DirecTV Tackles Adelphia Merger

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The difference between Star Choice's NFL rate and D*s is this. Canadians just are not into the NFL as much as we are. As far as a D* CSR not being able to give you a good excuse as to the price is because it is obvious. Directv is in business to make money, just like everyone else. I am i retail and some of my customers complain about the prices. I could give the stuff away at cost, but then I'll be out of business in 6 months. My attitude is this, if you think it is to expensive, don't buy it. D* has to pay the NFL, its employees, use of satellies, and other overhead. I don't think 219 for this package is bad. I could spend that by going out on Sunday by week 5.

this is my problem with it and yes the price is bad. it's not a matter of it's more in demand here than Canada. they over bid for the package so they can say we have it. it's not a matter of cost to operate, it's the over bidding for the damn thing.

And how would you determine that DirecTV overbid the package? What if Dish Network ponied up $1 billion more for it? Could DirecTV overcome the subscriber defections?

cablewithaview said:
I feel if DirecTV is worried about access to regional sports then Comcast and Time Warner should have access to NFL Sunday Ticket to be fair.

Exactly... As they say what goes around comes around. D* be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

Greg Bimson said:
And how would you determine that DirecTV overbid the package? What if Dish Network ponied up $1 billion more for it? Could DirecTV overcome the subscriber defections?

Excellent point. Here's an example based on my experience. I chose D* in the late 90's b/c of ST. D* has long since paid for their investment with this customer based on drawing me in with ST and showing that their customer service, online convenience, etc are much better than anything I have dealt with via cable. Now I have no experience with E*, so I can't compare, but I am happy enough to not look for other alternatives. I am just one example and I am sure there are thousands like me with the same experience.

This is just my experience. Personally I think it is a good investment and I think the price is bound to go up as time goes on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.