DirecTV Total Choice+ vs Choice Extra

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I was looking at the packages on their main page I noticed that Total Choice Plus (which is what I have) states only 185+ channels and Choice Extra states 210+ channels. I thought both packages offered exactly the same channels?

attachment.php

Attachments

• D Package Prices.png
    D Package Prices.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 5,026
It says Channel Counts May Vary, does it not?
The vary has only to do with the number of locals and RSNs between markets, not the package difference in the same market receiving the same locals.

Besides the difference is 25. Even if locals did vary between the two packages it will not be by 25.

Does anyone else know why they list such a big difference between the two packages when both offer exactly the same channels?

Srictly a guess on my part. That the channel count is based on some time in the past when the old package was phased out and has not been updated with channels that have been added to Plus package since then.

I did not know that TC+ ( my grandfathered package) was still on the website.

I had a while back looked at the channel list and found about 5-10 channels that you got with the Choice Extra, don't think there were any in it that I had any interest in.

Numbers could also be boosted by adding more music channels.

Srictly a guess on my part. That the channel count is based on some time in the past when the old package was phased out and has not been updated with channels that have been added to Plus package since then.
If you look at the list of channels when you click on the channel number link within each package, they list channels like ESPN not being available on Total Choice Plus. This channel was always part of this package

I did not know that TC+ ( my grandfathered package) was still on the website.

I had a while back looked at the channel list and found about 5-10 channels that you got with the Choice Extra, don't think there were any in it that I had any interest in.

Numbers could also be boosted by adding more music channels.
Music channels are the same. I have checked them out

I know this will do absolutely no good to mention, since it's been discussed to death umpteen times around here, but...

Right now, there is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NO DIFFERENCE between the TC+ & Choice Xtra prog packages, other than a $2.50 price difference - regardless of what any D* rep says.

Several of us have confirmed this in multiple posts - but again, I doubt it will matter to mention... :confused:

I know this will do absolutely no good to mention, since it's been discussed to death umpteen times around here, but...

Right now, there is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NO DIFFERENCE between the TC+ & Choice Xtra prog packages, other than a $2.50 price difference - regardless of what any D* rep says.

Several of us have confirmed this in multiple posts - but again, I doubt it will matter to mention... :confused:

Then why would anyone upgrade to the new package ....
I know they want to get rid of the grandfathered packages if they can, but if there's NO diffeence and it costs you MORE money :eek::confused::(:rolleyes:

Glad to have stumbled on this, as I was trying to figure out what Choice Extra offered over Total Choice Plus.

According to the Programming lists on the Directv web-site, there are a number of HD channels on Choice Extra that I thought I was going to have to upgrade for. But, I discovered, once I had HD access turned on that I'm getting channels in HD on Total Choice Plus that aren't designated as such in the programming list on the web-site. Great! I don't think I'll be upgrading! :)

Having an older package may be a good thing. I had the Total Choice + package, then I got a call from D*. It's on another post (Premier and Sunday Ticket for $3 more a month). You should keep TC+ and hope you get the call I got from D*. If you don't like football, just tell them you are satisfied with your current package and you don't want to change it. Drop the opperator a hint that you are a basketball or baseball fan and would be interested in League Pass or Extra Innings, which ever you like. Before the season starts, you may get a call from D*. And at the end of your up grade promo you will have to choose a newer package.

At the time they changed it and I stuck with the old one there were actually more channels in tc+ if I remember right at the time I would have lost the cbs college sports channel and espn classic and a few other things like that...seems like it amounted to paying 2 or three bucks a month for 5 less channels but now I really cant see a difference except the base price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)