DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That would be my least favorable option, depending on how it’s priced.

That said I already pay for yttv during that time period so I’d likely get it if they did go that route.

A lot cheaper than getting it via Directv which is a non starter for me.

Reactions: satjay
Little more news, explains why they close Google-$$$.

Google has discussed paying about $2.5 billion a year to the league, $1 billion more than DirecTV, which had the rights for years, according to two of the people, who would speak only anonymously to discuss confidential negotiations.

The league could receive additional payments based on the number of YouTube subscribers that Google is able to add, as well as other performance benchmarks, the people said. The length of the contract is unclear.

They might be right, but not good news-

If this is true, this proves everything I have said, the NFL does not care about pushing it out to the most fans, that is what Amazon could of provided with 70 Million Households that subscribe to Prime, not a service like YTTV with only 5 Million Households.

The NFL only cares about the check they get.

edit-
better link if you do not subscribe to WSJ-

YouTube TV does not have many RSNs so that is an big trun off for some unless the RSN sell direct. But for commercial forget about it. and for the sports books that show all games?

Reactions: SamCdbs and AZ.
YouTube TV does not have many RSNs so that is an big trun off for some unless the RSN sell direct. But for commercial forget about it. and for the sports books that show all games?
I think we need to wait for the details. If they're going to require a subscription to YTTV or Primetime Channels, that's going to be a turn-off and while it won't be as bad as the requirement to get a Directv subscription it can still add to the cost (which we still don't know).

So, let's take a breath and see what happens.

Looks like the deal might be done-

Google will pay $2.5B per year for the rights to the package, plus “additional payments based on the number of YouTube subscribers that Google is able to add,”

YouTube will stream the package via YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels. Sources said that “Sunday Ticket” will be offered as a premium service to those subscribers at a cost that is similar to what DirecTV currently charges.

So free since DirecTV was giving it away this season.:p

If these reports are accurate, I would expect that ST would be stand-alone through Primetime Channels.
That is why I thought Amazon was a better fit, everyone knows they sell subscriptions to Streaming Video services thru Prime, I had no idea about YouTube Primetime Channel and I had YTTV.

You mean its going to be PREDICATED on first buying something else?

They are going to use it as a loss leader, and force you to buy either YTTV or YT Primetime Channels?

They are not going to sell it to the eleventy billion zillion people out there that left real TV to save money, but really want a ST product they could have had all these years?

Anyway, this is awful news for the consumer. You either have to buy the grossly inferior YTTV service, which is a non-starter for any sports fan or anyone really, with its inferior channel line up; and of course, is LINEAR TV, so the “cord cutters” don’t want that, or some number of its “primetime channels” which are just these off-brand streaming services like Sundance Now, VIX, ConTV, and Gaia. Never heard of most of them, and rest assured, they will make you buy several to get access to ST.

For the commercial side, absolute failure by the NFL. Streaming cannot handle the commercial side, and probably never will. Amazon does not consider itself a competitor to DirecTV and serves the commercial side via it. YTTV is a direct competitor and thus many businesses simply will no longer have ST. And for those that do, good luck selling commercial accounts. There are not enough spies in the universe.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo

They are going to use it as a loss leader, and force you to buy either YTTV or YT Primetime Channels?

They are not going to sell it to the eleventy billion zillion people out there that left real TV to save money, but really want a ST product they could have had all these years?

Anyway, this is awful news for the consumer. You either have to buy the grossly inferior YTTV service, which is a non-starter for any sports fan or anyone really, with its inferior channel line up; and of course, is LINEAR TV, so the “cord cutters” don’t want that, or some number of its “primetime channels” which are just these off-brand streaming services like Sundance Now, VIX, ConTV, and Gaia. Never heard of most of them, and rest assured, they will make you buy several to get access to ST.

For the commercial side, absolute failure by the NFL. Streaming cannot handle the commercial side, and probably never will. Amazon does not consider itself a competitor to DirecTV and serves the commercial side via it. YTTV is a direct competitor and thus many businesses simply will no longer have ST. And for those that do, good luck selling commercial accounts. There are not enough spies in the universe.
Primetime Channels are all stand-alone services. There is no prerequisite that I can see to buy anything except the services you want. Get more of your favorite content on YouTube with Primetime Channels

Reactions: AZ.
You mean it’s going to be PREDICATED on first buying something else?
Do not know yet, could be offered as a discount to subs of YTTV.

No matter what, still going to be a lot cheaper then subbing to DirecTV, except for those that share a account with a Landlord.
There is no charge for Prime Time, except for the individual streaming services.
At a extremely high price and your definition of Real TV is different then others.
Anyway, this is awful news for the consumer. You either have to buy the grossly inferior YTTV service, which is a non-starter for any sports fan or anyone really, with its inferior channel line up; and of course, is LINEAR TV
Not inferior, glad I did not have to pay for a RSN I would never watch, or that extra fee.

And the picture is better with YTTV at 1080P and the sound DD+, DirecTV did not have that.
so the “cord cutters” don’t want that, or some number of its “primetime channels” which are just these off-brand streaming services like Sundance Now, VIX, ConTV, and Gaia. Never heard of most of them, and rest assured, they will make you buy several to get access to ST.
……and Showtime, Starz, Epix, Paramount+, etc…….have you heard of those?

And no evidence they will make you buy them with ST.
And I have been writing that sooner or later Businesses need to upgrade their Broadband, for those who can, should do it now, Satellite TV has 5-7 years left at the most, time marches on, things evolve.

But that LINEAR TV.
No matter what, still going to be a lot cheaper then subbing to DirecTV..

And, if I were out to save money, that would be fine. I’m not. I could forgo a lot of things and sit about and count my savings. Life is too short. Of course, YTTV is cheap.

You can say what you want about DirecTV’s ST era, ST was bundled with exactly the service the luxury ST audience wanted, The best service with the most channels. Not some, “I don’t miss it that much, I saved …” substitute.
There is no charge for Prime Time, except for the individual streaming services.
Yet. It will be predicated. They are not going to just sell it a la carte. Rather they are doing exactly what DirecTV has always done. Drive sales of the regular TV package, or a number (my guess is at least four) streamers as the predication for access.
At an extremely high price and your definition of Real TV is different than others.
Price is no object. Life is too short.
Not inferior, glad I did not have to pay for a RSN I would never watch, or that extra fee.
Millions disagree, which is why the RSN is the most important channel in any package and any package without it is a non-starter.
Those supplemental services I can buy direct without paying Google to be a middleman?
Yet. Just basic understanding of the business. How to read ratings, how TV finance works, stuff like that.
And I have been writing that sooner or later Businesses need to upgrade their Broadband, for those who can, should do it now, Satellite TV has 5-7 years left at the most, time marches on, things evolve.
To a system that can handle 14 HD (soon 4K) streams at once. That ain’t happening.

The NFL has gone for the $$ at the cost of its fans. Again.

Yet. It will be predicated. They are not going to just sell it a la carte. Rather they are doing exactly what DirecTV has always done. Drive sales of the regular TV package, or a number (my guess is at least four) streamers as the predication for access.
It will be predicated on WHAT? If it's available via Primetime Channels there is nothing required.

But that LINEAR TV.
So?

I have already posted many times I prefer Amazon won this contest, they did not, let’s see how this goes with pricing, no one knows yet.
And, if I were out to save money, that would be fine. I’m not. I could forgo a lot of things and sit about and count my savings. Life is too short. Of course, YTTV is cheap.
Can’t believe you wrote that, you have already posted that you only pay $65 a month because you share a account with your Landlord ( against DirecTV rules by the way), does that not mean you are saving money by doing so.

If you actually believed in what you just posted, you would call DirecTV right now, get your own account and pay Full Price.
You can say what you want about DirecTV’s ST era, ST was bundled with exactly the service the luxury ST audience wanted, The best service with the most channels. Not some, “I don’t miss it that much, I saved …” substitute.
Most Channels are nothing but reruns and content I would never watch, like that **** on Bravo, glad my money does not go to channels like that.
No evidence of that.
Price is no object. Life is too short.
Again, hypocritical on your part.
Millions disagree, which is why the RSN is the most important channel in any package and any package without it is a non-starter.
Yet the only Live TV services growing in subscribers are the ones without the RSNs.

DirecTV has the most sports channels of anyone, yet have lost the most subscribers, roughly 12 million.
Those supplemental services I can buy direct without paying Google to be a middleman?
And I do.
Yet. Just basic understanding of the business. How to read ratings, how TV finance works, stuff like that.
You can keep posting that, yet still, NFLST is still leaving.
To a system that can handle 14 HD (soon 4K) streams at once. That ain’t happening.
I could in my house, never will.

Businesses need to pony up the $$$, if ST is offered to them via Google, maybe it will be less expensive then DirecTV, that will help offset the higher Broadband costs.
The NFL has gone for the $$ at the cost of its fans. Again.
Well ‘duh.

It is how they always have done business.

How about putting some of that anger at DirecTV, they are the ones who decided not to bid on ST.

They could of done the same as Google, use it to grow Stream yet keep it on Satellite at the same time.

But they know DirecTV has a shelf life and will expire in the next 5-7 years.

This post is largely diving head first into the shallow end based on what's known so far. Really doubling down on things you don't understand or are set on spreading FUD about.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Businesses need to pony up the $$$, if ST is offered to them via Google, maybe it will be less expensive then DirecTV, that will help offset the higher Broadband costs.
+ bigger maybe Matrix Switchers + steaming boxes + some way to get NHL CI, NBA LP, MLB EI, local rsn's, ESPN. Right now ESPN + Businessen is directv only. So I think that google maybe forced to use directv till more steamers sell Businessen accounts for TV. And will google f**k up the black outs and get sued by CBS and FOX?

I guess that I am not going to have Sunday Ticket after this deal is done. I refuse to continue to be forced into buying all these streaming channels. Ultimately, it will be more expensive then Directv or cable. Trying to force it on us just like they are rying to forced us to buy electric cars. Batteries do not produce energy they only store it. You will still rely on fossil fuels to produce the energy to charge them.

No matter what, still going to be a lot cheaper then subbing to DirecTV, except for those that share a account with a Landlord.

At a extremely high price and your definition of Real TV is different then others.

And the picture is better with YTTV at 1080P and the sound DD+, DirecTV did not have that.

Lets do basic math

Directv paid 1.5 billion

Google will pay 2.5 billion

It won't be $300 with google..probably closer to $500

Directv could give it free with $ 200 sub

Youtube tv only charges $60 so it won't be free

I don't see it as cheaper

• Haha
Reactions: SamCdbs and meStevo
Status
Please reply by conversation.