DIRECTV TO LAUNCH 4K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DirecTV will be ready to deliver 4K video on an on-demand basis this year, and be set up to follow with live 4K streaming next year or by early 2016, company president and CEO Mike White said Thursday on the company’s second quarter earnings call. “We're working to secure some [4K] content,” White said. “We expect certainly in 2015 or early 2016, to be able to stream live content.” - See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/directv-gears-4k/382897#sthash.k1ioMeUw.dpuf

Well guess the cat is out of the bag now... this was the big thing we saw earlier in the year at DIRECTV's secret room at the MGM that we couldn't talk about.

Neat part about it is they were demoing it using a HR-24 receiver. The video was sent out via ethernet to the TV, no special ports or HDMI 1.4 needed. (Although the 4K TV I purchased does not have an ethernet port on it...) :D

Reactions: BlueLemon
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/directv-4k-content,news-19272.html

Another article on it.

During a second-quarter earnings call on Jul. 31, Mike White, the CEO of DirecTV, explained that the satellite TV provider will put its plans to provide 4K content into play over the next 18 months. The plan requires two brand-new satellites that will be able to provide high-resolution content to customers with 4K TVs.

Interesting they are relying on the 4k TV to have ethernet and probably requires HEVC decoding from the TV. Probably aiming at the same TVs that Netflix does its 4k on.

My 4K TV I purchased unfortunately does not support HVEC. :( But it was only $299 so I guess its ok.

About them launching new satellites, does that mean the SL3 and SL5 will not be compatible?
More a bandwidth limitation than not compatible. The current HD satellites are pretty full, which is why we haven't seen much new HD channels over the past couple years.

Interesting.
I applaud Directv on this move.
Figured it would be streaming to start.
I'm really looking forward to live 4k sports broadcast. Some in Europe and Japan have already done it.
Probably be 3-5 years before it happens here.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Very interesting thanks for sharing! I wonder how they will introduce it in the receivers? Thanks for any answers and help!! :)

Doesn't the 4K standard have 3D built into it?

Very interesting thanks for sharing! I wonder how they will introduce it in the receivers? Thanks for any answers and help!! :)

Given the hints so far, it looks like the receiver will receive and descramble the data stream from the satellite then send it over ethernet to the TV. I suppose it simply mirrors the data stream going to the disk to the ethernet port, instead of sending it through the MPEG2/4 decoding chips and eventually the HDMI port.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)