DIRECTV to Introduce NOMAD tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why doesnt Directv give up?To me they will never have the cutting edge technology edge DISH NETWORK has.Dish always seems to be the first one to deliver
the best in new technology.I agree with Scott Im not overwhelmed with this Nomad either.The sling adapter to me is the best way to go.Just my personal opnion.I wish DIRECTV would
quit sending me offers in the mail.Im staying with DISH.Ive been with them since 98.

Not to be a smarta$$, but if you are such a satisfied Dish customer, why are you posting in the DirecTV forum about how good Dish Network is and how DirecTV needs to "give up"?

I like it when I can save things to my device and watch them anytime I want to and in full quality whether I have a good cell connection or not and without using any data.
Given that the nomad reportedly converts HD programs into something that is only twice the size of an SD program, I'm not sure it is reasonable to assume that it is "full quality".

I'm pretty sure the rumored 30 day expiry will bite you at some point. The nomad likely presents other compromises that haven't surfaced yet so it is probably best to fantasize about how you might use it after the product is finally delivered and the feature set is better understood.

Well we shall see. As you say until we see all the specs and ins and outs of the device it's all just fantasizing. However, even at twice the size of an SD program it will still be significantly better PQ than I was able to achieve with Sling.

Not to be a smarta$$, but if you are such a satisfied Dish customer, why are you posting in the DirecTV forum about how good Dish Network is and how DirecTV needs to "give up"?
Last time I checked this country has freedom of speech.I was simply only making a comment.Sorry for the comment....;)

This is not a substitute for Sling, it is different. I fly a lot with NO INTERNET connection which means no Sling. Nomad would be great for this.

Well I guess it needs the extra hardware to transcode it fast enough. I know my PC can't keep up with realtime transcoding... It takes hours (yes it's an older AMD socket 939 CPU).

There's no way the DVR can do it all by itself. Must be a custom ASIC designed for this task. Hope it can also do streaming so one day a simple software update could add that feature. Until then I don't need it. Guess if I had young kids it could make sense for those long car rides, but no little ones here yet!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm going to buy a Vulkano, but the Nomad will have a place in my media center as well. I camp a lot and end up spending time in all sorts of weird places where streaming isn't an option. Load a few movies or shows from my D* DVR on the iPad and head out to the woods? Sure, I'd pay $150 for the device that can do that.

I can see a function for this device. Being able to offload programming for consumption on the go when streaming is not an option is the ideal case for such a device. That being said, it'd be a nice feature to be made possible directly through existing hardware rather than needing an additional piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

have you seen a quality MKV transcode from 1080p source material and the resulting file size?
Size is relative. If "nomad HD" only takes twice as much space as "nomad SD", it can't be like the difference between SD (assumed at 480x480) and HD (assumed at 1920x1080) where HD involves nine times as many pixels.

Why doesnt Directv give up?To me they will never have the cutting edge technology edge DISH NETWORK has.Dish always seems to be the first one to deliver
the best in new technology.I agree with Scott Im not overwhelmed with this Nomad either.The sling adapter to me is the best way to go.Just my personal opnion.I wish DIRECTV would
quit sending me offers in the mail.Im staying with DISH.Ive been with them since 98.

where is dish networks dvr sharing technology?

mdram said:
where is dish networks dvr sharing technology?

They have had it for years. But not the same type of mrv that directv has now which receivers can share between receivers.

This will all change in January at CES.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

REALLY looking forward to this announcement...any news on launch, anyone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)