DirecTV TiVo DVR on sale at Best Buy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AC Lown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I have a couple of questions about the Best Buy circular for this week. They have listed a DTV Tivo for $50, but it says "For new subscribers only". I already have one tivo, and I love it. I want to get antoher for my second television, but I don't understand this new subscribers thing. Also, is this good price because the units are old and they want to get rid of them?

There's a $50 rebate for new customers who signup for D* and purchase a tivo. Existing customers pay $99.

Search the forum and find the phone # for the retention department at D*. You can probably get a tivo delivered and installed for less than the $99.

It's best to get the new R10. The R10 has folders and a 80 gb hard drive. Also the R10 is completely re-designed and operates faster the previous DIRECTV DVR's.

DIRECTV will give new subscribers who sign a 1 yr. programming commitment to TOTAL CHOICE or higher.

-Robert

robert,do you know if the the new r-10 hd dvr will offer resolution format changes via remote control?im led to believe that the the original hr-10 does not offer this feature.thats the main reason.for me not to purchase one.also the caller id feature is important to me.

robert,ignore my first reply.i was confused ,thinking that the new r-10 was a hd dvr unit.sorry for my stupidity.

The R10 is a good machine... I did a review on it over at TivoCommunity

As you pointed out... nope no HD... And no Caller-ID either... There are no DirecTivos that can do caller-id out of the box.

Circuit City here is the only store to have it out on display but they don't have it hooked up.

I was hoping to play around in the menus and see what all is changed and how much faster it is than what we have now.

ebonovic said:
The R10 is a good machine... I did a review on it over at TivoCommunity As you pointed out... nope no HD... And no Caller-ID either... There are no DirecTivos that can do caller-id out of the box.
Another thing I yet to find in a DirecTV DVR that has and can use a RF remote. One of my Hughes DTR has that and I love it specially when I feed another remote TV from the same DTR and can control it from the other room.

ebonovic said:
The R10 is a good machine... I did a review on it over at TivoCommunity

As you pointed out... nope no HD... And no Caller-ID either... There are no DirecTivos that can do caller-id out of the box.

Hiya ebonovic! :wave Seen your stuff at tivocommunity - welcome over to these here parts!

Okay. I decided to purchase a DirecTV R10 at CC this past weekend based on how many people just loved it in this forum. I activated it with no problems and then proceeded to explore this thing (first time DVR/Tivo user). Background: I come from using Hughes DTVs for all my receivers up to now. The R10 software version was 6.1-01-2-521. The R10 case seemed not to be of high quality that should be expected from a company such as DirecTV. It made me think of a hobbyist case that I used to build some homebrew projects in. The front of the case, with the lighting just right, you could see either screws or rivets under the front layer. Is there just a metallic sticker on the front face? It also took me a while trying to figure out how to open the door up to insert the access card. Finally found that it was a pull down door that was kinda of flimsy. A nicer "push open" door would be better here.

First operational thoughts:

I noticed that the APG was very slow being put up on the screen. Like building blocks being put together. Approximately 2 seconds before everything was displayed. I read that a lot of DVR users complained how slow their units where and how the R10 and V6.1 software made it so quick. Is this what you mean as quick? Again I am comparing it to just a DTV receiver that I have where it's APG just appears and pages or scroll with no effort. This is one area that I think is really bad with the R10. I also miss the colorized APG to served as a quick visual key of what the programing is ie., movies, news, sports, etc. The guide could also be displayed a little larger as well.

I noticed also that the recording resolution can not be changed. I would think with a DVR that you could change this (low, medium, high). I thought all DVRs had this. I could be mistaken from what I had read. Or, maybe I yet to find it in the menus.

Other features that I miss:
  • No Favorite menu set for quick 'go to' channels.
  • No preview window while in the APG.
  • No caller ID option.
  • No Global banner type (permanent) as default, say using banner type-2, and pressing 'Info" would display the full banner (banner-3 they call it on the R10). The R10 just uses the last type that was used.
  • The option of recording the RF-feed input or OTA input using limited schedule of time/date or "right now" basis just like a VCR would. There would be times that this would be handy (for me at least).

Can someone that has the Hughes SD-DVR80 or any other DVR tell me if any of above features are included in the Hughes? Or are all DVRs with Tivo have the same software with no DTV vendor features added to the software?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)