DirecTV switchs CW East feeds again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
It went from Washington, DC. CW and last week during the dispute it switched to WNUV out of Baltimore. Now today the channel looks weird with the picture tiny and surronded by a big black square. I last week was granted a waiver to get CW East as I was excited to see Ring Of Honor on WNUV. Now since they switched channels again Ring Of Honor won't air on CW East. Anyone know if its back to being the Washington, DC CW for CW East again? I think I'm going to cancel my waiver as I only wanted the waiver to see Ring Of Honor :(

Well does it say "CW DC" in the corner? I think thats what it use to say when I had that feed (I now have a local CW so it doesnt show that anymore)

I assume it went back to the DC CW

It is WDCW and it has a 50 logo superimposed over the DC CW letters. I have also noticed a small picture on some broadcasts and have even used the zoom function on the TV to bring the picture back to "normal". Not sure if the problem is with D* or with WDCW. Both WDCW and WNUV have similar schedules but at least the Baltimore station had one newscast, the FOX 45 late edition, and WDCW has no news that I've seen. It's also odd that the CW feeds are the only "national" network feeds on D* that are not offered in HD. Doubt that will change anytime soon...I'm still waiting for just one of my three local PBS stations to be offered in HD on D*.

The "small picture" you're describing is normal, if things are set to show the proper aspect ratio on your TV and Directv receiver. 99% of SD programming is broadcast for a 4:3 screen. When 16:9 programming is shown letterboxed (would have black bars on the top/bottom on a 4:3 set) on a SD channel on a 16:9 set, the normal side black bars (pillar boxes) that show on SD programming are still there. Your TV (and probably all TVs) can't tell that something is letterboxed inside the pillar boxes. I assume you have your receiver set to pillar box (As you should, other options shouldn't even be available) and that's why. See also: HLN, ESPN SD, NGW, etc. as these channels often letterbox inside a pillar box. You can press the "format" button to fill the screen with the "crop" option, keeping the proper aspect ratio. I wish there was a way to remove "stretch" and "original" from the options.

The "small picture" you're describing is normal, if things are set to show the proper aspect ratio on your TV and Directv receiver. 99% of SD programming is broadcast for a 4:3 screen. When 16:9 programming is shown letterboxed (would have black bars on the top/bottom on a 4:3 set) on a SD channel on a 16:9 set, the normal side black bars (pillar boxes) that show on SD programming are still there. Your TV (and probably all TVs) can't tell that something is letterboxed inside the pillar boxes. I assume you have your receiver set to pillar box (As you should, other options shouldn't even be available) and that's why. See also: HLN, ESPN SD, NGW, etc. as these channels often letterbox inside a pillar box. You can press the "format" button to fill the screen with the "crop" option, keeping the proper aspect ratio. I wish there was a way to remove "stretch" and "original" from the options.
No, it's not just a 4:3 ratio...some broadcasts on WDCW have recently been super small filling up just the very center of the screen. Only the zoom function will restore it back to a normal 4:3 ratio.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts