DirecTV service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ken_in_D

Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have been a DirecTV customer for almost 5 years. I finally took the HD plasma plunge and called DTV to upgrade my service to HD and DVR. Their bottom line reply was $199.00 for the box plus additional fees, etc. I pointed out that new customers get all sorts of incentives, i.e. $99.00 for the box with 3 months free stuff, etc. They basically told me tough, take it or leave it! I said I would go to another provider, either Dish or Uverse and nothing helped. I'll change to Dish out of principle before I'll do this with DirecTV.
Any suggestions? I guess I need to try to get passed up the line to someone who may be able to work with me. It's hard to believe that they don't want to make any effort to keep my service.
Thanks.

Go to Uverse. AT&T is parting with DISH at the end of the year. D* CSRs are limited to what they can offer so if you think you are better than their offer you just have to move on.

Uverse has been sending stuff to me for 9 months and their offer was what pushed me to go to HD. I set up an install date and then bought a 50" plasma and a new AV receiver. At installation, the tech said the signal was too weak; 29000 microV versus 33000 needed. So, I was too far from their node. Arrggggh! I now don't have any pull with DirecTV other than Dish. Any ideas?

All you can do is get to Customer Retention (say cancel at the first prompt for what you want), be nice and say you'd like to stay with DirecTV but have a problem with the $199 HD DVR fee where Dish and cable don't have the large up front, is there anything they can do. Maybe you get lucky, maybe not.

HD is great but, it can be expensive. You said you were with them for 5 years, why not cancel and sign up as a new customer under the wifes name to get the new customer promo?

Thanks for the ideas. I may try both. I tried to sign up as a new customer with D* but I think my home phone number raised the red flag.

Use a cell phone number. We use only cell phones in our home. She has her's and I have mine.

Suggestion: Move your current service to your "winter home" then have them install new service at your "current home" under your wifes name. Then cancel the old service at your "winter home" once your new account is set up and you're happy?

I did exactly as rad said and went thru cust retention and i got the box for free but i had to reup for another 2 yrs

Thanks for the input, all. If I use a new phone number, does anyone think the install tech will have any heartburn when he sees my old dish, sat boxes, etc. with a functioning account? I'm going to try the cancel option first. I'm not after the world but it p.o.'s me that the csr's won't offer anything to stay. As Dr. Evil would say, "throw me a frickin bone here."

Most of the contractors probably won't care. They're getting paid for your new install. I'd guess a nice ham sandwich and glass of sprite will get you out of that dilemma.

That would be nice or, just disconnect the current receivers before they arrive. Say the dish was there when you moved in. If they need to upgrade it, they will. The installer will be none the wiser. But, I doubt that he will care anyways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)