DirecTV Spends On Satellites; Boeing Deal Near $1B (From THE WALL STREET JOURNAL)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
DirecTV Spends On Satellites; Boeing Deal Near $1B
8 Sep 2004 19:46 ET WSJ(9/9)

(From THE WALL STREET JOURNAL)
By Andy Pasztor
Satellite-broadcaster DirecTV Group Inc., stepping up its drive to enhance programming and outspend competitors, has committed as much as $1 billion during the next three years to buy and launch a trio of large, high-powered spacecraft to be built by Boeing Co.

The country's No. 1 direct-to-home TV provider, which is controlled by News Corp., also confirmed that it will use two previously ordered advanced satellites, already under construction by Boeing, to expand high-definition and local programming as soon as next summer.

Originally conceived as part of an ambitious project called Spaceway, those two unusually powerful, new-generation satellites were intended to set the standard for Internet-via-satellite projects. But amid doubts about Spaceway's business plan and projections of market demand, senior News Corp. executives have officially scrapped plans to use them to deliver Internet access for business and residential customers. In May, company officials denied such a step was imminent.

For Boeing's troubled satellite-making unit, the latest order provides not only a much-needed financial boost but a public vote of confidence in the company's flagship 702 satellite model. The model, which has been dogged by persistent technical problems and power malfunctions in orbit, hasn't snared a new customer in three years. Boeing said DirecTV also has an option to order a fourth 702 satellite, which borrows state-of-the-art technology Boeing is working on for military satellites.

The moves are the latest steps in DirecTV's aggressive growth strategy to earmark more than $2 billion in capital expenditures and increase subscribers through expensive new marketing and programming initiatives. The efforts are aimed at cable-television providers as well as rival EchoStar Communications Corp., the No. 2 U.S. satellite broadcaster.

Only the DirecTV service "will have the capability to bring hundreds of high-definition channels and other enhancements to consumers across the entire country," DirecTV President Chase Carey said in a statement. The additional broadcast capacity also is important to offer local television channels, interactive services and other programming enhancements to DirecTV subscribers.

While the moves are likely to win plaudits from federal regulators focused on expanding high-definition TV offerings, Spaceway's demise indicates the challenges facing satellite operators hoping to deliver Internet access across the U.S. Hughes Electronics Corp., DirecTV's predecessor, spent roughly $2 billion on the project, designed to provide high-speed and high-quality Internet connections able to compete with ground-based options from phone companies and cable providers.

I found this part especially interesting

rtt2 said:
Boeing said DirecTV also has an option to order a fourth 702 satellite, which borrows state-of-the-art technology Boeing is working on for military satellites.

That would potentially give DirecTV 11 birds in orbit

"expand high-definition and local programming as soon as next summer."

Only the DirecTV service "will have the capability to bring hundreds of high-definition channels and other enhancements to consumers across the entire country

Wow!!!! Now we all know Voom's burial date. ;)

MikeD-C05 said:
Don't count your chickens before they hatch..... :rolleyes:

This doesn't signal the death of E*, but if you're insterst in HD which service is showing the commitment to it? D* announces spending $1B to expand HD coverage while E* announces their fight against digital must carry, http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=27902 . Yes, Voomer's I know you're there but IMHO I don't think Cablevision will continue to pump $'s into the cause and there's no way they can match D*'s deep pockets.

Yeah I would say the acquisition of Voom by E* is almost immanent. That HD Tivo is looking even better now. Not to surprising of a move by D*, they are the leader for a reason. realistically they can spot beam the DTV locals with limited need to up the bandwidth to full HD (prime time).

D* ... I am still waiting for StarzHD ...........

I was being sarcastic when I said E* too....

I'm going to wait until the HD NDS DVR comes out before getting an HD DVR.

Neutron said:
I was being sarcastic when I said E* too....

I'm going to wait until the HD NDS DVR comes out before getting an HD DVR.
With this news in mind I think I will too. We know it will be dual tuner for SAT and OTA and I am sure it will be faster than TiVo which sad to say is a slow when compared to other DVR's but it does have the best functionality available today. Tomorrow is always a better day though, right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)