DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From SI.com "Amazon and Google are the final two choices remaining for the NFL." That speaks volumes about what is happening

The NFL will love it if the Red Zone channel goes away. It was hurting sales of the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Uh, what? NFL Red Zone is so successful there are two of them right now. One is produced by DirecTV and available with Sunday Ticket, with Andrew Siciliano.

The NFL Network-produced NFL Red Zone is already on most providers, w/ Scott Hansen. Probably coming next season to DirecTV.

Wondering if you have to have a particular level of package with YT if they get it.
I don't have YT, but I presume they have various levels of programming.

Only Positive is its Streaming, so I would think you can activate it in September and turn it off in January, I would hope.

There are no tiers, just add-ons. Base package is $65. You can turn it off/on by the month as you please. Their business model supports this because every new customer doesn't cost them $700-800 up front like DirecTV.

Alternatively they could just offer it as part of their Primetime Channels:

The value there would be getting people to use their platform (this and brand value are why it doesn't have to be profitable with just subscription fees, something often ignored by the detractors), which lends itself to using it other ways as well (be that YTTV or adding other products in the Primetime space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo
How can you say correct, no one knows anything yet.
Because basic math.
Same answer, let us see the details first.
Basic math.
DirecTV has never been the top TV Service, Comcast was and still doing better then DirecTV.

Comcast at it’s highest for video subs-23.99 Million Q2 2016

DirecTV 21.01 million Q1 2017

Pretty good for a service that is regional vs a luxury nationwide service.

English much? Superior in quality. Always, From day one. Subscriber counts bore me.
Specially for those that share it with their landlord and pay only $65 for it.
I don’t know where you got that. Nor why it is relevant. What I actually said, if it matters, is that my DirecTV bill was included in my rent, BUT it would be $65 if I paid for it. But I wouldn’t care if it was $500. Life is too short to sit about and try to save four cent on a length of rope.
And yet they are gaining subs, even without a RSN, unlike DirecTV which has lost about 12 million subscribers and continues to lose 400-500,000 every quarter.
Yawn. Yes now that there are other choices, some people have moved away. It’s a problem for the RSN.

The big question is how does YTTV use ST to grow subscribers, sports fan subscribers, and not have the main channel sports fans need?
By the way, all Traditional Providers were in the negative for the 3rd Quarter, yet the OTT Live TV Services gained-

Notice something about my posts, I provide links and Proof for the information I provide.
Most I noticed things like not understanding how Nielsen rates the NFL, thinking 82M more people watch it than actual do, other basic mistakes. You just don’t know enough about the business. But you can google up stats about how many people don’t like sports and thus switched to streaming, and then, incorrectly, extrapolate that into some kind of inevitable trend.

I also note you never could answer the basic question. Exactly what needs to happen for the money gushing streaming (non-linear streaming, not YTTV like we are talking about here) industry to become profitable? Exactly what.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Who is forcing you?

From my posts, people here know I am extremely happy streaming, but no one is forcing me to get Discovery+, so I don’t.

But if I had a service like DirecTV, I would be forced to get channels like Food Network, Bravo, too many more to mention and having to pay that per sub fee for channels I would never watch.

I get the vast majority of content from Traditional Providers on Steaming Services and pay far less-

Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC)
AMC+-$30
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $838, divide by 12=$69.83 a month.

The average price for DirecTV with the new price increase-$145 a month

I love my Mach E, saves me money not paying for gas and not wasting time buying gas.

Learn something everyday.
I'm glad that you get what you watch at a price you like. I am a huge sports fan and none of the streaming services can provide waht I want to watch. To each their own to determine what is too costly for them. I stream a lot of content also, but as I said sports programming is not readily available.

Starting next season, "Sunday Ticket" will be available as an add-on package on YouTube TV and standalone a la carte on YouTube Primetime Channels.

Sorry to doomsayers but it's now official. It will be available stand-alone.

we need to make week 1 next year FAIL SO BAD that they are forced to offer it back on directv to homes (likely still on there for bars)

we need to make week 1 next year FAIL SO BAD that they are forced to offer it back on directv to homes (likely still on there for bars)
DIRECTV still has the contract for commercial use and will still be distributed to bars and restaraunts by DIRECTV. This deal with Google is only for residential sales.

• Haha
Reactions: comp9
Directv signed a multi year deal for commercial earlier on.

Unless I missed something, there's nothing in there about commercial rights. All I see is this:

Still, the satellite-TV provider had been open to still offering the games for commercial establishments, such as bars and restaurants, similar to its agreement with Amazon for “Thursday Night Football,” according to people familiar with the matter.

You will not get any help from me, Day 1 sign up.

And once again, no one took it away from DirecTV, who announced that they will not bid on the contract, DirecTV decided not to carry it anymore.

So be disappointed at them who could have used it to grow their Stream Service, while keeping it on Satellite .

DIRECTV still has the contract for commercial use and will still be distributed to bars and restaraunts by DIRECTV. This deal with Google is only for residential sales.
Directv signed a multi year deal for commercial earlier on.

From Juan’s link-

"The NFL and YouTube will work together to determine additional ways to support distribution of NFL Sunday Ticket in commercial establishments such as bars and restaurants."

Scott, doesn’t Google have a relationship with Dish?

You will not get any help from me, Day 1 sign up.

And once again, no one took it away from DirecTV, who announced that they will not bid on the contract, DirecTV decided not to carry it anymore.

So be disappointed at them who could have used it to grow their Stream Service, while keeping it on Satellite .
Glad you got that much money for one sport..with directv you got sunday ticket free..as well as premium sports coverage for a decent amount...youtube tv has barely any sports

More details

Looking forward to hearing more about this:

Updated NFL Sunday Ticket product features and functionality will be announced ahead of the 2023 NFL season.

Probably innovations like single game, single team, single week, etc.

Glad you got that much money for one sport..with directv you got sunday ticket free..as well as premium sports coverage for a decent amount
To get that ST for free, you have to agree to a 2 year contract that would cost over $2300 for that timeframe.

With it being on YouTube PrimeTime, no having to subscribe and force to pay for Live TV.
...youtube tv has barely any sports
here-

YouTube TV includes the following sports channels:
  • ACC Network (ACCN)
  • BIG TEN
  • CBS Sports Network
  • ESPN, ESPN2
  • ESPNews
  • ESPNU
  • FS1, FS2
  • Golf Channel
  • MLB Network
  • NBA TV
  • NBC Sports
  • NBC Sports Network
  • NFL Network
  • Olympic Channel
  • SEC Network
Then-
YouTube TV also has a Sports Plus add-on package that includes channels like the NFL RedZone Channel, beIN Sports, GolTV, Fox Soccer Plus, Fight Network, and Stadium for $11 per month or $80 a year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.