DIRECTV SD / HD Changes coming

The picture quality for Comcast varies by region so it's hard to compare.

Yes, if it is one that is all MPEG4 then the quality is terrible and Directv will be much better. Otherwise it will depend since as you say it varies, but Directv won't be worse.

Yes, if it is one that is all MPEG4 then the quality is terrible and Directv will be much better. Otherwise it will depend since as you say it varies, but Directv won't be worse.
My sister had Comcast for a while. I'd say it compared very favorably to Directv.

To my eyes the HD signal is the best it's ever been. Have they done something in the past few years that has caused this improvement?

No. Am I imagining things?
No. Am I imagining things?
I was just curious, as many times with a new TV things look sharper, sometimes its your vision, sometimes its the TV with a better processor than the old.
With My TV, I've had many times I look at the TV and say, what an amazing picture .... but I pay for the better performance and processors, and it shows.

The best way for you to check is to watch the same show (and episode) to see if you see a difference.
Are yout settings correct on your Directv recvr, that too will make a difference, If you had 480 check marked on the recvr and now you don't ... that may have made a difference IF you happened to try to watch a lesser grade show.

Most current TV's will upgrade the signal to HD (1080) or 4k ..... this is where your better processors come into play.

Btw, for reference, I have 720/1080 and 4k check marked on the D* recvr in the resolution settings.

I was just curious, as many times with a new TV things look sharper, sometimes its your vision, sometimes its the TV with a better processor than the old.

Or the most likely if he's not upgrading a TV that's pretty old, "I just paid a lot of money for this so I've gotta make myself believe it is better!" :cool:

Reactions: Jimbo

Top 5 HD Channels to move to KU band in September 2021:

• 202 – CNN
  • 360 – FOX News
  • 312 – Hallmark
  • 229 – HGTV
  • 356 – MSNBC

september is here and im curious if directv has put out a specific date for the switch? does a change like this cause any kind of brief signal loss on those channels?

september is here and im curious if directv has put out a specific date for the switch? does a change like this cause any kind of brief signal loss on those channels?

Directv moves channels around all the time, between transponders and between satellites. Not sure exactly how they do it, but they do it seamlessly enough that no one ever notices it happening.

Moving from Ka to Ku is no different than moving from D12 to D14, so you won't know until the guys doing the TPN mapping over at edgecutters notice it in their weekly data collection and it gets reported here and dbstalk.

They did one today and nothing to report. It could happen anytime this month, but it is quite possible they might end up delaying the transition for one reason or another. Two years ago at this time the plan was to have all MPEG2 SD channels removed by the end of 2019, after all...

Reactions: Jimbo
Don't they double up the transponders before they make a move so you don't notice.

Even if they do have a very brief period of overlap they must have a way of signaling receivers to switch to the new satellite/transponder.

Commercial receivers in headends are set on the same channel 24x7, they'd be having problems every time a channel moved otherwise.

Even if they do have a very brief period of overlap they must have a way of signaling receivers to switch to the new satellite/transponder.

Commercial receivers in headends are set on the same channel 24x7, they'd be having problems every time a channel moved otherwise.

"channel maps" and I'm sure they're updated nearly constantly in the datastream. Those of us ex 4DTV users know all about channel maps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)