DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've been seeing rumors AOL is in talks with the NFL. They are offering the NFL up to 56k stream rates for the games, so people won't need fancy high speed internet to watch Sunday Ticket. :D

I've been seeing rumors AOL is in talks with the NFL. They are offering the NFL up to 56k stream rates for the games, so people won't need fancy high speed internet to watch Sunday Ticket. :D
Are they going to include the AOL disc with it?

• Haha
Reactions: Yespage
On June 23, 2015, AOL was acquired by Verizon Communications for $4.4 billion. On May 3, 2021, Verizon announced it would sell Yahoo and AOL to private equity firm Apollo Global Management for $5 billion.

Selling Sunday Ticket to a private equity firm..sounds like a plan

Here's a test they ran. Pretty impressive for that speed I'd say....

maxresdefault.jpg

Makes sense. If you're going to spend big bucks to land NFL games, IMO, it's better to be the exclusive source of the only NFL game being played at the time and which is available for national viewing (e.g. TNF or a playoff game) versus Sunday Ticket, which is simply passing on other networks' feeds of a bunch of out-of-market games all happening concurrently. In other words, go with one BIG game appealing to the masses versus lots of little ones appealing to NFL geeks. My guess is that total collective viewership of the former will always be more than the latter, and also has superior marketing/branding value for Amazon Prime Video than ST would (where the games have the CBS and Fox logos all over them).

Makes sense. If you're going to spend big bucks to land NFL games, IMO, it's better to be the exclusive source of the only NFL game being played at the time and which is available for national viewing (e.g. TNF or a playoff game) versus Sunday Ticket, which is simply passing on other networks' feeds of a bunch of out-of-market games all happening concurrently. In other words, go with one BIG game appealing to the masses versus lots of little ones appealing to NFL geeks. My guess is that total collective viewership of the former will always be more than the latter, and also has superior marketing/branding value for Amazon Prime Video than ST would (where the games have the CBS and Fox logos all over them).
Lets wait and see how low TNF ratings go...

Reactions: SamCdbs
When you lead with “strong TNF numbers” you are at Baghdad Bob level credibility. If these are “strong” numbers, exactly what would be “weak” ?

The playoffs don’t even belong on ESPN, let alone behind an internet paywall.

When you lead with “strong TNF numbers” you are at Baghdad Bob level credibility. If these are “strong” numbers, exactly what would be “weak” ?

The playoffs don’t even belong on ESPN, let alone behind an internet paywall.

Amazon TNF numbers rival recent World Series ratings on FOX/OTA. I’d call that “strong numbers”.

Reactions: Hart5150
Status
Please reply by conversation.