The following is from DirecTV CTO, Romulo Pontual

"DIRECTV has suspended the development of the HDPC-20 tuner project that
was designed to integrate DIRECTV service into Windows Media Center
after assessing the impact of missing the August 2008 release of Windows
Media Center update and considering timing of the next release."

"Both DIRECTV and Microsoft understand the desirability of offering
consumers an all encompassing DIRECTV programming solution via
Windows-based PCs. We are continuing to explore ways to integrate
DIRECTV service with Windows-based PCs in the future.

"The HDPC-20 tuner that appears on the driver list of a pre-Beta build
of Windows 7 is an artifact that was listed prior to the decision to
suspend the tuner project. As our plans progress toward a Windows Media
Center-compatible product, we will make an announcement at the
appropriate time."

Could be due to the halt to non critical capital projects. See DirecTV taking precautions, bullish on '09

"The satellite TV giant has instituted a hiring freeze and focused capital spending on critical projects amid the downturn, Jonathan Rubin, senior vp financial planning and investor relations, said here Tuesday."

I got to be honest, if you have been listening to the Podcast or even last nights "Scottie Chat" I have been talking about some big exciting news coming to SatelliteGuys from DirecTV.

DirecTV called me and offered us the first look at the HDPC-20 and said I would know more details in a week. They seemed very excited about it.

And then this news came down just a few minutes ago and it took me by surprise, and I am saddened to hear the news.

We will continue working with DirecTV on things and hope to have some more exciting news in the future. I am proud at the progress we have made with DirecTV over the past year. The folks over there are first class all the way.

BOOOOOO!!!!

On a related topic, anyone have any ideas as how to pronounce that CTO's name?

Sad news, but makes a lot of sense. It was dependent on Windows 7, or so many thought, and that is still a way off.

Add to that the economic changes, and just like other companies D* is cutting back where they can, it makes sense.

Unfortunate, but understandable.

Sad I was looking forward to this one. Not surprising however. Even if you assume they could and would add support for Windows Vista that only gives about 14 percent of desktops. Once you take the percentage of those that use Media Center and has DirecTV you’re really talking about a niche product. Plus I don’t see any reason that an HR -2X could not be re-tasked and use it’s USB port to serve the same purpose.

If you think about it all DirecTV would need to do is design (or hire someone to) a HDMI input card and then update an HR-2X to be tuned via the USB and you have everything the HDPC-20 would have delivered.

After the long delay I never thought this would be delivered. Its alright since I've moved away from my Xbox's and Media Center. With Directv2pc and MRV and I put in a switcher and moved all my units to basement (distributed to rest of house), I didnt really need this. It is a bummer though as I like choices and options.

I think the problem was going to be that the whole thing was too expensive. How many people would pay for the cost of a Media Center PC with the cost of the Directv USB as well? IT was going to be a small universe, maybe too small to justify continued development.

What I have been hearing is that the industry is going to more of a distributed model, rather than an All-in-one approach. You have a network of devices (say a dish or direct tuner, a DVD, a IP device) and then you could use any input to any tv through the network.

All in one integration is always problematic.

I think the problem was going to be that the whole thing was too expensive. How many people would pay for the cost of a Media Center PC with the cost of the Directv USB as well? IT was going to be a small universe, maybe too small to justify continued development.

What I have been hearing is that the industry is going to more of a distributed model, rather than an All-in-one approach. You have a network of devices (say a dish or direct tuner, a DVD, a IP device) and then you could use any input to any tv through the network.

All in one integration is always problematic.

Or DirecTV looked at the direction that they were taking their HD DVR's, which now do many media server functions and figured why spend the money, as you say, on a group of people that might not justify the expense.

This sucks but if they continue with MRV and get it working for the HD DVR's it will still be making great progress. These DVRs in our home become much more valuable at least to me when I can watch a show recorded in a bedroom DVR on my DVR in the living room. I can see me adding a 3rd if this happens, even if its connected to an analog TV and upgrading their Hard drives to the biggest I can find.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts