DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
jake14mw said:
I don't understand this. Why would you need a 5LNB dish to receive somebody else's locals that they already receive with the current phase III dish?

Because once the HD locals are launched the only way anyone will be able to get them is using the 5 LNB dish which is not much bigger the the phase III dish. Here is were you can see pictures of the 5 LNB dish for anyone who has not seen it yet http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=103753

bjflynn05 said:
Because once the HD locals are launched the only way anyone will be able to get them is using the 5 LNB dish which is not much bigger the the phase III dish. Here is were you can see pictures of the 5 LNB dish for anyone who has not seen it yet

There appears to be a little confusion here, as I understand it the "significantly Viewed" channels are not HD, they are simply more SD channels from neighboring DMA's that have a high viewership in your DMA. Consequently the "significantly viewed" channels would not require a new dish at all, IF the spot beam for your new "significantly viewed" channels is receivable in your area.
There is some good rationale for this, for example, while I am in the HUNTSVILLE_DECATUR DMA, my local cable company offers BOTH Huntsville, Al and Nashville, TN local channels. It would seem that Directv should be able to do the same thing.....

leww37334 said:
There appears to be a little confusion here, as I understand it the "significantly Viewed" channels are not HD, they are simply more SD channels from neighboring DMA's that have a high viewership in your DMA. Consequently the "significantly viewed" channels would not require a new dish at all, IF the spot beam for your new "significantly viewed" channels is receivable in your area.
There is some good rationale for this, for example, while I am in the HUNTSVILLE_DECATUR DMA, my local cable company offers BOTH Huntsville, Al and Nashville, TN local channels. It would seem that Directv should be able to do the same thing.....

**sort of**

The FCC recently stated that digitals were in play, as well. So.... Given that D* is rolling out HD LIL now, they might want to get that rolling as well.

With the New Haven example, this flies as well, given that Hartford locals aren't that far off.

leww37334 said:

That's not exactly true, since some people only have the single LNB dish, and some markets require a Phase III dish. There are also some markets that are on 72.5, and the customer would need a second dish to receive those SV channels.

What is being said, which is very plausible, is that DirecTV doesn't want to have to go out and replace some people's single LNB dish with a Phase III dish, and then have to go out a few month's later and install one of the new DirecTV 5-LNB dishes (AT9).

Of course, that doesn't have much to do with the people who need a 72.5 dish until DirecTV 9s is launched since that's probably where the 72.5 locals will be moved to once it's in operation.

Also, why DirecTV would worry about having to replace someone's single LNB dish (who more than likely doesn't have HD) with a new AT9 dish a short time after DirecTV gives them a Phase III dish, I don't know...

~Alan

I have a dumb question.

If the concern is that launching SV now would, in some markets, mean that D* has to go out and install a 3-sat dish to be followed shortly thereafter with a 5-sat dish... why couldn't D* adopt the policy that SV in and of itself doesn't qualify a subscriber to a dish-upgrade, at least for the next 3-6 months (or however long it'll take to build up the requisite inventory of 5-sat dishes)?

That would seem to be a more logical way to address the delay of SV (assuming it is the result of the dish-change, and not FCC bureaucracy or database issues) than to keep a desired service from customers who are already equipped to benefit from it.

I'd email someone at D* that question, but evidence seems to suggest that the folks with the power to ask/relay/suggest that idea aren't accessible to lowly subscribers. ;)

On a related note -- the leaked memo made reference to the dealers' site being updated to show new hardware requirements for areas that were to have changed DMA's with the 12/9 changes. Did that update happen? Did the DMA shifts happen? Or is conventional wisdom saying that everything is on hold for a few months?

I have no idea but Directv Retailers that go to this forum check to see if DMA's were changed. I am currently awaiting an e-mail from d* on DMA's as we speak. Probley won't tell me much, but who knows.
a good clue of DMA changing is if Clay County, IL is in terre haute DMA or if it is in st.louis dma. It was in the terre haute DMA, but Nielsen has clay county in the st. louis dma.

jhamps10 said:
I have no idea but Directv Retailers that go to this forum check to see if DMA's were changed. I am currently awaiting an e-mail from d* on DMA's as we speak. Probley won't tell me much, but who knows.
a good clue of DMA changing is if Clay County, IL is in terre haute DMA or if it is in st.louis dma. It was in the terre haute DMA, but Nielsen has clay county in the st. louis dma.

they may send you same type of reply they sent to me about the sv

see my reply from d* at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=786064&postcount=177

1500 LIL & 150 NATIONAL HD CHANNELS .. AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES A FLAW IN THE SLAW

In The 210 Dma's How Many Locals Are Their Combined ?

Now As For National Channels ... There Is Wayyyyy More Than 150 Channels, So What Channels Will Directv Drop ?

Because If The Channels Themselves Are No Hd Directv Could Still Upconvert Them To Hd

But Still We Have Over 150 National Channels ( Tnt, Espn Etc...) And Manty Not Carried By Directv Yet...

So Me I Am Not Celebrating, They Dont Have Room For The 300+ National Channels Out There...

So This Means Either More Sat Launches And/or Another New Dish We Will Need After The 5 Bird One In 3 Years

So Now What ?

moqz1001 said:
In The 210 Dma's How Many Locals Are Their Combined ?

Now As For National Channels ... There Is Wayyyyy More Than 150 Channels, So What Channels Will Directv Drop ?

Because If The Channels Themselves Are No Hd Directv Could Still Upconvert Them To Hd

But Still We Have Over 150 National Channels ( Tnt, Espn Etc...) And Manty Not Carried By Directv Yet...

So Me I Am Not Celebrating, They Dont Have Room For The 300+ National Channels Out There...

So This Means Either More Sat Launches And/or Another New Dish We Will Need After The 5 Bird One In 3 Years

So Now What ?

DirecTV is saying what kind of bandwidth they will have with these new satellites. They are simply saying that they have enough bandwidth now with all of these satellites to offer 1500 local HD channels and 150 national HD channels. In this case if you look at all the DMAs if everyone of the stations in all the DMAs has an HDTV feed that would total between 1400-1500 local HD channels. Now beyond that they are also saying they have enough "room" to offer 150 national HD channels even though 150 national HD channels aren't available yet. Now if you take everything that is out today and what is announced it comes to quite a bit. Just the Voom 21 suite and the upcoming Fox HD suite will total almost 25 HD channels by themselves. They also have plans at some point in the future to offer all premium movie HD channels including the west feeds. So with HBO HD East and West, Cinemax HD East and West, Showtime HD East and West, TMC HD East and Starz HD East and West we are looking at 34 total HD channels.

Simply I'll just list what is out today.

ESPN 1&2 HD, TNT HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, Wealth HD, MTV HD, HGTV HD, Food Network HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, InHD 1&2 and OLN HD. Now add a five channel Fox HD suite plus a 21 channel Voom HD suite.

This gives us 40 HD channels. Now add five PPV HD channels which gives us 45 total. Now add the premium HD channels which will be 9 for a total of 54 national HD channels. Now in the future D* plans to carry tons of HD games from the MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA along with other college events. Again this takes national bandwidth because customers all over the USA will be getting these HD games. You can see from this example that 150 national HD channels worth of bandwidth isn't that much in the whole scheme of things is it. Also factor in that once cable companies and Verizon starts getting massive amounts of bandwidth between fiber and switched broadcast video technology you can expect other premium network channels to offer HD versions. Because most movies are available with HD masters it wouldn't be that hard to have say all HBO channels offered in HDTV because once enough companies have more than enough bandwidth to carry them they will invest in more transponder space to host the extra HD channels they will be offering. I'm talking about HBO investing in transponder space because they must have the bandwidth to host the feeds for the cable and satellite companies to pick them up and pass them to their customers.

Sorry to go so long but they are planning for the future and as such these are forward looking statements and their ads and press releases clearly state that they will have enough bandwidth to offer 150 national HD channels and they are not saying that they will have 150 national HD channels.

Are you perhaps listing out what national HD channels are coming, Longhorn??? ;)

Seriously - any word on when we might expect some actual national channels - any specific talk with dates so far has only been in regards to Local HD channels. I have a sinking feeling that all resources at DirecTV are focused on these locals, and we'll still be talking about our first MPEG4 national launch at Thanksgiving... of 2006... but that's just the pessimist in me coming out.

And what is this message doing in the Significantly Viewed thread anyway??? :eek:

LonghornXP said:
DirecTV is saying what kind of bandwidth they will have with these new satellites. They are simply saying that they have enough bandwidth now with all of these satellites to offer 1500 local HD channels and 150 national HD channels. In this case if you look at all the DMAs if everyone of the stations in all the DMAs has an HDTV feed that would total between 1400-1500 local HD channels. Now beyond that they are also saying they have enough "room" to offer 150 national HD channels even though 150 national HD channels aren't available yet. Now if you take everything that is out today and what is announced it comes to quite a bit. Just the Voom 21 suite and the upcoming Fox HD suite will total almost 25 HD channels by themselves. They also have plans at some point in the future to offer all premium movie HD channels including the west feeds. So with HBO HD East and West, Cinemax HD East and West, Showtime HD East and West, TMC HD East and Starz HD East and West we are looking at 34 total HD channels.

Simply I'll just list what is out today.

ESPN 1&2 HD, TNT HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, Wealth HD, MTV HD, HGTV HD, Food Network HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, InHD 1&2 and OLN HD. Now add a five channel Fox HD suite plus a 21 channel Voom HD suite.

This gives us 40 HD channels. Now add five PPV HD channels which gives us 45 total. Now add the premium HD channels which will be 9 for a total of 54 national HD channels. Now in the future D* plans to carry tons of HD games from the MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA along with other college events. Again this takes national bandwidth because customers all over the USA will be getting these HD games. You can see from this example that 150 national HD channels worth of bandwidth isn't that much in the whole scheme of things is it. Also factor in that once cable companies and Verizon starts getting massive amounts of bandwidth between fiber and switched broadcast video technology you can expect other premium network channels to offer HD versions. Because most movies are available with HD masters it wouldn't be that hard to have say all HBO channels offered in HDTV because once enough companies have more than enough bandwidth to carry them they will invest in more transponder space to host the extra HD channels they will be offering. I'm talking about HBO investing in transponder space because they must have the bandwidth to host the feeds for the cable and satellite companies to pick them up and pass them to their customers.

Sorry to go so long but they are planning for the future and as such these are forward looking statements and their ads and press releases clearly state that they will have enough bandwidth to offer 150 national HD channels and they are not saying that they will have 150 national HD channels.

why not answer, they will have room on the 3 birds that are not lil for only 150 channels that ate either hd or upcoveted hd, thats bs

if that is not the case then state so in their "marketing statememnts, i am for one disguisted

jdk said:
Are you perhaps listing out what national HD channels are coming, Longhorn??? ;)

Seriously - any word on when we might expect some actual national channels - any specific talk with dates so far has only been in regards to Local HD channels. I have a sinking feeling that all resources at DirecTV are focused on these locals, and we'll still be talking about our first MPEG4 national launch at Thanksgiving... of 2006... but that's just the pessimist in me coming out.

And what is this message doing in the Significantly Viewed thread anyway??? :eek:

I know this sucks but until DirecTV gets every HD customer upgraded with the new five LNB dish and MPEG4 hardware nobody will be seeing much more than another 4-8 HD channels. As you guess their focus is on getting agreements in place for HD LIL channels. They do have plans to upgrade all HD customers even if they won't have HD locals ready yet but that is going to take a good six plus month period of time. I expect 2007 to be the biggest year for HDTV you guys have and will ever see.

"More than 150 National HD Channels" isn't enough?

How many channels do you get today from DirecTV?

I just counted, and for TC Premiere:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Packages_Comparison.jsp

there's 171 SD channels listed (and this includes things like the "freeview" channels , "HBO Latino" and "World Harvest Television").

So if all the current channels were magically converted (not going to happen for a long,long time), they would have enough bandwidth to cover them all. And then guess what? They'll then have their original bandwidth free to add even more national channels!

Don't waste your breath guys. He is clearly just trying to bait you.

There is no where near 150 national HD channels and wont be for a long while; there MIGHT be 20 now (not couting the networks) and when we approach around 120-130 available I am sure there will be new satellite tech to launch and new compression schemes to use.

There is also no need to upconvert any SD or 480p channels, that would be a waste. With 5 sat locations (maybe more by the 5 year mark) even conservative math will provide for MORE THAN ENOUGH room for what all that we have now and then some; add in MPEG4 compression, the new HD LIL and the new national HD stuff, and there will STILL be room to spare for 3 - 5 years.

I mean geez the 4 or 5 duplicate posts of the same ridiculous crud all over many threads is the marks of a madman; LOL! ;)

here is news report about the sv channels in Dallas Texas

Television choices to change

By Kathy Williams
Herald Democrat

By New Year, fans of Fox 4 and UPN broadcasts out of Dallas won't find those stations offered in Grayson County if agreements currently under negotiation are signed. Gray Television Services of Texas-Sherman, which owns CBS affiliate KXII television, is working on agreements with Fox and UPN to create Fox (Texoma) and UPN (Texoma).

How that affects television viewers' daily fare, particularly that of sports and morning news magazine fans, depends on deals Gray Television is negotiating.

KXII television station manager, Rick Dean, said he had no comment on any questions asked about the negotiations or what programming the stations will offer. Fox Broadcasting representative Scott Grogan said Friday, “Fox Broadcasting is in discussions with Gray Television regarding a digital carriage affiliation.” A spokesman with UPN would not discuss whether his company had reached an agreement with Gray Television to become an affiliate.

Although the network agreements have not been confirmed, Gray Television has entered into an agreement with CableOne to carry the networks on the same channels their Dallas counterparts occupy now, CableOne General Manager Claude Edwards said. On CableOne, Fox will still appear on Channel 4, and UPN on Channel 6. Edwards said his company will not offer the Dallas versions in the Sherman-Ada designated market area.

UPN offers just two hours a day of prime-time network programming. The rest is up to the local station. UPN-21 out of Dallas offers 30 Dallas Mavericks basketball games each season.

Dallas Mavericks Director of Broadcasts Dave Evans said UPN in Sherman has negotiated a deal to become an affiliate of the Mavericks and will carry 13 of the 30 over-the-air games. The other 50-plus games are carried on Fox Sports Southwest or other networks and are not affected by the deals.

“That's the most games they (UPN in Sherman) are choosing to air,” Evans said. “We can't force them to air all of them. They just tell us what they can air and we do those.”

Edwards said he expects UPN Texoma begin operations over the cable in mid-December and Fox Texoma at the end of the year.

Evans said the only way viewers here could see the additional 17 Mavericks games are to access UPN-21 out of Dallas.

Mark Lumpkin, a spokesman for DISH Network, said that company's Grayson County viewers cannot currently receive UPN out of Dallas or Sherman-Ada. However, basketball fans who subscribe to DISH Network can add HD Net, a high-definition signal, through which Mavericks owner Mark Cuban offers some of the games. DISH also offers basketball season packages that offer all the games played.

Lumpkin said his company will offer Fox out of Sherman when it becomes available, and for most satellite subscribers, that will be the only available source for the primary Fox Network. Other Fox-owned channels, such as Fox Sports and Fox News, are not affected by the change.

“The good news is we are looking to expand our TV lineup when these local stations are available,” Lumpkin said.

Robert Mercer, with satellite provider DirecTV's corporate office, said his company doesn't carry either Dallas or local market station signals to its customers here.

Asked if he had the option of offering the Mavericks games on a separate channel, Edwards replied, “We're not going to duplicate, basically when Fox 4 goes away, Fox Texoma goes on and we won't duplicate programming one from the other. Under FCC rules, unless you carry a channel in its entirety, you can't cherry pick its programs.”

Asked how carrying two Fox or UPN channels on the cable is different from carrying two CBS or ABC affiliates as it currently does, Edwards explained that at one time the Dallas market encompassed Grayson County, but that has changed. The old stations were grandfathered in. New stations from Dallas now would be considered out-of-market.

Edwards added that CableOne carries both KXAS 5 and KTEN because “we have an agreement, number one, with Channel 5 to carry them, and KTEN, we have an agreement to carry them. But we don't have an agreement with Fox in Dallas at the present time or with UPN in Dallas at the present time. Since KXII is carrying them, as a local channel of sorts on their multiplex, then it will replace them for carriage rights.”

Asked if his company legally could carry both UPN Texoma and UPN Dallas, Edwards replied, “There's no physical law against it that someone would get put in jail, but there are certain financial aspects of the point, some requirements of syndication exclusivity and non-duplication requests.”

Edwards also said that he was not involved with negotiating the contract, “but basically, it doesn't do us any good to carry two channels that are 80 percent duplicated.”

Asa Jessee, general manager for KTEN television, said FCC regulations for cable companies stipulate that they must carry local broadcast stations. Once every three years, television broadcasters elect which of two relationships they will have with cable companies. If they elect to be a “must carry” station, the cable must carry their signal on its original channel or one on which they agree, but is not required to pay the broadcaster for a signal.

If the broadcaster elects the retransmission option, as KXII evidently did, then the broadcaster and the cable company negotiate a contract. Jessee said those contracts can include just about any arrangement that's otherwise legal. For example, the length of the contract could be longer than the three-year must-carry period. The cable company could pay the broadcaster a certain amount per subscriber or the broadcaster could pay the cable company. The cable company could agree to carry new channels in exchange for a longer contract.

And, he said, the cable company could chose to carry the Dallas stations as well. Must-carry rights do not extend to channels other than the primary channel.

“Must-carry only applies to local stations. If you follow the national news, the Dallas-based company, NextStar Media, owns a lot of television stations and it demanded that cable companies pay them to carry their signal,” Jessee said. “Lots of cable companies, including several in Texas, refused and dropped them. Pretty much, cable companies are drawing the line at paying for signals.”

U.S. Federal Communications Commission regulations determine what cable and satellite stations may and must offer their subscribers based on which DMA (designated market area) their signals originate in. Television signals originate either “in market” or “out-of-market.” Some signals are called “distant networks.” And rules differ for satellite and cable companies.

The FCC also gives viewers additional access to stations in particular markets whose product is “significantly viewed.” The only way to change that, Lumpkin said, is to write to the stations to ask that they seek a “significantly viewed” status in Grayson County.

He said the process of gaining such a status can be lengthy and might not be successful.

Lumpkin also said federal laws treat satellite and cable carriers differently. Currently, and in most cases, satellite providers can't offer both a Sherman and a Dallas market signal to their subscribers.

The only way to change that is to petition federal legislators to change the law.

Chris Cavender, who with his wife Laura owns and operates a satellite television installation service, said he's been frustrated by the federal rules for years. What satellite services they may offer their subscribers changes frequently, he said. Some new subscribers can't even get signals he offers to others in Grayson County. And Grayson County subscribers can't get stations, like UPN-21 that those in Fannin, Cooke and Collin have always gotten.

The number of local stations replacing Dallas area broadcasts is likely to increase, Jessee said. But the same technology could also bring locally-generated programming unique to the area.

Digital television technology innovations allow broadcasters to split their signals into up to six broadcast channels, Jessee explained. So, potentially, local viewers would be able to receive up to 12 local stations without broadcast corporations needing to obtain new channel designations from the FCC. That's an important point, because of other changes Congress and the FCC are creating in the world of television and other transmission regulation.

Nazifa Sawez, a spokeswoman for the FCC, calls the practice of broadcasting more than one signal from a station's bandwidth, multi-casting. Such splitting must be reported and broadcasters must pay fees for each.

Sawez explained that the FCC has stopped issuing new licenses for both high- and low-power stations. That's because the federal government is clearing space in the airways (called bandwidth) to protect emergency communications from interference and disruption.

4-8 HD channels? I'd be more than happy with that!!!! I'm so backed up with the shows my HD TIVO recorded that even with new stuff I wouldn't really be watching it anyway. Now, I wonder if we took a poll here how many hours/day people actually spend watching TV? :confused:

LonghornXP said:
I know this sucks but until DirecTV gets every HD customer upgraded with the new five LNB dish and MPEG4 hardware nobody will be seeing much more than another 4-8 HD channels. As you guess their focus is on getting agreements in place for HD LIL channels. They do have plans to upgrade all HD customers even if they won't have HD locals ready yet but that is going to take a good six plus month period of time. I expect 2007 to be the biggest year for HDTV you guys have and will ever see.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)