Directv sucks (problem resolved)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
Installer didn't arrive until 8:30 PM (4-8 window) He left at 11:15 PM. Didn't have any flashlights. Had to use my daughters book clip light, my flashlight, and my headlamp. Used my ladder. Nothing is up and running. Wires all over house. Is this why I switched from Dish? Possible huge mistake. Might have to cancel this whole thing. Really lame.

Installer didn't arrive until 8:30 PM (4-8 window) He left at 11:15 PM. Didn't have any flashlights. Had to use my daughters book clip light, my flashlight, and my headlamp. Used my ladder. Nothing is up and running. Wires all over house. Is this why I switched from Dish? Possible huge mistake. Might have to cancel this whole thing. Really lame.

They do have a turn-over issue with installers. One of the reasons is thinking they can just push things and make them happen. Each installation is different and some can take much longer than others. Directv likes to pay the same for all. Add strange routing practices and the possibility you were sent a new guy and you get the feel for what may have happened in your case.

The 4 - 8 arrival PM promise is just stupid. It does mean there is a good chance the guy will end up working in the dark. Probably everyone else the guy met was satisfied. Someone with more experience would have called and suggested you reschedule. Or they would have lights etc to get it done.

Try it again when you can be there for the first install of the day. And yes, someone does have to take off work for this to happen, sometimes. Or you are back where you were with the guy working in the dark. The installation is FREE. If it will help, know that once these things are up and running most go for years....years..without service.

Joe

Directv's biggest problem right now is that they have lost control of their subcontractors. They have no idea what they are doing in the field and really don't want to know. This has a lot to do with the bean counters in charge now. Everything is about the stock price and profit. I honestly believe the Directv bean counters would hire the local high school shop class to be installers if they could get away with it. I long for the days when satellite TV was considered a hobby and not a for profit business. In my opinion when ever you mix in stock and profit a business goes down hill from there. Directv needs to bring everything in house so they know what is going on and then pay a living wage to everyone involved. Before someone throws at me: Do I want to pay more for my Directv to do that? Of course not and it wouldn't be necessary. According to Directv's last quarterly statement the CEO certainly could take a pay cut and the company certainly could survive on less profit.

Right. And installers are the first impression of the company. Instead of being impressed I'm thinking of canceling before it ever started.

5 years ago I had a similar problem with a directv install. They don't seem "professional". I didn't have this problem with dish. Dish installers seem much more professional.

it happens with any service
you will see it pop up in the directv, dish, and cable forums from time to time

5 years ago I had a similar problem with a directv install. They don't seem "professional". I didn't have this problem with dish. Dish installers seem much more professional.

If you had a bad experience with Direct and good experiences with Dish Network why are you dumping them. I would stay with the provider that I liked.

If you had a bad experience with Direct and good experiences with Dish Network why are you dumping them. I would stay with the provider that I liked.
Good question. Sometimes it's fun to try something new, especially with new customer deals. I've switched back and forth a few times and have been more impressed with Dish everytime.

I've had so many horror stories with installers. One when I tried to get DTV before and several from Time Warner Cable. TWC, at least in my area, has gotten A LOT better in the last few years. I had everything from guys that were under the house for 6+ hours (sleeping I guess?) to guys who flat out refused to go under the house at all.

I had had it with TWC in large part because of their installers and when we bought our house a couple of years ago I was planning to get DTV from the move in, but time got by and I just moved the TWC stuff. I was dreading the install but amazingly it was the best installer I have ever met to date. Perhaps it was because of all the complaints I had submitted prior or that he didn't really have to do anything other then turn on the service, but regardless it was nice to finally have an install that was quick and painless. Because of that and dreading a bad DTV installer, I kept TWC for a few more years.

However, now they're jacking me around on price hikes and threats to switch aren't working so it's time to switch. I have my fingers crossed that the DTV install Friday will go smoothly. I know these guys probably aren't suppose to use any customer help but I've told them all in the past I will help all they want. I just expect them to have a decent attitude and know what they're doing...and most importantly please do not take short cuts.

Moral of the story, they all suck. But they also all don't suck...unfortunately it just depends and you never really know until you have experience with them.

While the tech is the "face" of the company that you see, I would not say a company sucks just because of a bad experience with one installer. I am almost willing to bet that the installer installs both DISH and DIRECTV.

I am also guessing that the installer tried doing the install last night to try making you happy, he could have said sorry its going to be dark soon and I can't work in the dark I will have to come back at a different date, yet instead he tried. Its just sad he failed, but at least he tried.

Take a look at things from both sides of the coin and you might think things are not as bad.

I would give them a chance to fix things and get you up running before deciding an entire company sucks or not. :)

While the tech is the "face" of the company that you see, I would not say a company sucks just because of a bad experience with one installer. I am almost willing to bet that the installer installs both DISH and DIRECTV.

I am also guessing that the installer tried doing the install last night to try making you happy, he could have said sorry its going to be dark soon and I can't work in the dark I will have to come back at a different date, yet instead he tried. Its just sad he failed, but at least he tried.

Take a look at things from both sides of the coin and you might think things are not as bad.

I would give them a chance to fix things and get you up running before deciding an entire company sucks or not. :)
You're correct. It's a bit harsh to say they suck. Just frustration from going through this before with Directv and having good experiences with dish. I do believe they need to adjust their policy on starting installs late in the evening. Trying to make the customer happy will backfire when the job cannot be done properly.

Directv's biggest problem right now is that they have lost control of their subcontractors. They have no idea what they are doing in the field and really don't want to know. This has a lot to do with the bean counters in charge now. Everything is about the stock price and profit. I honestly believe the Directv bean counters would hire the local high school shop class to be installers if they could get away with it. I long for the days when satellite TV was considered a hobby and not a for profit business. In my opinion when ever you mix in stock and profit a business goes down hill from there. Directv needs to bring everything in house so they know what is going on and then pay a living wage to everyone involved. Before someone throws at me: Do I want to pay more for my Directv to do that? Of course not and it wouldn't be necessary. According to Directv's last quarterly statement the CEO certainly could take a pay cut and the company certainly could survive on less profit.

Macfan,
I tried to get some interest in TEACHING the skills needed for satellite, CATV, telephone and stereo installations in a high school shop class. My thought was that most kids would move on with a new skill. Some could be recruited into local installation and service work. Satellite installation work is / was good entry level activity for a kid just out of high school. The technology has moved on. WiFi & PCs (with Mac) are where the interest & money are focused now.

So satellite installers now give it a try until they run out of money. As Directv attempts to bring installations in-house they discover (again) what the true costs of an installation really are.

Joe

Hey Scott,

It could be worse than you think. Even though installers are contractors they are pressured to take crazy work loads day after day. Mandatory is word that is used often. Back charges are often deducted from pay for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes the installation company just vanishes...with all the money. It is possible to work for a week without pay after back charges and material costs. The turn over situation is such that in some areas there are no experienced techs. They get screwed and overworked until they walk. So customers get the next new guy.

Joe

I think the OP definitely needs to call Direct and make them aware of his dissatisfaction.

My install last Thursday was great. All the cabling was run neatly, everything was sealed properly and the installer cleaned up all of the mess. The only issue I had was a bit of a learning curve and some hiccups with the new receivers, but now everything is running fine, and I am very happy.

IMO you're all a bunch of cry babies! Way back in 97 when I purchased my first satellite dish and receivers (yes, you had to purchase both) I skipped the costly install and ran the wires myself. Not so lucky with the dish pointing. Called DTV, the nearest installer was 2 1/2 hours away and I had to pay for full install just to have him point the dish... which took about 10 seconds of his time. Fast forward to '06 when I moved and had to PAY for my install, had 25 ft ceilings in my kitchen and my GF was startled when the installer's drill kept breaking through the wall about 5 times. I sent him away, called DTV who sent him back during the day to repair the walls and fix the install. DTV still wanted to charge me for the install and the poor installer was working in 110* attic heat. ( I live in FL) Finally had a supervisor wave the install fee.

The 4 - 8 arrival PM promise is just stupid. It does mean there is a good chance the guy will end up working in the dark.
considering here in Minnesota the sun is down at 7:00 unless he got there at 4 he probably would be working in the dark

Macfan,
I tried to get some interest in TEACHING the skills needed for satellite, CATV, telephone and stereo installations in a high school shop class. My thought was that most kids would move on with a new skill. Some could be recruited into local installation and service work. Satellite installation work is / was good entry level activity for a kid just out of high school. The technology has moved on. WiFi & PCs (with Mac) are where the interest & money are focused now.

So satellite installers now give it a try until they run out of money. As Directv attempts to bring installations in-house they discover (again) what the true costs of an installation really are.

Joe

LOL, you are preaching to the choir. I am a retired teacher with 31 years experience. Just to add to your post, I have a friend who is the head of HR for Burger King in my county. She used to tell me back when I was teaching that if I ran across a good young person who could use a starting job to send them to her. The response I used to get from the kids was, I am not working for no chump change, what no corner office?, what no secretary?, what no car?. They all think they are going to start out as CEOs. My dad, before he passed away, was an electrician for the steel mills and auto industry in the Detroit area. He made a good living being a skilled tradesman. Today the skilled trades are looked down on but try calling a CEO the next time your toilet is clogged up. Also, just see what you are going to pay that plumber.

Last edited:
Re: Directv sucks

^^This.. I consider myself handy in a lot of areas. I went to school to be an electrician before i got into computers.. I've rewired my entire house (to code, passed inspection), and Ive done a lot of the plumbing repairs myself.. But a few months ago my main drain clogged and my 25' drill snake couldn't reach it.. so I had to call a plumber.. He was there for less than an hour and he charged me $300 (double time because it was an emergency call). But you're paying for his time, the wear on his equipment, and his having to put up with the stench coming out of your sewer pipe. I don't have the 200' power snake that probably cost him a couple grand, and he probably had to bump someone else to take care of my problem so I can't really complain about it.. You can know all about how to fix it but if you don't have the proper tools there isn't a whole lot you can do either.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

IMO you're all a bunch of cry babies! Way back in 97 when I purchased my first satellite dish and receivers (yes, you had to purchase both) I skipped the costly install and ran the wires myself. Not so lucky with the dish pointing. Called DTV, the nearest installer was 2 1/2 hours away and I had to pay for full install just to have him point the dish... which took about 10 seconds of his time.
The technology sure has changed since then. :) So easy to point a DISH to hit one satellite, but now your aiming one DISH to hit up to 5 satellites, its a lot more tricky.

Even back then there was no such thing as switches just ran a cable to the dish. Now its an entire process so that it creates an entire network in your house so one receiver can send video to other receivers in the house as well as data and other things.

Its a MUCH more complex install today.

Re: Directv sucks

Even back then there was no such thing as switches just ran a cable to the dish.

Yeah there were.. that's what you used if you wanted more than two receivers.. dual output LNB into a 2x4 multi switch.. If you needed more than four you could split each LNB feed into multiple multi switches. And back then the damn switches had relays in them and they clicked when you changed the channel! :)

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts