DirecTV - Tampa "move" to Miami?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you are inside the spotbeams, sure. I assume you are wanting the locals and RSNs from that area?

If you are inside the spotbeams, sure. I assume you are wanting the locals and RSNs from that area?

I found a spot beam map that shows I am, but it was a few years old. I guess they don't change at all or often?

yes, I get all the locals to Tampa in HD via OTA and FIOS TV, and my RSNs through FIOS too. The RSNs (SUN and FSN Florida) are the same in south Florida, but they have alternative feeds on that half of the state (showing Lightning over here and Panthers over there).

Do I need to use an actual relatives address or just switch to non-paper billing and give any address in that market plus an apartment number?

I found a spot beam map that shows I am, but it was a few years old. I guess they don't change at all or often?
A five year old map may not be accurate and it certainly doesn't represent any of the HD spotbeams that have been deployed in the last three plus years.

A five year old map may not be accurate and it certainly doesn't represent any of the HD spotbeams that have been deployed in the last three plus years.

Does anybody have a current HD spotbeam map? the old map shows a pretty generous coverage area for Miami. In fact, my area is overlapped by what looks like Orlando and Jacksonville too, in addition to my own market. Does that mean I can have my pick? haha

There is no "old map" of HD spotbeams. Chances are that since you're around 250ALM away, you're going to get spotty reception at best. HD spotbeams are a fraction of the size of the Ku spotbeams and they fall off very quickly at the fringes.

Well from the E* perspective I live Jacksonville and receive Miami lil but had to use a one meter dish since I am so far away from Miami. I do not have the hd ch's but when I check the spotbeams for HD it the signal was barely lockable. Again this was for E* so i dont know how helpful it will be.

E* uses Ku band for all of their content so your experience is decidedly different than D*'s very narrow Ka band spotbeams combined with the fact that you have no options for substantially larger dishes.

There is no "old map" of HD spotbeams. Chances are that since you're around 250ALM away, you're going to get spotty reception at best. HD spotbeams are a fraction of the size of the Ku spotbeams and they fall off very quickly at the fringes.

I am mainly interested in the alternate feeds of Sun/FSN in FL. For example, I'd like to be in an area that is Panthers territory (I'm a Lightning fan and already have a set of Sun/FSN channels with FIOS). Port Charolette, 33948 is less than 90 miles away and fits the coverage map I think for the alternate RSN feeds. Secondarily, another set of networks would be nice to get another perspective and for the occasional time when a local event overrides a national broadcast network's programming.

I should be able to pick up the spotbeam of HD stuff 90 miles away, right? and even if I went with Miami, I'd still get the alternate RSNs, right? Are the RSN's spotbeemed or blacked out accordingly with one's zip code?

Another question-

Some of the smaller locals, near me, say "Receipt of local channels in these markets requires a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System."

Is the multi-Satellite System Dish the same thing as I have now that is capable of receiving HDs? It is a wider dish, unlike two dishes I had with Dish Network. Is that thing capable of receiving locals that require Mulit-Sat System or do I have the wrong Dish?

DIRECTV said:
Multi-satellite systems are tailored based on your Designated Market Area (DMA) and specific programming needs.

As for whether 90 miles away is too far, it is impossible to predict given the information that we have as we don't know where the spotbeam in question is centered.

As best I can tell (the info is not 100% accurate) the miami locals are on sat 99 transponder 15.

It includes all the major nets, plus PBS & CW.

See what kind of signal you get on 99/15 before you do anything.

As best I can tell (the info is not 100% accurate) the miami locals are on sat 99 transponder 15.

It includes all the major nets, plus PBS & CW.

See what kind of signal you get on 99/15 before you do anything.

I am getting consistent 24-26% on 99(s)/15... there is a 99(c) but it only goes up to 14 so I am assuming you mean the other one.

Is that too poor of a signal to view the HD without freezing and blocking?

Do you have any idea which sat and transponder Naples /Ft Myers, FL uses?

Thanks in advance.

If skottey's main interest is the RSN, then the question we should be answering is:
Do the feeds of Sunshine/FSFlorida that he is interested in arrive via CONUS satellite (which would be my guess) or as part of the Miami HD LiLs on their spotbeam?

If skottey can get his Tampa locals via antenna then whether Miami locals come in is immaterial (unless the Panthers have some games on local Miami TV or the coaches show).

According to gct's transponder map, found elsewhere here on a sticky, FSFLHD is on D10 located at 103W, just like all the other FSN HD channels. So assuming that it gets sent on all spotbeams (as the other RSNs do) changing your service zip code to a Panthers-enabled zip should get you out under from the blackout.

The Ft. Myers market also uses D10 @ 103, TP 15. Even in the northern suburbs of Tampa you should be able to pull in the Ft. Myers spot beam. Looks like 33948 might be a good "move" for you. Not that I'm advocating such behavior.

According to gct's transponder map, found elsewhere here on a sticky, FSFLHD is on D10 located at 103W, just like all the other FSN HD channels. So assuming that it gets sent on all spotbeams (as the other RSNs do) changing your service zip code to a Panthers-enabled zip should get you out under from the blackout.

The Ft. Myers market also uses D10 @ 103, TP 15. Even in the northern suburbs of Tampa you should be able to pull in the Ft. Myers spot beam. Looks like 33948 might be a good "move" for you. Not that I'm advocating such behavior.

Sounds wonderful. Thanks!!!

Move complete.... one box is getting the new channels, the other is not. Can I remotely reset the box or do I need to call in and have them send a signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)