DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They should just let CBS put extra games on the Paramount ap and Fox put extra games on the Fox ap..between the 2 networks they spent 40 billion in broadcast rights...Amazon is losing money on TNF...I can't see them needing to add Prime subs...but google might get it

Before everyone gets too excited about the reporting of Apple out, neither the NFL or Apple has confirmed it. Then, there's this about the source of the reporting:

In addition, it was The Puck that reported last April that one source said Apple had already secured the Ticket deal but wanted to keep that confidential until it could announce it at a later date. The publication also wrote then that another source told it that Apple was ‘in the driver’s seat’ to get the Ticket rights.

NFL Sunday Ticket: Did Apple Drop Out Of the Bidding? - The TV Answer Man!

Good, always have written here that Amazon is a better fit.

Now if Amazon increases the Prime fee $50 more, include ST, that is $3.5 Billion ( based on 70 Million Household Prime members).

That does two things, NFL gets their money and access to a lot more fans, which helps grow the NFL.
Except, of course, it doesn't work that way. The contracts with CBS and Fox require ST to be sold at a "premium price", generally understood to be $300 for a home account.. They cannot just include it in Prime and raise the price $50. This exact fact is why Apple left.

I get that you are desperate for this money losing package to some how make money. Now thinking that about 50M more households that do not even watch the free games won't mind paying for it. But as the end game plays out, it seems that everyone at every sports media journalism outlet was right. It won't make money.

So, two possibilities. Either Amazon, flush with cash, tosses it up for about $300, hoping to recoup some of the loss by driving Prime subscriptions, but really who is left to get, with Prime as the predicate, which is the less consumer unfriendly outcome. Or YTTV tosses it up with the awful YTTV as the predicate, trying to drive liner TV growth, which is not.

Except, of course, it doesn't work that way. The contracts with CBS and Fox require ST to be sold at a "premium price", generally understood to be $300 for a home account.. They cannot just include it in Prime and raise the price $50. This exact fact is why Apple left.

I get that you are desperate for this money losing package to some how make money. Now thinking that about 50M more households that do not even watch the free games won't mind paying for it. But as the end game plays out, it seems that everyone at every sports media journalism outlet was right. It won't make money.

So, two possibilities. Either Amazon, flush with cash, tosses it up for about $300, hoping to recoup some of the loss by driving Prime subscriptions, but really who is left to get, with Prime as the predicate, which is the less consumer unfriendly outcome. Or YTTV tosses it up with the awful YTTV as the predicate, trying to drive liner TV growth, which is not.
Does CBS and Fox get a cut of that $300 fee?

Except DirecTV was allowed to give it away with a subscription, including this season where they were giving it away to anyone who asked for it.

Even sent a email out giving it away.
I do not care if it makes money or not, I just want it available outside of the high price of DirecTV, if it is $300, I will pay it.

And at $300, it does not need 50 Million subscribers to make money or break even, if the cost is $2 Billion, they need about 7 million.
Actually if it goes to YTTV, cost to me would be $0 since I can get Google Play Gift Cards with my CC points.

I just think it would be an idiotic thing to do, we are moving away from the Live TV bundles, proven by the over 40 million that have left Traditional Providers and continuing to leave.

DirecTV has proven it no longer works anymore.

Except DirecTV was allowed to give it away with a subscription, including this season where they were giving it away to anyone who asked for it.

Even sent a email out giving it away.

I do not care if it makes money or not, I just want it available outside of the high price of DirecTV, if it is $300, I will pay it.

And at $300, it does not need 50 Million subscribers to make money or break even, if the cost is $2 Billion, they need about 7 million.

Actually if it goes to YTTV, cost to me would be $0 since I can get Google Play Gift Cards with my CC points.

I just think it would be an idiotic thing to do, we are moving away from the Live TV bundles, proven by the over 40 million that have left Traditional Providers and continuing to leave.

DirecTV has proven it no longer works anymore.
So you are going to destroy a 40 billion broadcast contract by allowing cheap streaming of NFL games?...I don't think so

So you are going to destroy a 40 billion broadcast contract by allowing cheap streaming of NFL games?...I don't think so
The price for Sunday Ticket ( if it is $3 Billion a year) is more the what CBS and Fox are paying each-

CBS

Viacom/CBS gets a new multi-platform deal. CBS will continue to be the primary home for AFC games on Sunday afternoons, which will now be streamed on new subscription service Paramount Plus as well as air on CBS Television. Under the $2.1 billion-per-season deal, CBS is locking down 78 consecutive years as an NFL TV partner. It will get to air three Super Bowls during the contract, in 2023, 2027 and 2031.

Fox

Just like CBS sticking with AFC on Sunday afternoons, Fox continues its hold on the NFC, which it has had since 1994. As part of the new $2.2 billion annual investement, it expanded its digital rights with more NFL programming to be disributed by Tubi. Fox will get the Super Bowls of 2024, 2028 and 2032.

The benefit for CBS and Fox is they get playoffs and the Super Bowl, Amazon/Google will not.

The price for Sunday Ticket ( if it is $3 Billion a year) is more the what CBS and Fox are paying each-

CBS

Viacom/CBS gets a new multi-platform deal. CBS will continue to be the primary home for AFC games on Sunday afternoons, which will now be streamed on new subscription service Paramount Plus as well as air on CBS Television. Under the $2.1 billion-per-season deal, CBS is locking down 78 consecutive years as an NFL TV partner. It will get to air three Super Bowls during the contract, in 2023, 2027 and 2031.

Fox

Just like CBS sticking with AFC on Sunday afternoons, Fox continues its hold on the NFC, which it has had since 1994. As part of the new $2.2 billion annual investement, it expanded its digital rights with more NFL programming to be disributed by Tubi. Fox will get the Super Bowls of 2024, 2028 and 2032.

The benefit for CBS and Fox is they get playoffs and the Super Bowl, Amazon/Google will not.

No...no...no...they want both..you need to add Fox and Cbs together then compare to sunday ticket

No...no...no...they want both..you need to add Fox and Cbs together then compare to sunday ticket
I know that, while CBS and Fox will pay more combined, they get playoffs and 3 Super Bowls each and the revenue from Ads for them, Amazon only will get the regular season games.

I know that, while CBS and Fox will pay more combined, they get playoffs and 3 Super Bowls each and the revenue from Ads for them, Amazon only will get the regular season games.
And thats why the NFL wont allow cheap sunday ticket...The broadcasters pay alot more when you add in disney and NBC...they can set the rules because they provide the most revenue..10 years from now might be different

And thats why the NFL wont allow cheap sunday ticket...The broadcasters pay alot more when you add in disney and NBC...they can set the rules because they provide the most revenue..10 years from now might be different
So why should any streamer pay top dollar for it if they won’t get the revenue back. Seems the NFL will have nobody to take it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.