Please reply by conversation.

LMckin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Upstate SC
DIRECTV Announce next 25 local markets to receive HD programming

DIRECTV to Deliver Local HD Programming in 67 Markets by Year End
Eighteen More Local HD Markets Named; Approximately 74 Percent of U.S. Television Homes will have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct 10, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Already leading the satellite TV industry in the delivery of local HD programming, DIRECTV will offer local HD broadcast networks in 67 markets, representing approximately 74 percent of U.S. TV households, by year end when it rolls out 25 more local HD markets in the fourth quarter.

Local news, sports and popular primetime programming from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC will be available in HD to customers who subscribe to any TOTAL CHOICE(R) programming package that offers local channels. There is no additional charge for local HD programming.

The 25 local markets to receive HD programming from DIRECTV include:

-- Albuquerque, N.M. -- Mobile, Ala.
-- Buffalo, N.Y. -- New Orleans
-- Des Moines, Iowa -- Norfolk, Va.
-- Flint, Mich. -- Oklahoma City, Okla.
-- Ft. Meyers, Fla. -- Portland, Me.
-- Grand Rapids, Mich. -- Providence, R.I.
-- Green Bay, Wisc. -- Reno, Nev.
-- Greensboro, N.C. -- Santa Barbara, Calif.
-- Greenville, S.C. -- Spokane, Wa.
-- Harrisburg, Pa. -- Springfield, Mo.
-- Jacksonville, Fla. -- Toledo, Ohio
-- Little Rock, Ark. -- Tulsa, Okla.
-- Madison, Wisc.

"With 67 markets receiving local HD channels from DIRECTV by year end, we've set the stage for our historic capacity expansion in 2007," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, Programming Acquisition, DIRECTV, Inc. "This will enable us to leapfrog the multichannel video industry in terms of the sheer volume of HD programming available to our customers. With more than 44 million homes projected to have HD TV sets next year, we expect to be the video provider of choice for those consumers, offering the best lineup of HD programming, including local broadcast networks, sports, special events, and national networks, as well as original and exclusive programming."

With the launch of two new satellites - DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 - in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 142 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as 42 HD local channel markets representing approximately 62 percent of U.S. TV households.

Customers can receive local HD channels by obtaining DIRECTV's H20 HD receiver or its new HR20 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR, which has the ability to record up to 50 hours of programming in the new MPEG4 transmission standard. DIRECTV is offering new customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD or HD DVR receiver a $100 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Existing customers are eligible for a $99 upgrade to the new H20 receiver and dish, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.5 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. DIRECTV is approximately 39 percent owned by News Corporation. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=914114&highlight=

Last edited:
How did my city (#60) get skipped?? :confused:

DMA Rank
36 Greenville, S.C.
39 Grand Rapids, Mich.
41 Harrisburg, Pa.
42 Norfolk, Va.
45 Albuquerque, N.M.
46 Oklahoma City, Okla.
47 Greensboro, N.C.
49 Buffalo, N.Y.
50 Jacksonville, Fla.
51 Providence, R.I.
54 New Orleans
57 Little Rock, Ark.
59 Mobile, Ala.
62 Tulsa, Okla.
64 Ft. Meyers, Fla.
66 Flint, Mich.
69 Green Bay, Wisc.
71 Toledo, Ohio
73 Des Moines, Iowa
74 Portland, Me.
76 Springfield, Mo.
77 Spokane, Wa.
85 Madison, Wisc.
110 Reno, Nev.
122 Santa Barbara, Calif.

*** Corrected ranks using 2006 numbers...link: ***
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719690

Last edited:
cgking114 said:
25 markets X 4 networks= 100. Could have been what Rupert was talking about????
Things that make you go hmmmmm
LOL! I was thinking the same thing! Well all except the "Things that make you go hmmmm!" - I haven't heard that since Arseno Hall!!:D

Pretty awesome huh - 74% of the US with HD local availability in just over a year from Detroit initial launch (Oct '05). (where exactly is E* with this stuff?).

Obviously the increased market roll out shows they are getting their S**T together.

Let's hear it from the same old negatoids now.

ScoBuck said:
Pretty awesome huh - 74% of the US with HD local availability in just over a year from Detroit initial launch (Oct '05). (where exactly is E* with this stuff?).

Obviously the increased market roll out shows they are getting their S**T together.

I would agree it is a good sign as Madison is in this list yet I find it hard to get excited about something I get OTA at a better quality. It will be big deal with Packer fans as they can't get the local Fox in HD on Charter here. So hopefully some more people migrate from Cable to D*
... overall positive news nonetheless :up

ScoBuck said:

Yes, it's great for the considerable amount of hd viewers who subscribe to directv who already get their locals OTA.

Last edited:
Questioner said:
Yes, it's great for the considerable percentage of hd viewers who subscribe to directv who already get their locals OTA.

Actually (and as usual) you have no clue what you are talking about. Read the last white paper as to the extremely low percentage of viewers of DirecTV, Dish AND cable HD users that go OTA.

Yes, a higher percentage of folks that post on these boards have HD OTA, but the OVERWHELMING majority of OVERALL pay TV subs do NOT utilize antennas anymore. Thus the great majority of homes benefit from carriage of HD by their pay providers.

But you are always first to post nonsense unsubstantiated by any facts.

I am aware of the statistics that reported a while ago 3 percent of HD viewers use OTA. I do not agree with the methodology used for that statistic, but regardless that is not relevant to my point.

How does considerable mean a majority? The fact is if one wants to get hd locals, most subs can do so relatively easily with an antenna...directv will even help install one for you. However, there is nothing you can do to make up for the measley amount of national hd channels directv offers, or the hdlite quality for that matter, besides switching providers. Those are the facts. Dish has at least made an effort to cater to BOTH national and local demands.

"Yes, a higher percentage of folks that post on these boards have HD OTA"

Unfortunately for you, you are trying to spout your blatant directv fanboyism on this board.

Last edited:
Nothing of value being added to the original topic, just negativity to stir up trouble. Lets get the thread back on and stay on topic. If you have an great and east time getting OTA , then good for you. Many people do not and need an option, this is it. So leave them to their choice.

Questioner said:
Yes, it's great for the considerable percentage of hd viewers who subscribe to directv who already get their locals OTA.

Your point was clearly stated as to HD DirecTV subs who ALREADY get their locals OTA. I answered that. The number is VERY FEW, not close to a considerable percentage (which is EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE STATED).

Listen fool, its what you said, not me. You just are dead wrong. Has nothing to do with my overall pleasure with DirecTv service, just your stupidity. Sorry.

ScoBuck said:
Your point was clearly stated as to HD DirecTV subs who ALREADY get their locals OTA. I answered that. The number is VERY FEW, not close to a considerable percentage (which is EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE STATED).

Listen fool, its what you said, not me. You just are dead wrong. Has nothing to do with my overall pleasure with DirecTv service, just your stupidity. Sorry.

I am not wrong, considerable by any dictionary definition applies to the amount of directv subs who use OTA for hd locals. Considerable percentage is another matter.

And can you be mature enough to respond once to a post without petty personal attacks?

Overall pleasure is not my problem and the problem many others have talked to me about with your posts here, it's your overall bias.

But as charper requested, I will not continue this discussion here, mainly because you will use it as an excuse for useless personal insults.

charper1 said:
Nothing of value being added to the original topic, just negativity to stir up trouble. Lets get the thread back on and stay on topic. If you have an great and east time getting OTA , then good for you. Many people do not and need an option, this is it. So leave them to their choice.

charper1 - as you already know you're wating your time trying to reason with him - he has been banned in 2 other fourms already for exactly this - starting trouble and posting total BS.

ScoBuck said:
charper1 - as you already know you're wating your time trying to reason with him - he has been banned in 2 other fourms already for exactly this - starting trouble and posting total BS.

Ah I see what you tried to pull....I never said percentage in the original post.

ScoBuck said:

I am not banned on any forums, but I will not continue to debate this with you (and the trouble I have stirred up is nothing compared to the flamewars you have inspired on various boards), bye.

Last edited:
Questioner said:
I am not banned on any forums, but I will not continue to debate this with you, bye.

Any member can just ask Earl - he will confirm your banning. He was responsible for banning you - and clearly posted that at THIS site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts