DirecTV to offer free HD receiver upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Annoying, unwise questions that lack judgment require the same in an answer. I feel better already.

Oh, by the way I was just walking down the street and found out that there are 12 high definition DVRs on my block. Does anybody here think that they will replace all 12, if they decide to replace those receivers? If they do that will be great cause we all love our very nice High Definition DVRs and oh I will be so excited! Or do you think I should call D* and get an answer or wait til someone on the forum answers me? Ooooooooh, this is so exciting!

LonghornXP said:
They will indeed upgrade all of your current HD boxes. If you have four HD boxes they will replace all four of them.

That's the reason I went and got another HD Tivo added to my collection (plus the price point of $199 for existing subs was awesome). Man, you never see E* actually reward their present subs in terms of equipment deals and upgrades. This is actually better than the new customer deals I've seen :eek:, and E* bitches the most about subscriber churn cutting in to their analyst report. Maybe they could take a clue from D* this year (talk about getting schooled) :yes .

timmac said:
Since you asked the question, what do I think, then I'm going to tell you what I think. I think they will not replace all 4 receivers. I think they will replace 2 of your receivers at most. You might be asking yourself right now, why, why does this person think that they will only replace 2 and not all 4 of my precious, glorious high definition receivers. The answer is simple, my friend, you are a high definition hog. You are hoarding all the high definition receivers and you are sucking up all the bandwidth and you should not be allowed to do this! You have far too much money to spend on high definition sets and you have no idea where in your house you like to sit and watch tv. You need to slow down, big fella, take up another hobby. Walk your dog. Get out and feel the sunshine on your face, Mr. Rockefeller!

:D :D :D

You do know as an existing sub that you can get one (HD Tivo) now for only $199 (of which you can charge that to your bill even if you don't want to pay it up front) :D :D :D .

$1000 down the drain?

ocnier said:
You do know as an existing sub that you can get one (HD Tivo) now for only $199 (of which you can charge that to your bill even if you don't want to pay it up front) :D :D :D .

That would be a great deal if I wasn't so scared about this MPEG-4 thing... *sigh* Of course, it didn't help me in the last year when the HD Tivo was $1000 - yes, a thousand dollars. That's when I purchased.

Anyone know if this will be replaced with an MPEG-4 HD Tivo? Or, will the offer only include standard receivers without DVR?

Tait

There is no MPEG-4 HD DirecTiVo planned.

Also, seeing that the Spaceway 2 is again delayed, I think your $1000 investment can be saved from the drain for a bit longer. :)

Hong.

Replace all 4? I wouldn't if I were D*

This Home Media Center is designed for so-called HDTV hogs, wasn't it? It was my understanding that the one server was designed to concentrate all of the connections and then pass them out to the other client boxes. This is where DirecTV might be smart and save some money. It is less expensive for individuals to be able to pay for these client boxes (it's not the initial $1000 investment that an HDTivo represented. But it is much less expensive for DirecTV to put these in the hands of customers (1 server and 3 clients vs 4 servers).

I may have misunderstood their intent on the HMC. But if that isn't the way they're doing it, they missed the boat.

The main problem with HMC as known currently is the lack of HD clients in the foreseeable future. They should have just implemented TiVo's HMO...

Hong.

When and where did you see one with everything in a single housing? Do you know if it was actually a new dish for the Ka service?
Bob

LonghornXP said:
That doesn't look anything like the dish that I've seen. The one I've seen at least has all the LNBs in a single housing not seperate. Its like this guy just threw a couple extra LNBs on them to make it look like the new dish.

Aaah. If you actually saw the new dish and still claim it has everything in a single housing, you would know why I am asking. Not looking for anyone to reveal their sources, just trying to see if anyone has seen the real deal yet.
Bob.
LonghornXP said:
I have seen the new KA 5LNB dish but you should know better than to ask me where I saw it knowing I can't answer this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts