DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The problem with that is it takes 3-4 years to design/plan/launch a new Satellite, if that was to happen, it needs to be now and/or the immediate future, especially since it can take about a year for the Feds to approve the deal.

Also, it looks like the merger talks with Dish are going nowhere, TPG started talking with Dish in January because they wanted to make their investment back, nothing since, not even rumors, my guess is Charlie Ergen is going to wait it out so he can pick up DirecTV cheaply.

I knew they were done for and no chance to turn things around when John Donovan, then CEO of AT&T Communications, told analysts in a presentation on November 29, 2018 “We’ve launched our last satellite”.

Might as well hang a banner saying to the public Going out of Business, do not know how they expected Customers to come to DirecTV after that.
If you understand all that, why are you bashing anyone talking about it here.

The company started going down hill when ATT took over, that was Before that announcement .... However, as I said, IF the right person decided to revive it, it could be done.

Yes, it does take time to Build New Sats, however, they already have Sats up there that will be going well till at least 2030, so there IS TIME, IF someone decided to go that route ....

- Projecting DBS subscriber losses into the future is a fool’s errand. The market, more or less, was cable or DBS. Then came a third option and, more or less EVERYBODY who can be satisfied with just streaming has just streaming. They are not the “early adopters” of some soon to be universal trend. They are, rather, the only adopters. Everybody else is fine with linear TV. Thanks.
You do realize that streaming has just taking over in viewers vs Live TV service.

The leading streaming services drew more viewers than cable TV for the first time in July, according to a report released Thursday by the media firm Nielsen.

It's a milestone that has been anticipated by media analysts for years as consumers have been cutting the cord in droves and moving to internet-powered services.

Streaming represented a record-breaking 34.8% share of total television consumption in the U.S. last month, exceeding cable (34.4%) and broadcast (21.6%), according to The Gauge, Nielsen's monthly overview of viewership trends.

- Understand that Canada, with 1/10th the potential customers, has 2 robust DBS companies making profits. DBS is also big in countries where most people make about a dime for every 10 bucks you do. But somehow it heading over a cliff in the USA?
They both own other services, hence why they are doing well, for example-

Rogers Communications ( Shaw)-Shaw Communications has 2.1 million broadband internet subscribers, 1.9 million wireless subscribers, 1.4 million cable video subscribers, 1.0 million home phone customers, and 656k satellite video subscribers.

Bell Sat TV only has about a million and lost 50,000 in 2021, while IPTV gained 46,000

- If you buy the idea (I do not) that DBS has “launched its last satellite” and understand that they have ten of thousands of boxes, dishes, etc on hand, exactly when does that “unprofitability” kick in? They buy TV channels for $X and sell it for $X + profit. Their only unspent cost is a few kw of electricity and some third world CSRs.
And those that work in the Uplink Centers for one example.
- It was announced that this was to be announced at the previous Super Bowl, it rather seems that either the NFL is looking for the last cent, or A or A are getting cold feet.
No it was not, Juan made the same false statement, Rogar Goodell said in the CNBC interview that this will be announced in the fall.
- On the commercial side, DirecTV is going to be a (the?) reseller. The service MUST be predicated, and, leaving out the massive internet issues, there really is nothing much either has that a business would want.
Since Businesses are not ready, I agree, but the time is coming when they will need to upgrade.

If you understand all that, why are you bashing anyone talking about it here.
Show me one post where I bashed someone.

I'll bet those are almost if not entirely automated at this point. Even the main broadcast centers likely have a lot fewer people than they used as jobs like monitoring for video quality (they used to have a huge bank of screens showing every channel) have been automated.

The fixed cost should much less with no new satellite build/launch and no major new hardware design/qualification. You can't eliminate all overhead, but a lot of it scales with customer base. i.e. if you have fewer customers you need fewer CSRs and fewer installers.

You do realize that streaming has just taking over in viewers vs Live TV service.

The leading streaming services drew more viewers than cable TV for the first time in July, according to a report released Thursday by the media firm Nielsen.

It's a milestone that has been anticipated by media analysts for years as consumers have been cutting the cord in droves and moving to internet-powered services.

Streaming represented a record-breaking 34.8% share of total television consumption in the U.S. last month, exceeding cable (34.4%) and broadcast (21.6%), according to The Gauge, Nielsen's monthly overview of viewership trends.

They both own other services, hence why they are doing well, for example-

Rogers Communications ( Shaw)-Shaw Communications has 2.1 million broadband internet subscribers, 1.9 million wireless subscribers, 1.4 million cable video subscribers, 1.0 million home phone customers, and 656k satellite video subscribers.

Bell Sat TV only has about a million and lost 50,000 in 2021, while IPTV gained 46,000

No it was not, Juan made the same false statement, Rogar Goodell said in the CNBC interview that this will be announced in the fall.

Since Businesses are not ready, I agree, but the time is coming when they will need to upgrade.
Here ya go sunshine

• Haha
Reactions: SamCdbs
Where does it say it was supposed to be announced by the Super Bowl in that article, all it says is there is no deal yet( at the time of that Super Bowl).

Keep Trying.
The NFL never said that it was supposed to be announced in the fall only that they hope too

So yes you can keep trying

Thats an opinion...keep digging for what he actually said
Watch the video, “I think we will have the decision by Fall”.

That is a whole lot more then what you claimed by being announced by the Super Bowl.

Then WHY would that do it ?

You think D* being included for Bars is being done out of the KINDNESS of their heart ?

Has the deal between Amazon and DirecTV for Thursday night games been consummated? The article said a deal was imminent, not done.

Watch the video, “I think we will have the decision by Fall”.

That is a whole lot more then what you claimed by being announced by the Super Bowl.
Thats ok..thats how interpreted should..the interview didn't really say much..j

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Has the deal between Amazon and DirecTV for Thursday night games been consummated? The article said a deal was imminent, not done.
Last said to be close, that was 3 weeks ago, nothing since.

Status
Please reply by conversation.