything and offer discounts for selecting a long term contract. How abut it?

Joe
It may have to come to that... Pay rates and reimbursements to retailers have been dropping for years. The costs associated with performing the job are rising. There is only so much water that can be wrung from a sponge. The cost of materials gas and repairs.
The industry cannot keep going in the surrent direction. Unless both satcos are willing to hire so many techs that they will no longer need contractors and retailers, neither Dish not Directv can sustain the status quo..

why did you post this? It specifiocally mentions leased equipment, equipment provided by Directv or purchased from an authorized retailer.
It says nothing about privately purchased hardware.

I posted this so everyone could see that the Commitment is in the Programming Package.Plus if you activate additional receivers it activates it's own separate programming commitment.:rolleyes:

I posted this so everyone could see that the Commitment is in the Programming Package.Plus if you activate additional receivers it activates it's own separate programming commitment.:rolleyes:
yes. buy you implied that those who had activated ANY DTV equipment, they'd be subject to a programming commitment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts