DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And the ratings from last Thursday are in. 9.7M between Amazon and the OTA stations in the teams’ markets. DOWN a whopping 34% from what Fox got last year, this being the first week that games were shown on Fox, not just the NFL Network under the old system.

Compounding this was the fact that, due to the baseball strike/lockout/whatever the MLB season was extended, meaning last year’s game went up during playoff baseball, and ESPN had a college game, neither being true this year.

You can blame the game, which was crappy (like most TNF) but then again it went down to the wire into OT.

I thought Amazon would get 90% of what Fox was getting, and it may improve with some better games, but getting 64% of what Fox was getting is totally disappointing for all involved. The number of people who simply cannot get, or do not want, HD quality internet service clearly has been underestimated.

As to ST, remember these figures are for Amazon, a service a lot of people have just for the shipping. Imagine what Apple would do.

• Love
Reactions: Juan
And the ratings from last Thursday are in. 9.7M between Amazon and the OTA stations in the teams’ markets. DOWN a whopping 34% from what Fox got last year, this being the first week that games were shown on Fox, not just the NFL Network under the old system.

Compounding this was the fact that, due to the baseball strike/lockout/whatever the MLB season was extended, meaning last year’s game went up during playoff baseball, and ESPN had a college game, neither being true this year.

You can blame the game, which was crappy (like most TNF) but then again it went down to the wire into OT.

I thought Amazon would get 90% of what Fox was getting, and it may improve with some better games, but getting 64% of what Fox was getting is totally disappointing for all involved. The number of people who simply cannot get, or do not want, HD quality internet service clearly has been underestimated.

As to ST, remember these figures are for Amazon, a service a lot of people have just for the shipping. Imagine what Apple would do.
Apples oranges here?

TNF
OTA availability -> Online streaming service

ST
Directv only -> Online streaming service

TNF contracted availability, ST would be opening up availability.

Umm, no. DirecTV, available to virtually 100% of the population.

Streaming, not.

What we see in the TNF rating is that Fox established a baseline of how many people want to watch TNF, and then how many cannot or will not with Amazon. 34% so far. That will probably go up, but still.

Likewise we KNOW how many people want ST. I would say the number that have it, but certainly one must understand that how many had it before streaming became a “thing”. About 2M.

It is a niche product. But a 34% turn down rate between streaming and linear? Wow.

• Haha
Reactions: comp9 and meStevo

Streaming, not.

What we see in the TNF rating is that Fox established a baseline of how many people want to watch TNF, and then how many cannot or will not with Amazon. 34% so far. That will probably go up, but still.

Likewise we KNOW how many people want ST. I would say the number that have it, but certainly one must understand that how many had it before streaming became a “thing”. About 2M.

It is a niche product. But a 34% turn down rate between streaming and linear? Wow.
Not everyone has DTV only 10 million people. How many households have Amazon Prime.

Streaming, not.
Downtown cities... not so much SatTV capable. Sat is a lot more available in areas where streaming is not. Streaming is available generally where people live.

Also, the price point to just be able to subscribe to ST via Directv is huge! Where as not so much with streaming. I'm not certain why you hate streaming so much, other than your own geographic issues, but something becoming available via streaming opens it up to a lot of people, because again, streaming tech is available where people actually live.
Comparing OTA with streaming is silly. Streaming will likely have fewer people than OTA because OTA is available to so many people (and it was free). ST will be the opposite as the price entry for access is going to be notably smaller than it was.

Sample size of 1, and first game exclusive on Prime which no doubt caught some fans who don't have Prime or don't know how / don't have the means to access Prime Video on their TV (and don't want to watch sports on their computer)

I think a better reading would be had by looking at say November & December games, average those out and compare them with last year's games over the same time frame. I'd skip October because it might take a few weeks for some less technically inclined people to seek help in getting set up, order a streaming stick etc. even if they already have Prime.

Sample size of 1, and first game exclusive on Prime which no doubt caught some fans who don't have Prime or don't know how / don't have the means to access Prime Video on their TV (and don't want to watch sports on their computer)

I think a better reading would be had by looking at say November & December games, average those out and compare them with last year's games over the same time frame.
The potential audience is smaller than it was on FOX

EVERYONE can have DirecTV. Some people just want to save a few pennies. That’l show ‘em.
Listen how you want to spend everyone else’s money, yet you wrote that you only pay $65 for DirecTV because part of it is covered by your rent.

If it cost $65 a month for everyone, doubt they would of lost 11 million subscribers in 7 years, might be out of business also.

The other point you keep ignoring is for the vast majority of the population here in the United States, they do not want DirecTV, they do not want to spend a average of $120 a month for a bunch of reruns and now, very little new content.

If you just have the streaming services, no paid live TV, you get tons more new content, more then you would get from Broadcast/Cable Channels, plus you get all the new content from Broadcast/Cable Channels and now a bunch of sports for a price that is less then half what most people pay for DirecTV.

That is why people are leaving Traditional Providers.

I pay $65 a month for Live TV also ( YTTV) and I find it is not worth it, I watch very few channels, CNN, BTN when Michigan Football is on, CNBC, that is it.

Now I do watch Broadcast/Cable Shows, but I watch them on the Streaming Services for the much better quality-1080P/4K and Dolby Digital+ sound.

After Football Season is over, dropping Paid Live TV, just not worth it anymore.

Last edited:
The potential audience is smaller than it was on FOX
The NFL does not care, they get their 1 billion a year from Amazon, as long as the check clears, they are happy.

Also, read the demographics of the ratings, for the under 54 are range, the ratings are up, for the older folks, 55-over, ratings are down, so more younger people are watching.

They matches up with the age range of those who still have a Traditional Providers for TV.

The NFL does not care, they get their 1 billion a year from Amazon, as long as the check clears, they are happy.

Also, read the demographics of the ratings, for the under 54 are range, the ratings are up, for the older folks, 55-over, ratings are down, so more younger people are watching.

They matches up with the age range of those who still have a Traditional Providers for TV.
Advertisers do...amazon does ( cut deal with directv)... fewer viewers is step backwards for the NFL

Reactions: SamCdbs
Status
Please reply by conversation.