DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Never said that was funny, but for some reason you're the one flailing with the FUD and insults... the world thankfully doesn't revolve around the lowest common denominator when it comes to luxuries like this. I look forward to the innovations a streaming provider can bring to bear on a product as popular as the NFL and the ritual of Football Sundays.

10,000,000 x $100= 1,000,000,000 and thats just saying someone pays $100....I pay twice that!......Id say it will be a long time if ever they lose money? No new equipment, no new satellites...Thats a lot of years in racking in the cash!
That would be great if DirecTV had no expenses, the biggest would be paying content providers.

Now how long before streaming prices go up and keep climbing? In this greed filled country as soon as most people stream they will jack the price up....The naivety is priceless! And then were will they go?
Everything goes up, I did not know DirecTV had some kind of price freeze that kept them from going up, oh wait, they don’t, prices went up on average $5-10 a month a few months ago.

Plus those fees, box, dvr, RSN, Broadcast Locals.

Reactions: Mochuf
LOl...........Like when that number is thats their onaly way they watch tv....I get HBO and I get a free streaming of HBO....I have MLB package...Guess what...It comes with a streaming package....All things I cant use because of my internet....So I guess thats real funny to you?.....Ignorance to reality is not a virtue!
It soon will be for the majority.

Right now, 130 million Households in the United States, 68 million pay for Live TV, 62 million do not.

So a slight majority to Traditional Providers.

Now this-

Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. – representing about 93% of the market – lost about 1,955,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2022, compared to a pro forma net loss of 1,910,000 in 1Q 2021, and 1,960,000 in 1Q 2020.

That means, even if the rate of losses does not go up, I give it about 2 years at the most before the majority flips and more will be without a live TV Service then with.

LOl...........Like when that number is thats their onaly way they watch tv....I get HBO and I get a free streaming of HBO....I have MLB package...Guess what...It comes with a streaming package....All things I cant use because of my internet....So I guess thats real funny to you?.....Ignorance to reality is not a virtue!
Someone who pays $200/month on TV calling someone else ignorant. LOL

10,000,000 x $100= 1,000,000,000 and thats just saying someone pays $100....I pay twice that!......Id say it will be a long time if ever they lose money? No new equipment, no new satellites...Thats a lot of years in racking in the cash!
Ya, the No New Equipment is disturbing ....

Perhaps dying is the wrong word, but the floor hasn't been found yet. What we can definitively say is that the satellite carriers are almost certainly out of the exclusive services game like Sunday Ticket because their business is no longer successful enough to pay what they are worth.
Yes, that I agree with ....
However, Sat still has the same shows and networks ...
Many people are in contracts, so that sucks, it keeps them from even trying to change to streaming ....

There is Plenty on D* outside of ST ....

It soon will be for the majority.

Right now, 130 million Households in the United States, 68 million pay for Live TV, 62 million do not.

So a slight majority to Traditional Providers.

Now this-

Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. – representing about 93% of the market – lost about 1,955,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2022, compared to a pro forma net loss of 1,910,000 in 1Q 2021, and 1,960,000 in 1Q 2020.

That means, even if the rate of losses does not go up, I give it about 2 years at the most before the majority flips and more will be without a live TV Service then with.

Yup, most of those youngsters never watch the news (LIVE TV) have No idea what is going on in the world ...
As long as they can have thier game stations to play shoot them up games, life its great .

Sadly, the games have corrupted this world so much that any one thinks they can go out and shoot people and then just hit the "RESET" button and all is good.

Sadly they will learn thats not how REAL life works, too late ....
There will be nobody left except the last person shooting.

Didn't mean to go there, but all the doom and gloom coming from some of you ...

The world doesn't live in black and white .... its on or off world.

When you shoot someone and kill them, THATS IT, there IS no more.

If more people are streaming than not, does that make you streamers Better ?

NO ...

Your just doing something different, nothing says that the rest of us have to do it your way.

Whats gonna happen all you streamers when the "NEXT" big thing comes around ?

This is largely just FUD, and is what competition is for.

85% of households have at least one streaming subscription. So what are you defining as 'most people' ? lol.

...and that figure is a year old.
Yes, your right ... 85% do ...
What your NOT seeing, is the people that have 1 streaming service, for 1 show, but never use it for anything else.

I bet if you asked more questions regarding the streamers, you'd find a much more accurate number of those that have "Cut the Cord" .....

Btw, its NOT cutting the cord, its changing your platform.
Your still using that same "CORD".

Reactions: SamCdbs
Yes, your right ... 85% do ...
What your NOT seeing, is the people that have 1 streaming service, for 1 show, but never use it for anything else.
When you speak that way, why does it always sound you are referring to yourself?

There are more shows on streaming that I watch then on Cable/Broadcast Networks, I would assume since these services have so many subscribers and are still growing by the millions ( Netflix was the only one that lost a small amount, -200,000) they are many others that watch more then one series.

From the top of my head-
Paramount+-All the Star Treks, Evil, Seal Team, Halo, just finished The Offer, Yellowstone Spin Offs

Disney+-all the Marvel and Star Wars

Hulu-Orville, Handmaid, Solar Opposites

Netflix-Witcher, Stranger Things, Crown, Shadow and Bone, Sweet Tooth, Umbrella Academy, The Lincoln Lawyer and soon The Sandman and Resident Evil.

That is just what I remember, there are much more.

Ya, the No New Equipment is disturbing ....

They are still having brand new equipment manufactured, they just haven't updated the design so they are still making HS17s and C61/C61Ks.

What capabilities are they lacking that the market is demanding? They switched to an "R2" version of the HS17 and C61K a couple years ago, and one of the updates they made was to replace the USB2 port with USB3. Since there's no reason to have a faster port that isn't used by customers anyway, that was likely driven by their supplier discontinuing the USB2 chip they were using.

I expect we'll see an R3 version at some point, maybe the wifi chip will be discontinued and the update will have faster wifi which like USB3 also will not matter.

With millions of STBs being returned by departing subs, I seriously doubt they are manufacturing new ones.

When you speak that way, why does it always sound you are referring to yourself?

There are more shows on streaming that I watch then on Cable/Broadcast Networks, I would assume since these services have so many subscribers and are still growing by the millions ( Netflix was the only one that lost a small amount, -200,000) they are many others that watch more then one series.

From the top of my head-
Paramount+-All the Star Treks, Evil, Seal Team, Halo, just finished The Offer, Yellowstone Spin Offs

Disney+-all the Marvel and Star Wars

Hulu-Orville, Handmaid, Solar Opposites

Netflix-Witcher, Stranger Things, Crown, Shadow and Bone, Sweet Tooth, Umbrella Academy, The Lincoln Lawyer and soon The Sandman and Resident Evil.

That is just what I remember, there are much more.
I could name all the shows currently on D*, but that wouldn't make you understand and better, because you don't want to.

See I can watch all the shows on D* on ONE service.

Why would I want to have to have 4 -10 different services, to be able to get what I already can get on a single service ?

Reactions: SamCdbs
They are still having brand new equipment manufactured, they just haven't updated the design so they are still making HS17s and C61/C61Ks.

What capabilities are they lacking that the market is demanding? They switched to an "R2" version of the HS17 and C61K a couple years ago, and one of the updates they made was to replace the USB2 port with USB3. Since there's no reason to have a faster port that isn't used by customers anyway, that was likely driven by their supplier discontinuing the USB2 chip they were using.

I expect we'll see an R3 version at some point, maybe the wifi chip will be discontinued and the update will have faster wifi which like USB3 also will not matter.
It would be nice if they came out with an updated box that got 4k without needing addl equipment .... NOT a Server ...
A Server, I'm not going to be able to move around for tailgating or camping ....

Basically, update the HR54 so it handles 4k and call it good.

Quit forcing subs to use what they want, that server is only there for thier convenience, makes it easier for the installer, nothing else.

Lets give the sub a CHOICE of recvrs ..... they use to do that.

I could name all the shows currently on D*, but that wouldn't make you understand and better, because you don't want to.

Ok, you cannot get Stranger Things and Star Trek Strange New Worlds on DirecTV ( shows I know you watch), but you can get the majority of shows on DirecTV ( and other Traditional Providers) on streaming services.
Why would I want to have to have 4 -10 different services, to be able to get what I already can get on a single service ?
Changing apps is like changing channels to me.

With millions of STBs being returned by departing subs, I seriously doubt they are manufacturing new ones.

Much of what is being returned is over five years old and not being refurbished, at least as far as Genies and clients. That's why you hear about lots of people with HR44s that Directv doesn't want back, and HR54s are getting to be that age now.

They've kept using H2x and HR2x much longer than five years of course, because they haven't been making those for a long time. But they've been running out and you can only get HR24s as a replacement for one that's failed and even that's not guaranteed any longer.

Cost

Ok, you cannot get Stranger Things and Star Trek Strange New Worlds on DirecTV ( shows I know you watch), but you can get the majority of shows on DirecTV ( and other Traditional Providers) on streaming services.

Changing apps is like changing channels to me.
I don't like paying for 10 different apps to watch what I could watch from one service ... Older people will Not go along with the younger crowd ...

Yes, SOME older people are ok with it, most don't like change.

How about if we take everyones Cell phones away and see how they do .... lets say for a week ...
Younger ones will have no clue how to survive or talk to people.

Better yet, don't take the phone away, just turn off the Internet ... they would never survive.

Reactions: dhpeeple1
Status
Please reply by conversation.