DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Right, but the volume isn't there to support a package like Sunday Ticket at the popularity and dollar values it now commands. The subs aren't there to pay for the requisite base packages to produce the required ROI or this would have never been in doubt.

Satellite subs remain in freefall, the bottom has yet to be found.
If directv can't give it away..what makes you think that millions will run to streaming and pay $300?

Where does it say they cannot give it away? They can no longer attract the number of customers to produce the ROI the package commands anymore.
Who's fault is That ?
That is the NFL's fault, Not D*'s .

The NFL is the one thats demanding the high cost ....

Who's fault is That ?
That is the NFL's fault, Not D*'s .

The NFL is the one thats demanding the high cost ....

The market is the one dictating the cost they can get for the most popular sport in the US. DirecTV doesn't have a business model to support that cost.

Otherwise, sure, I guess it's the NFL's fault for becoming so successful and valuable.

To be clear, it's DirecTV unable to attract the customers willing to pay for core services (as well as Sunday Ticket), to make NFL Sunday Ticket viable for them going forward.

No, No, No ....
If the NFL wasn
The market is the one dictating the cost they can get for the most popular sport in the US. DirecTV doesn't have a business model to support that cost.

Otherwise, sure, I guess it's the NFL's fault for becoming so successful and valuable.

To be clear, it's DirecTV unable to attract the customers willing to pay for core services (as well as Sunday Ticket), to make NFL Sunday Ticket viable for them going forward.
If the NFL wasn't as Greedy as they are, they wouldn't required 700 BILLION dollars for thier product , then D* or any other company wouldn't have to charge so damn much.

Remember, this started out at $79 for the whole league ...

Reactions: AZ.
No, No, No ....
If the NFL wasn

If the NFL wasn't as Greedy as they are, they wouldn't required 700 BILLION dollars for thier product , then D* or any other company wouldn't have to charge so damn much.

Remember, this started out at $79 for the whole league ...

If they weren't worth it (they are) they wouldn't have gotten it (they did).

Which is fine, because streaming is about tiny niches watching niche programming at whatever time is coinvent for them. For 95% just a supplement. Totally fine.

So is Traditional TV, What is a DVR.
But its not ready for prime time on an NFL game, or even playoffs in the other sports, et al. It just doesn't have the capacity for millions of people to watch the same thing, all at once.
Amazon Prime had TNF last season ( shared with, I believe, CBS), had no issues reported.

Once again, no one in power gives a **** about rural Americans. "Good" internet will exist where a capital return can be made on it. That is to say, exactly where it is today. Absent a massive government subsidy, that is it. And, IMHO, no political group of any stripe really cares about rural America.
Actually some do think there is money to be made with the underserved, Star Link is one example.
These people are called "people that don't like sports'. Out of date technology, but still true quote. "Why are sports important to TV? Because nobody can go to Blockbuster and rent tonight's game." Still true. Sports are only valuable LIVE. People that like live sports, have LIVE TV. Really that simple.
ok, one more time, Sports are streaming, MLB, NBA, NHL all stream, all live, it may not be in the format you wish, but they all do it.

And the picture quality is so much better, watch the Tigers the other day, in real 1080P.

As far as streaming the rest, Local games, majority of College Football / Basketball ( very underserved ), etc will all be streaming in 3-5 years, no way are they going to leave money out there, specially since Traditional Providers are losing so many customers ( per sub fee).
So people that don't like sports, now don't have to pay for them. Good for them.
And I do not have to pay for programming that I do not want with a Traditional Provider, for example, the local RSN, no interest in Florida’s teams, so I get to avoid that $10 RSN Charge or that Local Broadcast fee, I have a Antenna but barely use it since everything on the Networks is on streaming services.
The number of people who have ST (and ESPN, and FS1, and Golf Channel, and their local RSN, etc.) is a known number. Those that currently do so.
And a number that is decreasing, Traditional Providers have gone from 100 subs to 66 million subs since 2013, just 9 years, that is why everyone is looking at streaming to make up the loss of per sub fees.
Plus a literal handful of people that wish oh wish streaming was something other than it is, and always will be. For 95% of people, its just the modern version of HBO, a supplement to linear TV.
So much more then that, when I can pick up the remote and watch mostly anything at whenever I want to is incredible, I am 55 so I remember the old days of TV, waiting for something of interest to be on Live TV, no way do I want to go back to that.
And offer to solve two huge problems the "winner" has. As the "winner" will L O S E money by the bucketsfull on this deal, they need to lose as little as possible. So, on the commercial side, DirecTV offers almost metaphysically 100% of all the commercial establishments who want the service, and can easily simply pass it through to them on a no profit basis (or even make a modest profit from the service) and avoid the tens of thousands of such establishments that would drop the package otherwise, thus cutting the "winner's" losses substantially. Likewise, as 99.9999999% of people who currently want ST, have ST, DirecTV offers to supply those customers, a significant %age of which would otherwise be unserved because of broadband issues.
There is roughly 120 Million Households that do not have DirecTV in the US, you cannot say that out of all of those that some will not want NFLST.

There has been even some here in this thread that has said something different.

I want ST but do not want anything to do with DirecTV, way overpriced, old equipment, they have no plan for the future except for hoping that streaming Live TV works out for them.
Meanwhile the "winner" can try to sell out of town NFL games, on against "free" games on OTA TV, to people who would rather watch The Handmaid's Tale or Ozark.
And you just pointed out what is great about streaming services, you those great shows ( and tons other) plus you get the majority of programming from Traditional Broadcasters all at a much less price.

Also noticed you are streaming, see you in the Star Trek Strange New Worlds thread, cannot get that on DirecTV, but on Paramount+ you get all the content from Viacom Channels, even get sports, NFL, March Madness, Golf, etc.

Also get the other shows you cannot get via Traditional, just watched The Offer, great, but no way it would be on regular CBS.

So is Traditional TV, What is a DVR.
Mainstream TV. And a device for recording mainstream TV. TV for the masses. TV for people who are out to enjoy life, and not out to save a few pennies.

For most, streaming is just a supplement, like HBO was 20 years ago. Extra. On top of mainstream TV. For others, a way to avoid paying for sports, which they don't like.

Only a literal handful wish oh wish it was something other than it is. And always will be.

Amazon Prime had TNF last season ( shared with, I believe, CBS), had no issues reported.
Reported.

And, while CBS had no role in, all but THREE games were also on traditional linear TV, either NBC, Fox, or NFLN.

This fall, supposedly, Amazon will have almost all of the Thursday night games (the lowest rated games, by far). I really see it all crashing out by October and the NFL tossing the games up on NFLN due to the customer backlash.

Because streaming is just not ready for prime time.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Mainstream TV. And a device for recording mainstream TV. TV for the masses. TV for people who are out to enjoy life, and not out to save a few pennies.

For most, streaming is just a supplement, like HBO was 20 years ago. Extra. On top of mainstream TV. For others, a way to avoid paying for sports, which they don't like.

Only a literal handful wish oh wish it was something other than it is. And always will be.

Reported.

And, while CBS had no role in, all but THREE games were also on traditional linear TV, either NBC, Fox, or NFLN.

This fall, supposedly, Amazon will have almost all of the Thursday night games (the lowest rated games, by far). I really see it all crashing out by October and the NFL tossing the games up on NFLN due to the customer backlash.

Because streaming is just not ready for prime time.
That wasn’t last season and not Thursday Night Football.

Now find something about last season on Thursday, not 2 seasons ago on Saturday.

Last edited:
Dud you read your post?
Satellite dying despite free NFL sunday ticket
They all are dying a slow death.

Both Dish and DirecTV have lost, roughly, the same percentage of subs, but yet DirecTV has all the sports and Dish has hardly any except the national stuff

Satellite will go before Cable TV because the birds in the air have a lifespan and they are not building anymore.

DirecTV is also not building any new equipment, that will also hasten the end as more and more boxes will start to fail without replacements and dated tech.

Sat in not dying until the Sats in the sky are retired ....

Just because one format is doing better, doesn't mean the other is dying.
That is not the only reason why Sat. TV is dying, it is how many customers they can lose and still be profitable.

Since DirecTV lost 1 million more subs in 1st and 2nd quarter 2021 ( the last reports that were publicly reported), I believe it could be safe to assume they have lost, at least, 1.5 million more since then.

That would put DirecTV Satellite Subs around 10 million, how many more before they start losing money.

That is not the only reason why Sat. TV is dying, it is how many customers they can lose and still be profitable.

Since DirecTV lost 1 million more subs in 1st and 2nd quarter 2021 ( the last reports that were publicly reported), I believe it could be safe to assume they have lost, at least, 1.5 million more since then.

That would put DirecTV Satellite Subs around 10 million, how many more before they start losing money.
10,000,000 x $100= 1,000,000,000 and thats just saying someone pays $100....I pay twice that!......Id say it will be a long time if ever they lose money? No new equipment, no new satellites...Thats a lot of years in racking in the cash!

Reactions: navychop
Dud you read your post?
Satellite dying despite free NFL sunday ticket

Not only did I read it, I wrote it. You're just ignoring that people don't want to pay for DirecTV but would pay for Sunday Ticket. Giving me a $300 football package isn't enough to get me to agree to give them over $3500 over 24 months... and that's before fees and whatnot that would add at least another $1000. Then also having to pay for Sunday Ticket in subsequent years.

So yeah, pretty clear why they are done with Sunday Ticket, the pricing for their services are no longer compatible with customers who enjoy much more convenient options. Bummer for those unwilling or unable to access it, but that's reality.

Sat in not dying until the Sats in the sky are retired ....

Just because one format is doing better, doesn't mean the other is dying.
Perhaps dying is the wrong word, but the floor hasn't been found yet. What we can definitively say is that the satellite carriers are almost certainly out of the exclusive services game like Sunday Ticket because their business is no longer successful enough to pay what they are worth.

So yeah, pretty clear why they are done with Sunday Ticket, the pricing for their services are no longer compatible with customers who enjoy much more convenient options. Bummer for those unwilling or unable to access it, but that's reality.
Now how long before streaming prices go up and keep climbing? In this greed filled country as soon as most people stream they will jack the price up....The naivety is priceless! And then were will they go?

Now how long before streaming prices go up and keep climbing? In this greed filled country as soon as most people stream they will jack the price up....The naivety is priceless! And then were will they go?

This is largely just FUD, and is what competition is for.

85% of households have at least one streaming subscription. So what are you defining as 'most people' ? lol.

...and that figure is a year old.

This is largely just FUD, and is what competition is for.

85% of households have at least one streaming subscription. So what are you defining as 'most people' ? lol.

...and that figure is a year old.
LOl...........Like when that number is thats their onaly way they watch tv....I get HBO and I get a free streaming of HBO....I have MLB package...Guess what...It comes with a streaming package....All things I cant use because of my internet....So I guess thats real funny to you?.....Ignorance to reality is not a virtue!

Status
Please reply by conversation.