Directv T15 moving to provide KU at 100.85W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The fix for getting the classic TV sub-channels is coming in the form of the new local channel connector, at least for those who can pick them up OTA. I see your address is in Chesterfield, I'm familiar with it, I would assume you can pick up all the St. Louis TV stations from your house. Just have a wait a few months for it to be officially released, and Directv to complete the "database fix" they started a couple months ago to fill in the missing subchannels in the OTA database.
Thanks, I looked at that and I can't believe how many cords it has. I guess they won't let you hook it up to your TV's USB port for power?

Last edited:
Thanks, I looked at that and I can't believe how many cords it has. I guess they won't let you hook it up to your TV's USB port for power?
Nah ... but then niether could the AM21 use USB power either.

The power pack for the included antenna appears to be for a pre-amp or something.

So you may can get by without it then if the signals are strong enough ...

Or you can certainly get rid of it if you ditch that antenna altogether and use your own rooftop or otherwise as I going to do when I get one (or more) of these.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

You don't need to use the antenna that comes with it if you already have one, or decide to buy one that isn't powered (generally the built-in amplifier in cheap antennas only makes things worse)

I'm sure you can plug into your TV's USB port for power, the question is whether your TV can provide enough power. I don't know how much power the LCC will need, but many TVs don't output much power from their USB port since they aren't designed for charging/powering, but for data so they provide only the minimal power a USB stick etc. might require.

Directv 15 is ~ at 100.95W

It should arrive at planned 100.85W orbital location sometime tonight or tomorrow.

And, we will out what special needs it will be satisfying in the near future ,

I guess nobody is wondering about one of the Spaceway sats being scooted across the sky or what they are going to do with it?
SW1 being moved to ~140W where it will operate in its originally designed "full processor" mode to provide various telecommunications services for Alaska.

this morning's epoch ----- Directv 15 is on station at 100.85W

They expect D15 operation to begin Oct 4 followed by a subsequent move of Directv 8 away from the 100.85W location after the transfer to D15 is complete

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance in case the answer is obvious here ...

But can anyone perhaps familiar with orbital mechanics explain how T15 and T8 can both currently share the same slot at 100.85°W without colliding?

But can anyone perhaps familiar with orbital mechanics explain how T15 and T8 can both currently share the same slot at 100.85°W without colliding?

It's got to be a nominal slot with at least one being offset some hundredths from 100.85. With them both doing small figure 8's up there, someone must be watching them very closely .

Ever seen cars driving on a figure 8 race track? :)

Seriously though, I'm sure they aren't both exactly 100.85. If you do the math a thousand of a degree still spaces them roughly 1000 feet apart, and if you've got them both doing the same figure 8 dance they will maintain that spacing. They might have to manage their orbits a bit more "actively" if they are closer than the tenth of a degree they will end up at (which is roughly 19 miles)

Looks like the transfer from T8 will be complete on or about Oct 2 and then T8 will move to a backup orbit at the 101W location.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=1535799

That's not a backup orbit, it is just moving slightly. They could have had it at 100.75 instead of 100.85 all the years it has been up and it wouldn't have made any difference to anyone's reception.

I wonder what they plan on doing with T8 once they've got T16 in service? It has fuel life until 2034 so it has many years of service left, but Directv won't need it any longer - unless maybe they can use it for Mexico or Latin America?

I thought a "box" or parking spot was about 40mi across with little chance two satellites sharing the same slot would ever get very close to each other. With Mexico being serviced under the Sky brand and Sky being a first class operation, I doubt they would use an old DTV statllite to light up Mexico with its very specific contour and power needs. Never mind that roughly half of Sky Mexico's programming is uplinked from a DirecTV site in the US. Latin America cannot use the DBS frequencies on any of DirecTVs US satellites anyway.

That's not a backup orbit, it is just moving slightly. They could have had it at 100.75 instead of 100.85 all the years it has been up and it wouldn't have made any difference to anyone's reception.

I wonder what they plan on doing with T8 once they've got T16 in service? It has fuel life until 2034 so it has many years of service left, but Directv won't need it any longer - unless maybe they can use it for Mexico or Latin America?

Don't see how ...

SKY Mexico uses the standard FSS portion of the Ku band at 11.7-12.2 GHz and linear polarization.

And while DLA uses circular polarization, it also operates in the FSS Ku and now extended Ku bands of 10.95-11.2 and 11.45-12.2 GHz.

Neither service uses the 12.2-12.7 DBS band of T8.

Absolutely right. And Sky Mexico is usually on the cutting edge of technology and buys the latest stuff, not hand-me-down equipment or satellites.

Don't see how ...

SKY Mexico uses the standard FSS portion of the Ku band at 11.7-12.2 GHz and linear polarization.

And while DLA uses circular polarization, it also operates in the FSS Ku and now extended Ku bands of 10.95-11.2 and 11.45-12.2 GHz.

Neither service uses the 12.2-12.7 DBS band of T8.

I thought a "box" or parking spot was about 40mi across with little chance two satellites sharing the same slot would ever get very close to each other. With Mexico being serviced under the Sky brand and Sky being a first class operation, I doubt they would use an old DTV statllite to light up Mexico with its very specific contour and power needs. Never mind that roughly half of Sky Mexico's programming is uplinked from a DirecTV site in the US. Latin America cannot use the DBS frequencies on any of DirecTVs US satellites anyway.
Backup as in inactive spare

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Generally speaking, ATT/DTV budgets should have little consequence on a new satellite for Sky Mexico and the canceled FCC application was probably for ATT/DTV earth station access to the new 76deg slot. If ATT/DTV was negotiating for uplinking more Sky services on the 76deg slot and that fell through I would think Sky would find another solution and move on with the 76deg slot. Sky usually cuts their own deal with Intelsat for satellite services and if they were going to own the new sat at 76deg I suspect Intelsat would do station keeping for them.

Though SKY Mex. did apparently get the swing of AT&T/DIRECTV's budget ax recently with the formal cancellation of their planned sister satellite SKY Mex. 2 (or KU-76W) at 76W. ...

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/ib/forms/reports/swr031b.hts?q_set=V_SITE_ANTENNA_FREQ.file_numberC/File+Number/=/SURNDR2018041700031&prepare=&column=V_SITE_ANTENNA_FREQ.file_numberC/File+Number

Generally speaking, ATT/DTV budgets should have little consequence on a new satellite for Sky Mexico and the canceled FCC application was probably for ATT/DTV earth station access to the new 76deg slot. If ATT/DTV was negotiating for uplinking more Sky services on the 76deg slot and that fell through I would think Sky would find another solution and move on with the 76deg slot. Sky usually cuts their own deal with Intelsat for satellite services and if they were going to own the new sat at 76deg I suspect Intelsat would do station keeping for them.
Well, the letter clearly says that the satellite KU-76W (SKY Mex. 2) will not be launched and the authorization surrendered due to "changed business circumstances."

Ms. Marlene H. Dortch
Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554

Re: DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC Surrender of Space Station Authorization
Call Sign S2888, File No. SAT?MOD?20150415?00022

Dear Ms. Dortch:

DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC (“DIRECTV”) hereby notifies the Federal
Communications Commission that, due to changed business circumstances,
**DIRECTV no longer plans to launch and operate the DIRECTV KU?76W
satellite (Call Sign S2888, File No. SAT?MOD?20150415?00022).** Accordingly,
**DIRECTV hereby surrenders this space station authorization. **
Should you have any questions regarding this , please do not hesitate to
contact me.

Respectfully submitted,

/s/ Brian Regan

Brian Regan

VP?Associate General Counsel

Additional evidence of this is that SKY Mex. has also switched to producing only single slot LNBFs for 79W like the WNC "FS2-MX" and "FS4-MX." And apparently abandoned the 76/79W dual slot capable "FB6-MX."

See in the WNC document ...View attachment DBS_Catalogue.pdf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)