DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Technology advanced and DBS came. The whole concept was designed for rural America. All of its business planing was based on selling to rural America. But something interesting happened. It was so much better than cable that it became the fastest growing consumer technology product in history. Suburban and even urban dwellers dumped cable for the superiority of DBS. For cable it was “death from above”. And so very deserved.
The majority of Live TV subscribers still had cable vs DBS, total sub numbers were 110 million before the decline, Dish had at it’s highest 14 million, DirecTV 22 million, so that leaves 74 million still on Cable.
Then came streaming which, for a while, allowed non-sports fans to avoid paying for the sports they don’t want. This appears to be ending. And everyone that wants to be streaming only, already is.
You keep posting that, but yet 2 million are still leaving Live TV every quarter to go streaming ( and/or OTA) and before you say they are going to Hulu Live, YTTV and the likes, the total number of Live TV subs includes OTT services, so in 2021-72.9 million, 2022-68.5 million.

And you know this because Nash responded to you at DBSTALK with the same info.

So where are they going then, to streaming services like Netflix and the likes.

The point? Actually two. The DBS business model works even if it is just a product for rural America. Yes, it was, and remains, a great thing to dominate the market, but it still works out financially just as originally planed, in rural America. And cable, and thus the internet, in rural, and a lot of suburban, America is still garbage.
The vast majority of the United States get a form of Broadband, in the last 5 years it had increased from 80 to 85%, rural is getting better, as I posted before, I live in a rural area and they only had received Broadband access here (Charter) right before I bought the house, before that it was Century Link with 3 down/1 up.

It is what cable is all about. What is the absolute least service we can provide and still get paid for? It is what it is culturally going to do.
I get great Broadband from Cable, both from Charter here in Florida and Comcast in Michigan before we moved.

Cable TV is another story, but I feel the same about any Live TV Providers, paying a lot of money every month for a bunch of reruns and fewer new shows then ever vs paying half as much for streaming services for a bunch of new shows and the majority of programming on Traditional Providers, now with more sports then ever and that will increase.
Thus, because no one else wants to, or even can, do the job of delivering entertainment to the millions and millions of Americans without access to that level of internet (and the millions more that simply have no use for it) DBS will continue for many decades. Adding in the total inability of streaming to serve the commercial side of things, and the customer base remains viable.
Well, you better start building new satellites then because they will fail.

Show me one link where either company is even designing a new satellite, you will not find one, when DBS companies are losing 1-2 million a year ( and increasing), they know their companies are dying a slow death, why spend another $300-400 million on a new Satellite then.
No matter what the ex owners of one of the two systems said.
AT&T still owns them, 70% if I remember correctly.

Since when did "what the people want" enter the calculus of these billion dollar deals? Do I want 15 minutes of action on the football field saturated with endless breaks for commercials? No, but that doesn't stop the grossly overbidding for NFL rights requiring these commercials.
It enters into the calculus of who wins the deal...thats why amazon cut a deal with directv to serve bars and restaraunts Thursday night football

DBS will be around when we are all gone. The math is simple. Unless you look for clickbait links that predict flying cars and hyper loops.

Anybody who thinks, short of massive government spending on the very people the government has contempt for, internet can be provided to rural America needs to stop flying and drive across any of those flat square states. Or Appalachia. Or the Ozarks. Or Maine. Or northern Michigan, for that matter.

DBS will be around when we are all gone. The math is simple. Unless you look for clickbait links that predict flying cars and hyper loops.

Anybody who thinks, short of massive government spending on the very people the government has contempt for, internet can be provided to rural America needs to stop flying and drive across any of those flat square states. Or Appalachia. Or the Ozarks. Or Maine. Or northern Michigan, for that matter.
DBS from a Internet perspective sure.. But from TV No.. Dish/Direct have maybe 10-15 years Max on there fleets unless something catastrophic happens sooner Neither is launching anything

DBS from a Internet perspective sure.. But from TV No.. Dish/Direct have maybe 10-15 years Max on there fleets unless something catastrophic happens sooner Neither is launching anything
Internet satellites can do DBS

I agree.

This thread has been all over the place. The anti-streaming people sound exactly like the anti-satellite people did 20+ years ago.

I don't really care who or where it goes.

When it is off Directv I will drop them*. It is certainly not a "luxury" product to me.

*Unless who ever wins the contract sells use back to Directv for residential customers.(I do highly doubt this, though)
Yeah I hear ya, doesn't matter who gets it, I'll be getting it.

I won't be dropping my DIRECTV, just because I like the service, plus no streaming service carries YES Network, and being in NY it's a must for my Sister who is a Yanks fan, I am too, but she's a huge Yanks fan.

And that is why Star Link is a option, for those types of areas.

Yeah I hear ya, doesn't matter who gets it, I'll be getting it.

I won't be dropping my DIRECTV, just because I like the service, plus no streaming service carries YES Network, and being in NY it's a must for my Sister who is a Yanks fan, I am too, but she's a huge Yanks fan.
Directv Stream Carries Yes

Reactions: raoul5788
In plain English..I said you can re deploy internet satellites as tv satellites..they already did it

Citation needed. The only sats I'm aware of designed or used for internet in the DirecTV fleet were the Spaceway 1 and 2, one of which has failed and the other is just a backup. These were designed for both broadband and video delivery, not converted one way or the other.

DirecTV does not offer an internet service, has not announced any plans to that I've seen, and has no plans to launch further satellites.

So appears to be yet another Juan rabbit hole.

Reactions: comp9
Citation needed. The only sats I'm aware of designed or used for internet in the DirecTV fleet were the Spaceway 1 and 2, one of which has failed and the other is just a backup. These were designed for both broadband and video delivery, not converted one way or the other.

DirecTV does not offer an internet service, has not announced any plans to that I've seen, and has no plans to launch further satellites.

So appears to be yet another Juan rabbit hole.
A satellite transponder is basically a mirror...thats why there is no such thing as a sd or hd satellite..

And you talk about it like it is reasonably priced! Yes if you can afford it...
Well, since those in rural area Sam described would properly have Hughes, which is $159.99 a month for 100 GB of data,

Plus, they can switch to a less expensive TV Provider or just to the streaming services, no longer would have to pay the high prices of DirecTV ( I read the average monthly cost is now over $120 a month).

So, DirecTV at $120 a month, icky internet at $159.99, so $3359.88 for the year, plus set up.

Or StarLink at $110 a month, YTTV at $65, so $2100 a year, plus set up, which is $500 , so even with set up, it is $759.99 less expensive, plus no data caps.

Reactions: tanman and comp9
About? What have I posted that you don't understand? You're the one stating facts (again) that are wrong.
You are now in his rabbit hole.

Status
Please reply by conversation.