Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DirecTV is getting ready to launch Significantly Viewed DMA service. These significantly viewed DMA's will be made available to customers on November 9th, 2005.

For example folks in New Haven, CT will be able to watch NYC locals as well as the Hartford / New Haven Locals.

For more details SatelliteGuys.US is proud to give you the first look at DirecTV's Significantly Viewed DMA Plans, please see the PDF below for all the details released to date!

Thanks for being a SatelliteGuys Member!

Attachments

• locals info.pdf
    644.6 KB · Views: 5,682
YEEHAW! Just what I've been waiting for!!!

If I get WTXX (100% positive) and WTIC (who knows?), one full court sub goes!

I'm interested if they've made any movement on "the list" of neighboring channels...

pardon my ignorance here...but what does this mean for us newbies?

Is this comparable with the Super DMA's Voom used to have?

Any idea how I can verify if I need more hardware or not?

Oddly enough, Im in the example DMA (New Haven County CT, but yet Im not allowed to have the locals that people 1 mile away can have), but it doesnt make it clear if in that case I would need access to the 72 slot or if they are just carrying both DMAs on 119 (as of now, they are because I know people 1 mile away get the NYC locals with a normal Phase III dish).

I dont have access to the retailer login site on DirecTV's website, so if anyone happens to be able to check (or just knows off hand), Id appreciate it.

BTW, Im in zip code 06460 if that helps.

Thanks!
-Chris

will they have an updated local channel site to check see if what if any addittion local stations that we might be getting. on directv website.

chrisexv6 said:
Any idea how I can verify if I need more hardware or not?

Chris --

Down Milford way, you should be eligible to gain the 5 English-language networks out of New York (WCBS2,WNBC4,WNYW5,WABC7,WWOR9,WPIX11) if D* fully adopts Significantly Viewed. You should be all set equipment wise, as the NY locals are carried on the same bird that most of the D* non-HDTV signals are coming from.

What I'd like to know is will DirecTV be fully rolling out SV? I thought I saw in some of the E* "enhanced" areas that E* wasn't delivering all the neighboring locals that the FCC list says are kosher.

When the retailer site gets updated, could someone check out ZIPs 03431 (should pick up WFSB and WWLP), 11978 (WFSB, WTNH, WVIT, WTXX), 08829 (KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WTXF, WPSG), and 21403 (WRC, WTTG, WJLA, WUSA, WDCA; however, E* omits WTTG and WDCA)?

Scott:

It is possible that you would need new equipment for either the updated DMA or the neighboring locals. An example would be if you have older (more than one year) equipment, and your neighboring locals are at 72.5. If you read the memo closely, you will notice that Directv will reimburse retailers for the upgrade if necessary.

Al

Guys,

Please don't kill me/jump on me for asking this. Does anyone know how this will affect the L.A. DMA (I actually live in the L.A. Area [no chance I would get the NY feeds would I ??]? Thanks.

Matthew

Tele-TV said:
Guys,

Please don't kill me/jump on me for asking this. Does anyone know how this will affect the L.A. DMA (I actually live in the L.A. Area [no chance I would get the NY feeds would I ??]? Thanks.

No chance of New York. SV allows some folks to get some locals from neighboring markets, and the last time I checked, New York isn't a neighbor of L.A. :)

Potential additions would be:

Inyo County: KOLO 8, Reno

Eastern Riverside County: KTVK 3, KPHO 5, KSAZ 10, KPNX 12 all from Phoenix, and KYMA 11, Yuma

...and some Los Angeles locals could potentially be made available in other nearby counties.

I live in Duluth, MN.

For example folks in Duluth, MN will be able to watch Minneapolis/ST. Paul locals as well as Duluth/Superior Locals.

Potential Additions:

4-WCCO 5-KSTP 9-KMSP 11-KARE 23-KMWB 29-WFTC 45-KSTC

KRII-TV "RANGE 11" should move from Channel 11 to 7.

However, UPN will finally be available to Duluth/Superior Subscribers?

bradhasbrouck said:
I live in Duluth, MN.

For example folks in Duluth, MN will be able to watch Minneapolis/ST. Paul locals as well as Duluth/Superior Locals.
no. The only county that MIGHT be added is Aitkin because they use to be in the Duluth DMA and a couple years ago they switched to Mpls. Basically if cable carries it, you might get it on DBS. Since Charter only carries Duluth, thats all we'll get

Potential Additions:

4-WCCO 5-KSTP 9-KMSP 11-KARE 23-KMWB 29-WFTC 45-KSTC
per SHVERA, only the Big 4 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) are eligible

KRII-TV "RANGE 11" should move from Channel 11 to 7.
honestly get rid of KRII. All it is is a translator of KBJR, sans a couple local commercials. Its like WIRT 13 (translator of WDIO 10)

However, UPN will finally be available to Duluth/Superior Subscribers?
won't happen due to SHVERA....Direct/Dish has to add it.

question? if my understanding is correct if i live in new haven county i will be able to receive both connecticut and n.y. locals. so that being said if i get the ny locals will i be able to the ny HD feed??

What is different?

I am in the Detroit DMA, I get Detroit stations on the satellite. I am on the border of Ohio and get Toledo stations fully integrated into the PG with an antenna. What would be different?

Here's the real important question. When D* goes HD LIL with MPEG4, will the HD network channels follow as well or does this stuff only apply to SD channels?

bradhasbrouck said:
I live in Duluth, MN.

No, at least not as I understand it. The Significantly Viewed provision in SHIVERA allows DBS operators to deliver out-of-market locals if and only if the FCC has determined that those out-of-market stations are "significantly viewed" OTA in the subscriber's community.

So, for example, in St. Louis County, the only SV stations are Duluth locals, therefore no new locals would be available to D* subscribers in Duluth.

However, over in Gogebic County, MI (which I think is still part of the Duluth market?), D* would be permitted to offer WJFW (NBC 12 out of Rhinelander) in addition to the Duluth locals because the FCC says that WJFW is SV in Gogebic County.

Similarly in Pine County, MN (part of the Minneapolis market IIRC), D* would be allowed to offer KDLH (CBS 3), KBJR (NBC 6), and WDIO (ABC 10) from Duluth in addition to the MSP locals, because those 3 Duluth stations are on the FCC SV list for that county.

cmags said:
question? if my understanding is correct if i live in new haven county i will be able to receive both connecticut and n.y. locals.

Not completely. D* will be allowed to offer WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, and WPIX to subscribers in New Haven County, plus WABC and WWOR if you're outside New Haven proper, plus all the Hartford/New Haven locals you get today. D* still isn't allowed to deliver the umpteenbazillion other NYC locals to New Haven County.

And, D* doesn't have to offer all of those NYC stations either...which is the reason for the question I posted earlier in the thread. (E* hasn't been offering everything it's allowed to in the markets where they've rolled out SV.)

I have no clue on what this means for HD, as SV is a SD reg, and I don't have HD equipment anyway. :(

The other burning question, will this have any impact on Blackouts (sports come to mind) to either the significantly viewed channels or the ones in the primary DMA?

Seeing how ridiculously huge sports markets are, one would assume that the SV channels would fall into the same team markets and thus the same BO rules. This is merely a guess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)