DirecTv Tivo phoneline question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

redbudga

Original poster
May 30, 2004
Guys ive been trying to read and understand as many of these threads as i can. but i have a question.
I have read several threads that state you do NOT need a phone line plugged into a Directv/Tivo. I just called Directv, and the csr told me that a tivo menu will only work about 3 weeks and then it will need to dial out to get an update. she said that a regular directv receiver could be in a room with out a phone line but not a tivo unit. Please point me in the right direction.
thanks

I think you need to dial in only to complete the initial setup (which can be done without being hooked up to a satellite dish, even at someone else's house), and for software updates. The next software update is supposed to enable software updates via satellite, so if you bought a new DirecTivo now, you'd have to dial in twice... once to get is set up, and a second time for the next major software update. You will get daily notices after a few weeks letting you know that it was not able to dial in successfully. Pressing the Select button on the remote clears that off the screen. My DirecTivos haven't dialed in successfully in hundreds of days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)