DirecTV TiVO HD 2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nothing new there unfortunately.

It appears that the new unit will be built on the HR2X hardware platform but will have software which will offer some Tivo like features.

I wish it was an entirely new box, the HR series needs to be retired, its painfully slow and underpowered. I was hoping this receiver would be a next generation unit with more horsepower under the hood. :(

It appears that the new unit will be built on the HR2X hardware platform but will have software which will offer some Tivo like features.

I wish it was an entirely new box, the HR series needs to be retired, its painfully slow and underpowered. I was hoping this receiver would be a next generation unit with more horsepower under the hood. :(
+1!!!

It sounds like a couple of you have already decided the new DVR is junk 6 months before it's even released.
I think they are just disappointed that it is not new hardware, just software. Most were hoping for an actual new box. Not something that may or may not be an upgrade at all.

I will give them this. if they can do the software overhaul CORRECTLY it should be fine.

take example, a dell gx280 pc, with Vista 64 it is painfull to use. I put Windows 7 64 on it and it is just as zippy as with xp on it dare I say better than XP.

But if it is a true software only upgrade. we should not have to buy a new box to get it.

I'd say new software would be better for all current HR2x owners no?
Depends, what will we really gain though besides maybe a different interface. Most think that the currect hardware is underpowered for the software that we have now, so one would think groundbreaking features that we do not have would not be expected.

I'd say new software would be better for all current HR2x owners no?
well yes you might be right but my lack of confidence comes from the amount of time D has taken to try to resolve this issue. even though its better,it's not the way it should be.so when i read that the hardware will be the same i get disappointed and rightfully so :). its time to move on to a new design. a significant improvement much like dish does every so often

I was hoping for a new machine from the ground up as well. If they want to do everything they talk about all the time and have room for the future then it needs more power.

just curious who did the coding for the hr2x series? that answer may explain why its sluggish. or how well did Comcast roll out of its hardware running TiVo go?

example I just picked up a SA/Cisco 8300hd dvr which has a crappy Atari 2600 menu. but cablevision has added a semi slick shell to search and got to say its nice and snappy. so good software goes a long way

not saying it will turn out good for the HR2x/TiVo box but ill wait and see before bashing it.

I have older machines that run slackware linux that run circles of ones that run Fedora and Suse and Mandriva, all linux slackware is just better as it compiled and tweaked better then those distrobutions

So tivo might write better software for th box showing a inmprovement.

you know i have a off the wall theory.... <read its sort of crazy and most likely all wrong>

OK here it goes:

I use to use two RePlayTV units I think they were 2020 models? Not sure but they did allow for MRV (multi room viewing) but not the way TiVo did it. RePlay used some sort of streamed feed since it never made its way to the 2nd units hard drive. Where as TiVo moves the content to the other units hard drive, which I always thought was better over any connection.

RePlay hits hard times and was sold off (if I recall a few times) Then DirecTV bought them or at least its IP. I assume the technology RePlay used was its own and was patented. And was/is not infringing on TiVo since I don't recall TiVo ever going after RePlay but might wrong...

Now flash forward from the late 90's to today, I have two HD TiVo's with cable cards (soon to be posted for sale; cheap) which has MRV with the same transfer to hard drive as in years past. Problem is with cable cards the networks and or shows owner can flag the show to not allow it to be transfered. As it is today about 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of my tivo shows are tagged not to allow MRV (and these are standard national feeds like TMC, History Channel, etc etc not all but many) which makes the feature useless.

Now for how many months the DirecTV uses in the CE group have had MRV via the streamed system ala'RePlayTV. Now I don't have DirecTV yet boxes come tomorrow :D but can the folks who had the CE software wer you able to watch any show or only ones that were not flagged? If it stopped you from MRV flagged shows then my story here is pointless - but if you could then I think DirecTV (err RePlayTV has a feature TiVo would want to get its hands on!!!!!)

What if this new TiVo DirecTV software is part of a bigger picture where DirecTV can actually charge TiVo a fee to use this streaming feature in future TiVo devices?

Yeah OK I'll admit it it sounds kooky but there it is -

John

actually that is a hardware downgrade from the current TivoHD that Tivo produces isnt it? I think the Moxi Hardware is the best with 1080p menus.

Depends, what will we really gain though besides maybe a different interface. Most think that the currect hardware is underpowered for the software that we have now, so one would think groundbreaking features that we do not have would not be expected.
Or perhaps, and more likely is that D* will come out with a faster model HD DVR and leave the slower hardware to their Tivo people since they want to discourage using Tivo.

As Scott says, the HR2x platform (especially the HR21-23 models) is underpowered and decidedly outdated to be introducing a 2010 product on.

TiVo has an opportunity to fix a major software performance issue (ie the database engine), but there's only so much that can be done in software. An HD GUI and other bells and whistles need some new hardware.

Or perhaps, and more likely is that D* will come out with a faster model HD DVR and leave the slower hardware to their Tivo people since they want to discourage using Tivo.
From the bits and pieces that have been released of the DIRECTV contract with TiVo, it is decidedly in a DIRECTV's best interests to heavily promote the TiVo product.

They're going to pay big money either way so they should be very motivated.

From the bits and pieces that have been released of the DIRECTV contract with TiVo, it is decidedly in a DIRECTV's best interests to heavily promote the TiVo product.

They're going to pay big money either way so they should be very motivated.
Seems like a total waste of money using the HR20 platform. The sucky experience will inevitably put an end to D* subs ever wanting a Tivo IMO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts