DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In in Dover, DE and we get the Philly, PA locals. Would we be able to get the baltimore locals??? thanks!

Greg Bimson said:
Once again, misinformation abounds, mainly from moqz1001:Why would it be the uplink facility? I would think it is the authorization database that needs to be fixed, for significantly-viewed.WHOA. Austin and San Antonio have shared a UPN station for FIVE YEARS. One station available in two markets doesn't mean anything about signficantly-viewed. The station must have signed a contract with their program providers to clear copyrights for both markets, and then the station would have signed a contract with DirecTV to carry the station in both markets.And Dayton is so special? I am in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. It is all about me, and we definitely should be first. :) It was an internal memo. Then again, there was expectation that the FCC would have actually issued these signficantly-viewed rules prior to the end of last week.

Remember that signficantly-viewed stations are those that get 3 percent of the viewing audience using an antenna. Since that 1972 list, most people get their OTA stations from another source. It is getting harder and harder to find people to fill out the survey to add stations to the list.

O YEA i forgot you personally spoke to the owner of the cincy station huh,, I did and thats why i know this is directv's foul up and not the fcc's ...

and yes it is the uplink facility, because the day our dayton locals were turned on, my reciever would not get them, so had to reboot it, and then upn itself would not come on, so i called the station and was 3 way calling with him to the uplink facility, and told them they failed to add my zipcode to the aloowed to view upn from cincy, so that is h9ow i know what i am talking about ... facts not your fiction

moqz1001 said:
uhhuh, if had to get it launched, and are running behind schedule, then why has the dayton dma been able to get an out of dma upn staion ? the reason is cause they have had the ability, and programming capabality for a year + but no action to implement it for more areas

They've actually had the ability for much longer - basically as long as LIL has existed, so no reason to vent.

Come on, guys - let's keep this civil (As a CT resident waiting for CT channels as a result of this, I want it as bad as you all do)

O YEA i forgot you personally spoke to the owner of the cincy station huh,, I did and thats why i know this is directv's foul up and not the fcc's ...
Other than the counties specifically mentioned in the SHVIA (the four in New Hampshire that can receive WMUR and the two in southern Mississippi that can receive both Baton Rouge and Jackson locals), signficantly-viewed has not been given to anyone, yet. To state that any foul-up has occured before the start of service is extremely short-sighted. You should start the blame game after the remainder of signifcantly-viewed has been implemented.
and yes it is the uplink facility, because the day our dayton locals were turned on, my reciever would not get them, so had to reboot it, and then upn itself would not come on, so i called the station and was 3 way calling with him to the uplink facility, and told them they failed to add my zipcode to the aloowed to view upn from cincy, so that is h9ow i know what i am talking about ... facts not your fiction
Sure. Let's talk about facts...

First, let's take a look at the FCC's signficantly-viewed list. Funny how WBQC isn't anywhere on it. Yet, WBQC is authorized for the entire Dayton DMA. Therefore, the fact that you've been receiving WBQC via the signficantly-viewed clause is incorrect. You've been receiving WBQC through some contractual means, as I've stated above, because WBQC, as a class-A station, is not even available for must-carry.

Second, some receivers had issues when authorizing local service once the service started from the 119 slot. Many people had to reboot to receive local channels.

Third, just like the UPN station in San Antonio (KBEJ), it took a while to authorize Austin to receive KBEJ. What complicates matters on WBQC is that it needed to be authorized from the 101 slot and share with Cincinnati, while the remaining locals only for Dayton were authorized on both 101 and 119. As you stated, "they failed to add my zipcode". But only for WBQC, according to your post. And WBQC is one of a few channels DirecTV carries that are available in two markets. Do you think it's possible DirecTV simply didn't update the zipcode list for that station, since it is available in two markets?

Don't assume by comparing apples (the introduction of a new local market) with oranges (the introduction of significantly-viewed channels) that you know what exactly is going on.

Alan Gordon said:
It seems that Scott's post here might have something to do with it...

~Alan

prob true BUT stll directv would not had to ugrade anyone in dayton dma, as we already have the correct dishes to get sv channels because of the sat loctions of dayton and cincy channels, again directv dropped the ball, and coulda launched the people in areas who already had equipment for sv cause of the sat location of their locals

And just before anyone thinks I am bit a touch rough with moqz1001:

DirecTV released an internal memo that significantly-viewed would start 11/9. DirecTV somehow failed to execute their plan. As of 11/10, significantly-viewed is still only available to those areas in Mississippi and New Hampshire spelled out in the SHVERA.

We don't know why DirecTV failed to execute their plan. We do know that the FCC last week finally issued the rules for significantly-viewed. The only other news I was able to find was on SatBizNews.com, with this comment in the Wednesday, 9 November headlines:

DIRECTV PANS PARTS OF STATION RULES

I'd suspect something happened in the rulemaking procedure which we haven't seen at this point.

true, and I don't think your rough with moqz. was the internal memo a spefic date though, I thought it wasn't a set in stone date.

Scott was right and SV channels won't be rolled out until they get enough supply of the new 5LNB dish. It also seems that the triple LNB dish will be phased out shortly for the 5LNB dish. As was said by Scott and I don't doubt many others many customers will need a dish upgrade and they don't want to upgrade a customer for free twice for a few months difference time.

Also an internal memo will never be official and to think that every internal memo happens is just crazy on your parts. Things change all the time and until those few of you get this through your heads you will never get respect from anyone.

LonghornXP said:
Scott was right and SV channels won't be rolled out until they get enough supply of the new 5LNB dish. It also seems that the triple LNB dish will be phased out shortly for the 5LNB dish. As was said by Scott and I don't doubt many others many customers will need a dish upgrade and they don't want to upgrade a customer for free twice for a few months difference time.

I don't understand this. Why would you need a 5LNB dish to receive somebody else's locals that they already receive with the current phase III dish?

I live in the Washington, DC-Hagerstown, MD DMA and my county is listed as over 90% cable penetration in the FCC listing. There are at least three cable companies operating in my county. Will I receive any additional channels if SV channels comes to fruition?

Let's talk about fairness...

The law passed in late 2004, the Satellite Home Viewers' Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) added this nice caveat that any subscriber that receives distant network HD must receive the channel from their time zone or later. This means that all people in the Pacific Time Zone can only receive the LA HD feeds, and that is the only west coast choice. Therefore, these subscribers were limited to one feed, by law.

DirecTV then applied this "one HD feed" by law, and made their own policy: only one distant HD feed. Even though the east coast subscribers could technically, by law, receive both NY and LA HD feeds.

DirecTV simply may have made a new policy: no SV rollouts until everyone gets the correct equipment.

There are people that have a single-slot dish that would require a multi-slot dish in order to get the SV channels. Considering that 60 percent of subscribers probably have these single-slot dishes, that is quite a few dishes to swap out. To do this twice in one year might be dumb. DirecTV could have sidestepped significantly-viewed until they figure out their policy for completing all the dish swaps.

if they make me get a 30" dish to get sv i'll just ILLEGALLY "MOVE" to get pittsburgh locals. I don't want the hugeass ugly looking dish on my roof.

Dumb question:

will this help knowing if/what SV I'll be getting?? For example, right now I'm in el dorado county in CA. It list the channels from sacramento I already get.

Thanks!

Ex Direcway said:
I don't know if anyone else has posted this but I found this list of stations posted along with the order re: SV stations at the following address.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-187A1.pdf

&

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-187A2.pdf%3E

Hope this helps. :yes

hey guys, what's everyone's thought on the SV site not able to show anything. maybe they are adding the info, but not the channels yet? just a thought, do I think that's happening, maybe, or maybe not.

here is an email that i`ve gotten back from directv after i`ve email them about the sv

Thanks for writing. Recent changes in the law allow DIRECTV to offer local channels from nearby cities if the FCC determines they have a significant level of viewership outside of their home market.

We are working hard to get our systems ready to deliver neighboring local channels and to determine what markets will be receiving new channels, but it may take some time. Although there’s no set timetable right now, it’s possible that we'll be ready in some cities later this year. More information will be available on DIRECTV.com as it is announced. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and updates about our services.

Sincerely,

Karen N
DIRECTV Customer Service

jhamps10 said:
hey guys, what's everyone's thought on the SV site not able to show anything. maybe they are adding the info, but not the channels yet? just a thought, do I think that's happening, maybe, or maybe not.

That what i`ve gotten this morning and then Later it was back to normal and with no search results.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just got word from one of my DirecTV contacts that the SV upgrade has been suspended indefinately in certain areas (based on Zip code)

The reason for this is the fact that in some markets to get SV channels a customer would need to upgrade their Dish. DirecTV does not want to upgrade them to a triple sat dish then a few months later have to go oout there and upgrade them to the new 5 Satellite square dish.

My contact is working on getting me a list of which areas this affects, when I get it, I will post it.

That makes a lot of sense, but what about the areas where most people
already have the triple sat dish like New Haven county? We already need the
phase three dish for locals, so why not launch sv channels here for those that
can get them? Any further word on when it will happen?

Chip

Im hoping they stick to the "suspended indefinately in certain areas (based on Zip code)" statement, and that New Haven County are the zip codes they dont suspend.

I find it ironic that the example used by D* in the original SV press release (New Haven County) wouldnt actually be able to be converted, especially considering we all have to already have the 3 LNB dish to get our locals.

I wonder if Im gonna have problems, they just added a new zip code in my town, who knows how D* will handle that.

-Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts