DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Right...but you will be hardpressed to find one that does not have Apple TV+. Again, what is so hard to understand about this?
People told me about this the week that Apple was brought up to be a possible destination, I looked into it and found what I needed to know ... and moved on.

Why do YOU keep bringing it up ?

Fwiw, when it was first brought up, quite awhile ago, the TV I had at the time, would NOT load Apple TV, my newer TV does ... still sucks for the TVs that won't, but thats a Streaming issue.

Does CBS and Fox get a cut of that $300 fee?
No. CBS and Fox, and more so their independent affiliates, are concerned about too many people watching ST and not the local game. Thus the absolute requirement that it be sold for a "premium price". It is a luxury good aimed at a luxury audience.

This is why Apple has left. Apple came in with a lot of good ideas. Unfortunately, these contradicted what had already been sold to Fox and CBS. They should keep them in mind, when the rights are again sold, in the next decade.

The question now is really how much is Amazon willing to lose on ST, or is the NFL so greedy and tone deaf that it will make a deal with YT, which is like trying to sell fine china at the Dollar General.

No. CBS and Fox, and more so their independent affiliates, are concerned about too many people watching ST and not the local game. Thus the absolute requirement that it be sold for a "premium price". It is a luxury good aimed at a luxury audience.

This is why Apple has left. Apple came in with a lot of good ideas. Unfortunately, these contradicted what had already been sold to Fox and CBS. They should keep them in mind, when the rights are again sold, in the next decade.

The question now is really how much is Amazon willing to lose on ST, or is the NFL so greedy and tone deaf that it will make a deal with YT, which is like trying to sell fine china at the Dollar General.
When the NFL started ST they didn't have the internet or more options to watch extra games. They are stuck now.

And it was $79 for the whole season.
But years before that all games were in the clear. CBS had on sat and was that NBC had them on another? Was a long time ago. I put up the BUD for endless hockey games

But years before that all games were in the clear. CBS had on sat and was that NBC had them on another? Was a long time ago. I put up the BUD for endless hockey games
Yes, but you couldn't ever watch All the NFL games until the Ticket came about.

Yes, but you couldn't ever watch All the NFL games until the Ticket came about.
I remember getting every game...Was a pain if happened to be on another satellite because it had to move. HBO was in the clear, Playboy. NBC started putting some stuff ok KU and got that also.

Right ... I had plenty of back haul feeds ...
However, by the time you found ALL the games on thie different Sats and Transponders, the games were OVER ...

Right ... I had plenty of back haul feeds ...
However, by the time you found ALL the games on thie different Sats and Transponders, the games were OVER ...
Really? I recall their locations were typically on T2 or T3 (?), and it took all of a minute to scan the channels. Loved being able to watch sport events with commercials... sometimes even without announcers. I was a lucky kid.

Reactions: AZ.
John Ourand , who is right about 75% of the time, in Sports Business Journal says that Amazon will get ST. He also makes the following other predictions:

- Disney and Turner will let the exclusive period for a deal with the NBA expire.
- NASCAR renews with Fox and NBC, with more races on Peacock.
- Fox gets a share of the (unnecessary IMHO) expanded college football playoffs, in a short term deal until the whole package is again up for the 27 season.
- Amazon will get the Pac 12 rights and then sub license some games to CBS.
- Apple will make a deal with something called the National Women’s Soccer League.
- ESPN renews the UFC.
- The outlaw Saudi backed LIV golf tour will make a time buy to get its tournaments on the CW network.
- Netflix remains out of the sports business.
- DirecTV renews the Bally’s channels.
- Tom Brady plays football or is put in a lesser Fox broadcast team, the current #1 team reamains.

Comments:

Amazon is the better partner for ST, and it will be predicated, of course. DirecTV will, as with TNF, made a side deal for the commercial rights.

Don’t care about the NBA.

Amazon getting the Pac 12 is pretty sad. I have Prime anyway, but to pay for a football conference of no real relevance nationally is part of the creep towards re bundling that streaming is heading to.

The NWSL is truly sad news. Bundling in a soccer league that almost no one watches? Gross.

The big ones, and I agree with JO, are that Netflix stays out of sports, and it is smart to do so, and DirecTV remains the go to for sports lovers and sports bars, with the Ballys channels (and ST).

Really? I recall their locations were typically on T2 or T3 (?), and it took all of a minute to scan the channels. Loved being able to watch sport events with commercials... sometimes even without announcers. I was a lucky kid.
I preferred the back hauls that didn't have commercials ...
I mhad the C-Band,, but never did get the Ku band ...

I didn't have access to magazines and papers to learn where the particular channels were.

I had a package with Atlantic Networks (NY, Raleigh and Miami I think it was) and Denver Networks most of the time.

Other than the article I posted earlier from PFT about Apple being out of the ST talk now ... HGas anyone seen it reported any where else ? Is this a Done deal ?

I would have thought that it would have been reported all over the place, not just 1 outlet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.