Directv sucks (problem resolved)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, I think he was talking when DBS / DSS first came out... I dont remember switches for a year or two after that. :)

I remember they were surprised that people wanted to watch satellite on more than 2 TV's.

I was lucky. The guy at Circuit City convinced me to spend the extra $100 to get a dual output LNB so that I could add a second reciever down the road.

Re: Directv sucks

Gotcha.. I got mine in 98 with 3 receivers and a multiswitch.. didn't occur to me they didn't have them earlier on.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

I think the OP definitely needs to call Direct and make them aware of his dissatisfaction.

My install last Thursday was great. All the cabling was run neatly, everything was sealed properly and the installer cleaned up all of the mess. The only issue I had was a bit of a learning curve and some hiccups with the new receivers, but now everything is running fine, and I am very happy.

Jeremy,

Your experience is most typical. Most installations go in in a timely manner with neat, craftsmanlike application of materials and superior customer service. The Directv equipment is pretty bullet proof after a proper installation.

It is the exceptions that end up on these chat rooms for disection and opra plot issues. Every tech has a first day and some installations are just more difficult. Some contractors have higher dissatisfaction rates with either the customers or techs. What is not known is an exact percentage of problems.

Joe

In my area Dish installers are real fly by night operations and I could never get anything done to satisfaction. If I had a problem, the Dish installers would show up in unmarked trucks, didn't have any ID and very few tools. When I changed to Direct the install was professionally done, the installers were in DirectTV painted trucks, gave me their names and showed ID on arrival and had all the tools and equipment they needed. It was 100% different from Dish. I have been very happy with DirectTV since I switched.

Earl

I went through the same thing with them, only it took them 4 tries to get it right, but Directv made good by me with some extra incentive. Don't give up on them they'll do good for you if you ask.

I was an early customer of Directv. In 2007 I bought a HD set. DISH had many more HD channels, (VOOM). The installer was lazy. I made him do things right. He bitched the whole time. The next day I lost the signal. When "Mike" showed up again I chased him off. They sent another guy the next day. Come to find out, "Mike" was the owner's son. He had not tightened the dish bolts.
My working friends asked me to be present when they switched to DISH. But "Mike" must have been promoted to the office. We never saw him again in our town.

Ok the kid came back and fixed the problem and it is now up and running. I feel a little bad for being so harsh. I guess I have real high expectations. The problem was the dish wasn't pointed properly. It was late and dark and the kid tried. I tipped him and all is good now. Now I just need locals in HD.

They are coming "SOON"

They are uplinked so maybe tomorrow (usually its on Wednesdays).....usually once they're uplinked they are turned on within a few weeks (key word is USUALLY);)

I was lucky. The guy at Circuit City convinced me to spend the extra $100 to get a dual output LNB so that I could add a second reciever down the road.
Mile,

Dual output = $100.00! They got you!

I did do some installations fro Circuit City through an installation company during that period. I was instructed to return a defective Phase III LNB to a nearby store for a replacement to finish an installation. None of the clerks in the AV Department knew what I was holding in my hand. They had some problems. Directv eliminated them rather than fix the problems.

joe

Uhh no? Back then that's what the price difference was between the single and dual output LNB.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Uhh no? Back then that's what the price difference was between the single and dual output LNB.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I know,
We installers were issued single LNBs for quite a while. When dual LNBs became available we were asked to note the part number & serial # on the WO. The concept was that Directv didn't want extra boxes on accounts
without their control.

I should have said..."They got everyone that way."

Later we discovered any service call that mentioned a defective receiver would be questioned but defective LNBs would be paid without question. There was even a period where we could not get LNBs of any type. Then single LNBs were discontinued and two boxes per account became more possible.

The FREE basic Directv has evolved from there.

Joe

No, I think he was talking when DBS / DSS first came out... I dont remember switches for a year or two after that. :) I remember they were surprised that people wanted to watch satellite on more than 2 TV's.

The first DirecTV multi-sat switch I saw was a 2x1 multi-switch made by Hughes when DirecTV first started using the 119 bird, I used it on a real early model Phase II dish, that was in 1998 or so. 4 years after DSS/DirecTV was initially launched.
The Hughes 2x1 switch looked exactly like the more common Dish SW21, same case and everything, just different labeling.

Uhh no? Back then that's what the price difference was between the single and dual output LNB. Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I agree,
I paid $899 in 1994 for a 18" plastic dish with dual LNB and 1st Gen RCA DSS receiver. I remember the Dual LNB's being a very big thing back then. the dual LNB was around $100 more

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)