DIRECTV Stream while flying

tornado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Tulsa
ATTTV NOW seemed to work when flying on commercial airlines on wifi. I am now using a mobile virtual network operator, same network (AT&T), and it is DIRECTV Stream, but I cannot watch DIRECTV Stream while flying on wifi for any reason. What is wrong? I don't understand. Other things work. Streaming ATTTV Now while flying used to work on wifi. I would like to enjoy my service while flying.

I thought some airlines like jetblue had directv on the plane for free ?

When I went on a trip a few years back I remember XM and DirecTV on the plane .

CONUS travel only

United and American airlines may also have D*

I dont do the streaming stuff but could it be that it needs your location and being in an airplane it wouldn't be able to determine your location at that speed ?

I dont do the streaming stuff but could it be that it needs your location and being in an airplane it wouldn't be able to determine your location at that speed ?
Something is definitely causing DIRECTV Stream not to work on wifi while in the air. Streaming while flying worked when I was using AT&T for my mobile phone and it was ATTTV NOW. I am now using a mobile virtual network operator for my phone which saves me money. Maybe the reason DIRECTV Stream doesn't work anymore on wifi while flying is because I don't use AT&T as my cell phone provider anymore. All I want is to enjoy my streaming service at high altitude. This is very disappointing.

Something is definitely causing DIRECTV Stream not to work on wifi while in the air. Streaming while flying worked when I was using AT&T for my mobile phone and it was ATTTV NOW. I am now using a mobile virtual network operator for my phone which saves me money. Maybe the reason DIRECTV Stream doesn't work anymore on wifi while flying is because I don't use AT&T as my cell phone provider anymore. All I want is to enjoy my streaming service at high altitude. This is very disappointing.
Your lucky ...
Whenever I'm flying, I have Very Little luck doing anything with the plane WiFi.
Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow, I forget what I was trying to do when/if it does load.

Your lucky ...
Whenever I'm flying, I have Very Little luck doing anything with the plane WiFi.
Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow, I forget what I was trying to do when/if it does load.

Your right about wifi being slow on the airplane. On my recent flight I could get other services just not DIRECTV Stream. Previously the service actually worked in the air last year. I changed cell phone service and I thought that could have had something to do with it. I called technical support and was told the service should have worked and that I may have been experiencing a glitch. Technical support for DIRECTV Stream also asked if I had tried rebooting my device and I had not. Wi-fi calling also wouldn't work but that was my first time trying that. DIRECTV Stream is a nice service. DIRECTV Stream in addition to satellite has gotten sort of expensive. Just being honest.

I flew American last week and I tried the wifi, just to see if it would work, your suppose to be able to watch a selection of movies or shows ... no luck with mine at all.
However, I am able to download stuff from Netflix and watch it in the air without wifi.

I flew American last week and I tried the wifi, just to see if it would work, your suppose to be able to watch a selection of movies or shows ... no luck with mine at all.
However, I am able to download stuff from Netflix and watch it in the air without wifi.

I am beginning to see that if you want to see or hear something reliably in the air it might be best to have it downloaded.
Not to be repetitive, but last year ATTTV Now or whatever it was called then worked on wifi on Southwest.
This year DIRECTV Stream wouldn't work for any reason.
Other services did work on the plane's wifi just not DIRECTV Stream.
The in plane wifi wasn't too good.
I did not try rebooting the phone, but I thought possibly the issue could have been related to switching mobile carriers, but I don't know.
DIRECTV Stream technical support says it should have worked and that I must have been experiencing a glitch, not in a good way.
I cannot afford streaming and satellite.
I like satellite better.

I am beginning to see that if you want to see or hear something reliably in the air it might be best to have it downloaded.
Not to be repetitive, but last year ATTTV Now or whatever it was called then worked on wifi on Southwest.
I did not try rebooting the phone, but I thought possibly the issue could have been related to switching mobile carriers, but I don't know.
DIRECTV Stream technical support says it should have worked and that I must have been experiencing a glitch, not in a good way.
I like satellite better.
It seems have had very little luck using any of the plane wifis over the years ...

I have been downloading things from Netflix to watch when flying.
This last time I thought about doing the same with Amazon Prime, but was unsuccessful in finding the proper way to download (while not needing the internet to view) of AP. Therefore, I was unable to use AP.

I like satellite better.
Maybe its the individual plane

They're getting better, but generally inflight Wi-Fi doesn't support streaming or downloads. I guess you can sometimes get lucky and find yourself on a flight that doesn't have streaming blocked with very few passengers using the Wi-Fi and it'll work.

Last edited:
Reactions: comp9
especially being that flights have Viasat satellite internet and that 1/3 of the people on board probably use the internet for their little ones. I would say that most flights do have DIRECTV satellite (in SD sigh...) and some on-demand programming. I continue to ponder how so many of these airplanes will handle entertainment once DIRECTV's SD shutdown is finished. Each airplane has a separate accounts with over 200 SD receivers and they are model D12 receivers

especially being that flights have Viasat satellite internet and that 1/3 of the people on board probably use the internet for their little ones. I would say that most flights do have DIRECTV satellite (in SD sigh...) and some on-demand programming. I continue to ponder how so many of these airplanes will handle entertainment once DIRECTV's SD shutdown is finished. Each airplane has a separate accounts with over 200 SD receivers and they are model D12 receivers
Most planes have Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)