DirecTV trying to charge me $99 to install 2nd HD-DVR (I've already got 1 HD-DVR).

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hate that the SWM can only support 8 tuners. I'd like to get a HD DVR for my bedroom to replace my H20. I need 9 tuners so I guess I need to upgrade my 6x8 Zinwell switch for the 6X16 model.

The SWM supports 8 SWM tuners and has three additional legacy ports, so you can squeeze up to 11 tuners out of the SWM. Additionally, you can use four ports off of the existing 6x8 to feed the SWM and have another 4 ports left from it. You could then run a total of 15 tuners from this setup (1 shy of the 6x16). Bottom line, go for the SWM8...

Scottie to operate properly as designed they do require two lines but if you want to have it operate half assed then you can go the single coax route.
Understood, and not arguing the point at all. Just pointing out that you don't have to have two lines. It is possible to operate with a single line with limitations.

Fortunately, the OP now got the installation for free, so doesn't care any more. :)

I got the SWM installed for free! I couldn't believe it....And it works beautifully....It wasn't easy though.....The original installer got in my attic, said he couldn't run another line.....He told me to then call DTV in 2 weeks to a month and ask for them to finish the install with SWM, that he didn't know much about it but that was the only way I could get the full benefit of these 2 HD DVR's.................about two to three weeks later, I called and got a complete run around, although everyone I spoke with was friendly, passed me to supervisors until finally they scheduled an installer to come out........He comes out prepared to run the additional cables...........see's it can't be done..............then tells me that SWM is the only option in my case, that they have them in their warehouse, he will call his boss, then call me back.............He sent me a voicemail telling me to call DTV and ask for an upgrade workorder with SWM technology and if they give any trouble to call back............I did just that.........The guy on the phone had zero clue what I was talking about......He three way called the local office, the operator at the local office, he and I were all on the phone and the local operator and Direct CSR were ready to put in the order for her to send someone out.....He said my acct had been sent to a case manager and he couldn't do anything............they would call me back in 4 hours.............They never did but at this point! I just was too tired to deal with it..........A week later, still no call....So I finally emailed Ellen explaining my situation.........got a call the next day, explaining to the nice gentleman everything............He explained that the SWM technology wasn't approved for my area, that he was sending an installation supervisor to evaluate my install..........That was scheduled.........2 men showed up......An installation supervisor and his assistant......They got in the attic.......thought they were going to be able to run the lines and decided they couldn't.........called someone else who showed up an hour later and the SWM was installed within 15 min's......For anyone who thinks this is complaining ..........I'm not.........Just sharing my experience.

Last edited:
I am also someone who has never ordered a PPV in his 44 years on this planet. I believe we are called "tight wads".

Tight wad, not at all.

I too NEVER order PPV. I do however spend lavishly on myself and have a giant collection of DVD/HD-DVD/bluray discs, CDs, have both cable and DirecTV's premier pak with two HD-DVRs... I just am not a PPV person. It has nothing to do with being a tight wad. I already have three DVRs nearly full of movies and shows (including a cable DVR) and there is nothing I have to see bad enough to order PPV. I either buy it on disc or wait for it to hit the premium channels. There is no in between with me. I am a collector, and have been known to see a movie for the first time on a premium channel and then run out and buy the disc. I am just not a PPV person. Having that said, I am annoyed that my favorite provider is running around saying they have 130+ channels of HD when they do not. 30 channels of PPV do not count as HD nationals. No way.

I personally bought the SWM LNB setup. I paid over $200 when I bought it on ebay a few months back. I highly reccomend going this route. I like only having 1 line into the home and only 1 line to each DVR. The only drawback I can see is 8 turner max but you can daisy chain the SWM8 from what I have read to add more tuners.

Tight wad, not at all.

I too NEVER order PPV. I do however spend lavishly on myself and have a giant collection of DVD/HD-DVD/bluray discs, CDs, have both cable and DirecTV's premier pak with two HD-DVRs... I just am not a PPV person. It has nothing to do with being a tight wad. I already have three DVRs nearly full of movies and shows (including a cable DVR) and there is nothing I have to see bad enough to order PPV. I either buy it on disc or wait for it to hit the premium channels. There is no in between with me. I am a collector, and have been known to see a movie for the first time on a premium channel and then run out and buy the disc. I am just not a PPV person. Having that said, I am annoyed that my favorite provider is running around saying they have 130+ channels of HD when they do not. 30 channels of PPV do not count as HD nationals. No way.
Wow.. you are like me. I have terrabytes full of movies in HD extracted from my old HR10-250 and collect bluray movies. I also have 2 new D* HDDVR's. I would rather save the money from 4 PPV's and buy one movie and own it forever. I too watch a movie in the theater or premium channel and then go buy it. PPV channels are worthless to me too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)